Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?

Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been thinking about the power-kit lately and kinda kick myself for not including it with my order to begin with. You can get the kit for $11k, but I'm thinking installing it is quite involved. Did anyone do this yet?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also considering it. The dealer quoted me close to 20 k to do it. They were charging more then 11k for the parts but I think they would come down quite a bit. They said it would take 2 weeks to do. I also read here somewhere that some other poster ordered one and it took several months to get the kit.

I would prefer to order the parts from Suncoast but the dealer said that would effect the warranty. I wonder if this another thing they would negotiate. If they are OEM parts I don't know why they would care.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by JamesKen
I am also considering it. The dealer quoted me close to 20 k to do it. They were charging more then 11k for the parts but I think they would come down quite a bit. They said it would take 2 weeks to do. I also read here somewhere that some other poster ordered one and it took several months to get the kit.

I would prefer to order the parts from Suncoast but the dealer said that would effect the warranty. I wonder if this another thing they would negotiate. If they are OEM parts I don't know why they would care.
2 weeks seems rather excessive. My master tech said it will take him 3 days. He did say it will be a pain in the butt, but nothing too crazy. My dealership would match the suncoast price of $11K... and it would cost me around $3K to install it. So it is still quite expensive for 30 more hp...
Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Thanks, I think everything they told me was excessive. I think for 14 k I would do it and when I am ready we will see how much they will come down. What I really want is a used 991 turbo cab for a good price. I wonder how many years that will take.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly, the 991S has enough power. Think about this, in some circuits the base 911 is faster than the S. And I am sure that any driver that has had some school training will lap faster in a base 991 the a driver without training on an S.
My 2c, the power package is for bragging only! You will never use that extra power on the street, and on the track there are many other variables that can make you improve your time and enjoyment for much less money.

BTW mine is a S with PDCC, an option that will help you getting the track faster and costs much less, plus helps you with tire wear.

I would think that a better use of the $$$ would be using it on tires, brake pads, rotors, instructor and track time.

Last edited by Augustomf; 10-01-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augustomf
Honestly, the 991S has enough power. Think about this, in some circuits the base 911 is faster than the S. And I am sure that any driver that has had some school training will lap faster in a base 991 the a driver without training on an S.
My 2c, the power package is for bragging only! You will never use that extra power on the street, and on the track there are many other variables that can make you improve your time and enjoyment for much less money.

Use the 20k for tires, brake pads, rotors, instructor and track time
Will you still say this when an X51 S walks you on every long straight, track or street?

Now, bang for the buck-wise, its not a tremendous value, I agree. But then again, Porsches aren't a bang for the buck car. The thing about the X51 though, its factory proven hardware, not internet marketed bolt-ons...
Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Augustomf

Use the 20k for tires, brake pads, rotors, instructor and track time

I think overall you have a valid point but enough power for whom and who is spending 20 k on this kit. I would also say part of your argument says we should all buy Miatas because really it is the driver that is important. I would also think that as a Porsche owner you would know that it does not have to be an X-51 kit or track wheels, lessons etc.

On what track is a base faster then an S. Same driver, same suspension and 50 pounds versus 50 hp, really??

I am on the fence because what I really want is a 500 plus HP turbocharged car and the X-51 kit is not going to get me there.

Last edited by JamesKen; 10-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:05 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think overall you have a valid point but enough power for whom and who is spending 20 k on this kit. I would also say part of your argument says we should all buy Miata's because really it is the driver that is important. I would also think that as a Porsche owner you would know that it does not have to be an X-51 kit or track wheels, lessons etc.

On what track is a base faster then a S. Same driver, same suspension and 50 pounds versus 50 hp, really??

I am on the fence because what I really want is a 500 plus HP turbocharged car and the X-51 kit is not going to get me there.
X51 configured cars should be capable of some pretty awesome numbers and provide a better driving experience than a Turbo car.

I recently drove a 997.2 Turbo S on a track and was underwhelmed. It was very fast, sure, but engine sound was VERY poor and the AWD is a liability in hard cornering (IMO) compare to a proper handling RWD car.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:17 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I need all the extra help I can get, since I weigh close to 300 lbs.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I didn't live at altitude, then I'd go with the power kit. Ordered it on my 997 C4S and it was wicked BUT altitude demands boost.

At or near sea level the power kit would be perfect.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:07 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Same here. I hear so many people pick on the turbos for various reasons. I live at 6,700 feet and my favorite road is quite a bit higher. I can feel the car loose power.

I was really torn between a 997 turbo and the 991 C2S. As I said someday I hope to have the 991 turbo but think the power kit might help in the mean time but yes that is a whole lot of money for 30HP.

General Jack I have driven quite a few turbos and would not trade my 991 for a 997 turbo. I also think the 997 turbos sound is lacking. I completely disagree about the 4 wheel drive comment. While obviously I have not driven a 991 turbo I have driven a 991 C4S at the track and think it handles as well or better then a C2S in the corners. I assume the 991 turbo would be even better with the new steering. Thing is if 16 or so k is to much for extra power then the price of a 991 turbo anytime in the next few years is more then I am willing to spend. Maybe 400 hp is enough and 430 is enough plus a bonus. Real hard to say with out driving one or more fist hand experience from someone.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not just get an fvd,cargraphic or fabspeed full system? The gains seem to be near enough 30bhp or is that a lot of ****e ??
Old 10-01-2013, 04:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

And I live like 10 feet above sea level so I guess I made a good choice..

Freakin JohnyBahamas - I'm going to start charging you for lost revenue for the time I spend staring at that damn avatar!!!!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:29 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bigfra
Why not just get an fvd,cargraphic or fabspeed full system? The gains seem to be near enough 30bhp or is that a lot of ****e ??
I have thought about this as an option along with just putting a turbo or super charger in my car when the warranty is up. My problem is I think those claims from all the exhaust companies are bull "****e" and the ones form Porsche underrated like everything else they post. I am sure you get some HP and I bet in a year or so a X-51 kit some exhaust upgrade and a flash could get you close to 450.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

but yes that is a whole lot of money for 30HP.

Maybe 400 hp is enough
In real life, yes, and yes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?