Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesKen
It appears in this forum and Porsche sales most people think the 991 with 400 HP is enough. Yet if you go over to the turbo forum most people recommend the S because the base only has 520HP Then this year Porsche adds a little boost in the S so you get more then 560. It is like there is a completely different demographic for the turbos.
I think that the main reason for people to choose the Turbo S over the Turbo is not only the additional hp. When you count in all the options that come standard on the Turbo S the price difference is marginal, so that makes it much easier to choose for the Turbo S. (Also a lot of people want the Black-Carrera red interior that's only available on the S).
Another thing that plays a role in this, is that the base Turbo has a too small hp bump compared with the 997 according to a lot of people and they want to have the fastest 991 there is... Why? No one knows... They just want to have it.
I read a lot of comments in several turbo forums that a 0-60 time of 2.9 is too slow or that the top speed is not high enough. Rediculous of course. Why bother about 0.1 sec faster or 200mph instead of 205mph? Who is gonna use that anyway??

The Turbo and Turbo S have a different character than a Carrera, because of the turbocharged engine. That would maybe be the only reason why I would want it over a NA 991... It's the ultimate DD 991. I just don't like the looks as much as the Carrera.

On the other hand... That is why a 911 is such a great car, there's a flavor for every taste.

Suzy991
Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

First my apologies. Perhaps I am miss reading you. To me your posts have a somewhat condescending tone. Statements like "I will be willing to bet anything that you lose, and pay attention" don't help. I would also say you talk to people you don't know as if they don't know anything.

By the way Pinarellos are Lamborghinis. There are a lot of other bling bikes that are more like a Porsche. I own one and it does make me faster and I would say I am a very competitive triathlete and cyclist. I will pass on telling you that you would lose if we raced. Since I don't know you that would be silly and why do I care who is faster.

No one here has asked the question is the skill of the driver of the car important. No one has even remotely inferred other wise yet you keep bringing it up. As said above most of us can afford a faster car and lessons and track time.

What we are asking for is first hand experience regarding the power kit. I think most here are correct that is probably not worth the money to most people or not that big an improvement but I think team plutonium explained how I feel in his last post.
I also apologize, if you look at my first post I was just trying to help on what I believe were important points to raise, after strong responses I did say what you quoted.
Again apologies from both sides so life goes on and we can all help each other with constructive comments.

BTW It was not my intension to be condescending, when I said "Against Schummy I bet you lose" its Schummy (Michael Schumacher) !, we all lose.

Last edited by Augustomf; 10-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I think that the main reason for people to choose the Turbo S over the Turbo is not only the additional hp. When you count in all the options that come standard on the Turbo S the price difference is marginal, so that makes it much easier to choose for the Turbo S. (Also a lot of people want the Black-Carrera red interior that's only available on the S).
Another thing that plays a role in this, is that the base Turbo has a too small hp bump compared with the 997 according to a lot of people and they want to have the fastest 991 there is... Why? No one knows... They just want to have it.
I read a lot of comments in several turbo forums that a 0-60 time of 2.9 is too slow or that the top speed is not high enough. Rediculous of course. Why bother about 0.1 sec faster or 200mph instead of 205mph? Who is gonna use that anyway??

The Turbo and Turbo S have a different character than a Carrera, because of the turbocharged engine. That would maybe be the only reason why I would want it over a NA 991... It's the ultimate DD 991. I just don't like the looks as much as the Carrera.

On the other hand... That is why a 911 is such a great car, there's a flavor for every taste.

Suzy991
I have always wanted a a turbo. It was my plan all along to buy a used one. I also think they look better or at least more aggressive but obviously that is personal choice.

I bought the C2S because I really like the new chassis, suspension and PDK. The more I own it the more I like the understated elegance of the base and S model.

As I mentioned I live at altitude and do prefer turbocharged cars. My father has had several 911s and a few turbos. He always tweaks them to get more power. His last one would scare the crap out of you when you floored it. I kind of want that but every day that goes by I am more content with what I have. I will be curious if in a few years I keep what I have or get a 991 turbo.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:21 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Augustomf
when I said "Against Schummy I bet you lose" its Schummy (Michael Schumacher) !, we all lose.
OOps, that went right over my head.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Same here.
I never really liked the Turbo - those side intakes have always looked "patched on" to me. Now the new Turbo is slightly changing it so it is a bit better - but still looks out of place (to me). On the new Cayman - THAT is nice.
But yes, the C2S is real nice, even sexy (and that's not a traditional 911 attribute). Understated but extremely well proportioned, flowing, unbroked lines - except for the rear - the tupperware lid of the wing still gets me a bit - like the stylist ran out of talent right there...

I'm at sea level so the S is perhaps all the 911 I'll ever need. And NA certainly is very nice.

Rainier

I have always wanted a a turbo. It was my plan all along to buy a used one. I also think they look better or at least more aggressive but obviously that is personal choice.

I bought the C2S because I really like the new chassis, suspension and PDK. The more I own it the more I like the understated elegance of the base and S model.

As I mentioned I live at altitude and do prefer turbocharged cars. My father has had several 911s and a few turbos. He always tweaks them to get more power. His last one would scare the crap out of you when you floored it. I kind of want that but every day that goes by I am more content with what I have. I will be curious if in a few years I keep what I have or get a 991 turbo.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Last thought, financially most Porsche options are a real loss, the secondary market price difference between base and heavily optioned car rarely cover the true costs of the extra options. I think the X package will take the same route. I wonder if the 2015 S comes with 430hp, and a 5% increase in base price, what will happen to the secondary market of a 2013 S with the X package, will it be USD20k higher than the regular S? IMO that should also be a consideration when modding a car, unless money is no issue in which case, the question would not have been raised in the first place.

Food for thought, I bought my car used, build price on the car with the options it has USD 122k, I paid 86k, 15 months old 10k miles, because the 1st owner traded it in for a Jaguar F-type. Clearly he did not have any issues with money.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:59 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last thought, financially most Porsche options are a real loss, the secondary market price difference between base and heavily optioned car rarely cover the true costs of the extra options. I think the X package will take the same route. I wonder if the 2015 S comes with 430hp, and a 5% increase in base price, what will happen to the secondary market of a 2013 S with the X package, will it be USD20k higher than the regular S? IMO that should also be a consideration when modding a car, unless money is no issue in which case, the question would not have been raised in the first place.

Food for thought, I bought my car used, build price on the car with the options it has USD 122k, I paid 86k, 15 months old 10k miles, because the 1st owner traded it in for a Jaguar F-type. Clearly he did not have any issues with money.
That's an interesting thought. I've been following the pre-owned market for a few weeks to get a read on that.

Problem is... lack of supply! I've only identified 1 991 S with X51 so far. Personally, given that I would place quite a bit of importance on the X51 option, I would be willing to pay a premium over other options in the sale price.

Probably the average Porsche buyer wouldn't and pre-owned X51 cars will make better financial sense than new.

Time will tell, but my guess is that pre-owned X51 cars will be few and far between.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you imagine the bath he will take when he ditches the F type in a year?!?!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If performance is a priority and you will be spending time above 6000 rpms, buy it. I optioned my 991S X51 very carefully and got everything I wanted, nothing more nothing less. It weighs 3160. Believe me it is very fast.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Atomicman
Intermediate

I had a '07 997 Turbo w/ tiptronic replaced with a '13 991 C4S w/ PDK. In my world and at my age the 991 is far better. Less "boy racer" less "lag" (turbo + slush) and more day-day low rpm practicality (all is relative). Turbos cant be utilized on the streets and the X51 Power kits are similar for the same reasons.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomicman
I had a '07 997 Turbo w/ tiptronic replaced with a '13 991 C4S w/ PDK. In my world and at my age the 991 is far better. Less "boy racer" less "lag" (turbo + slush) and more day-day low rpm practicality (all is relative). Turbos cant be utilized on the streets and the X51 Power kits are similar for the same reasons.
So you've spent time behind the wheel of a 991s w/power kit?
Old 10-05-2013, 02:26 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both an '13 991S Cab with the Powerkit and a 996 TT with some Evoms modifcations/upgrades. Completely different drivers. 991 is actually more fun to drive using PDK and being a gear or two lower than normal Turbo has immense torque so just goes about it's business very quickly. Which do I prefer overall? Both are equal fun to drive but in a different manner.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
If I didn't live at altitude, then I'd go with the power kit. Ordered it on my 997 C4S and it was wicked BUT altitude demands boost.

At or near sea level the power kit would be perfect.
I had a 997 C4S with the powerkit and I agree, it was wicked!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 PM
9114s
Intermediate

I have 991 Coupe 4S 2013 pdk, I will have the Power kit X51 installed starting this Monday here in the bay area, it was ordered 3 weeks ago and came direct from Germany. I got 15% off the list price after playing with 3 Porsche dealer in the area.
I think the gain in HP and torque is significant as it will allow to exploit the 6000 to 7800 range. overall with all the options including the kit my car will have cost me ~ $147K, roughly the same as GT3 with couple of options but I wanted to have a car with 4 wheels drive and be able to cruise and "race" at the same time.
I owned 2 corvettes GS and ZR1. Both torque machines but useless under the rain, cannot follow a Prius...I then bought 991 cab 2s but was disappointed with the performance, I tried the 991 4s coupe it was day and night, I am not exactly sure why it so much better that the cab version...
I think with the power kit I will get what I was looking for as the kit also includes extra radiator (very good for the engine here in CA) and the noise machine button option that I do not have yet but included with the kit.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ why not a turbo?

Quick Reply: Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?