Sponsored by:

Video 911-50 Anniversary Edition in daylight

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Very strange, because this link works for me on my notebook as well as my iPad and iPhone. Maybe try another browser or you're missing a plugin?

Suzy991
It worked on my computer.

I must say...that is one ugly color. I first wanted geyser grey but after reports that it doesn't look very good I thought I'd go graphite gray but this video really makes me doubt on the 911_50 at this point. I think I'll get the GT3 in white...
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I encourage anyone who likes the car, except for the exterior color options, to request PTS. If there's enough demand, they may do it, and then you get exactly what you want. The argument that PTS spoils the limited edition concept seems strange to me when the stock color options include dark gray and black. There's nothing limited or distinctive about dark gray and black. (Geyser gray is unusual, but having seen it, I think good taste will keep it that way.) Prior limited edition colors like true blue (Speedster), British racing green (PCNA), and various GT3 oranges and greens were far more interesting. I would love nothing more than to PTS the 991_50 and create a one-of-a-kind edition of the anniversary car. A killer PTS color, the unique 911_50 design elements, 7MT, and the value pricing of the overall package - that's a winning combo IMO.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:52 PM
scubadiver637
Advanced

Originally Posted by Montesquieu
I encourage anyone who likes the car, except for the exterior color options, to request PTS. If there's enough demand, they may do it, and then you get exactly what you want. The argument that PTS spoils the limited edition concept seems strange to me when the stock color options include dark gray and black. There's nothing limited or distinctive about dark gray and black. (Geyser gray is unusual, but having seen it, I think good taste will keep it that way.) Prior limited edition colors like true blue (Speedster), British racing green (PCNA), and various GT3 oranges and greens were far more interesting. I would love nothing more than to PTS the 991_50 and create a one-of-a-kind edition of the anniversary car. A killer PTS color, the unique 911_50 design elements, 7MT, and the value pricing of the overall package - that's a winning combo IMO.
Well said. Why did Porsche utilize only 2 original core? The 991-50 is supposed to be a tribute to 50 years of 911s. So why not offer the unique colors of each 911 generation?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:53 PM
scubadiver637
Advanced

Not core but colors. Damn spell checker.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know why so many haters of the graphite because I think it's the nicest of the 3 choices.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
I don't know why so many haters of the graphite because I think it's the nicest of the 3 choices.
I agree. I've seen the graphite in person and like it enough to buy it. But if they let me do PTS, I'll switch to something more striking and unusual.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:02 PM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I just placed a deposit (1st in my dealership) for a Geyser Grey 50th, with the coffee brown interior. I wanted a metallic rather than flat paint, so my choice was rather limited I don't think black is special enough, and the graphite grey does have more of an "asphalt" color to it. I think that color is very nice on the original 911 because that car had red interior. With a black interior, it just doesn't stand out. I'm not saying I'm in love with the Geyser Grey, given the limited choices, that's the one I went with.
As for PTS, although that will allow you to get your dream color, IMHO it takes away some "authenticity" for a special edition car. While the colors choices are limited and somewhat boring, they're factory colors. PTS to me means an individual owner's "special edition" rather than Porsche's.
Another interesting thing is, if you haven't watched Chris Harris' video on the Singer 911, it's worth a look. Just search "Chris Harris Singer" on youtube. The two main cars featured in the film have colors very similar to the two greys offered on the 50th. Singer of course is known to modernize the 964 but the colors they choose tend to be heritage colors. Perhaps Porsche choose those two shades of grey as their way of paying homage to the original as well?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
Hi,

As for PTS, although that will allow you to get your dream color, IMHO it takes away some "authenticity" for a special edition car. While the colors choices are limited and somewhat boring, they're factory colors. PTS to me means an individual owner's "special edition" rather than Porsche's.
Another interesting thing is, if you haven't watched Chris Harris' video on the Singer 911, it's worth a look. Just search "Chris Harris Singer" on youtube. The two main cars featured in the film have colors very similar to the two greys offered on the 50th. Singer of course is known to modernize the 964 but the colors they choose tend to be heritage colors. Perhaps Porsche choose those two shades of grey as their way of paying homage to the original as well?
^^^ Exactly! ^^^
I think the same way about it.

Btw... That Harris video about the Singer is awesome. I've seen it a while ago. I follow Chris on youtube for a long time now. He always does interesting videos and I think he's one of the best automotive journalists out there.

Suzy991
Old 06-23-2013, 04:16 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I follow Chris on youtube for a long time now. He always does interesting videos and I think he's one of the best automotive journalists out there.

Suzy991
100% agree! Ever since he took on Ferrari (and was banned by them), he gained my respect and admiration. I think he's tops.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Neo- I think you picked a very classy combination, fully in the retro spirit of the 50th special edition.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^^^ Yes win!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

If they had offered this in GR, I probably would have been in the dealership the next day.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 AM
outamoney
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much for posting the video. I placed a deposit on one of only two 911-50's coming to Calgary and chose Graphite Grey as I thought Geyser was a little too off. After seeing the video I will be changing mine to black, even though it is not one of the classic colors. I do think the wheels, red lettering, brake calipers etc. will be awesome on the black. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by outamoney
Thank you very much for posting the video. I placed a deposit on one of only two 911-50's coming to Calgary and chose Graphite Grey as I thought Geyser was a little too off. After seeing the video I will be changing mine to black, even though it is not one of the classic colors. I do think the wheels, red lettering, brake calipers etc. will be awesome on the black. Thanks again.
You're welcome and congrats with your car!
Black will always be a classic color. The contrast with the chrome parts of the car looks great.

take a screenshot
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
carlom001
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
Hi,
I just placed a deposit (1st in my dealership) for a Geyser Grey 50th, with the coffee brown interior. I wanted a metallic rather than flat paint, so my choice was rather limited I don't think black is special enough, and the graphite grey does have more of an "asphalt" color to it. I think that color is very nice on the original 911 because that car had red interior. With a black interior, it just doesn't stand out. I'm not saying I'm in love with the Geyser Grey, given the limited choices, that's the one I went with.
I also ordered the Geyser as it is the only metallic colour offered, and it seems to work well with the Agate Grey interior. Even though it will not be a DD, I just figured if I don't like the colour, I can always wrap the car with any colour I like, and still maintain the heritage aspect for the future by keeping one of the limited edition colours 'underneath'.

Quick Reply: Video 911-50 Anniversary Edition in daylight