Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by handful
Absolutely, I custom ordered mine and negotiated the discount up front. 5% is the bare minimum.
That's great to know, I didn't realize buyers had that much leverage.

The 5% would make me feel better about springing for the powerkit.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:39 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlanka
Jack, I got 5% off on a custom order for my 2014 C4S with X51 and a bunch of other stuff.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7568...uild-info.html

Might have been able to get more if I pressed...
Thanks for sharing, I'll use that as my benchmark should I proceed with the 991 S.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cars and Coffee a couple of weeks ago:

racing yellow, black leather interior, yellow gauges, X51 power kit, pdk, spasm, sports chrono, pse, no sunroof, platinum carrera s wheels, sports design aero, burmester
Nice to see some cars in the Sears Outlet parking lot! My office is nearby and I don't see any activity there very often.

Guess I'll have to see if my dealer has a powerkit equipped car I can try to see what all the fuss is about. As I recall, on the 997.2 you could have authorized service install the powerkit on a car until it hit 25,000 miles.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:10 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Nice to see some cars in the Sears Outlet parking lot! My office is nearby and I don't see any activity there very often.

Guess I'll have to see if my dealer has a powerkit equipped car I can try to see what all the fuss is about. As I recall, on the 997.2 you could have authorized service install the powerkit on a car until it hit 25,000 miles.
\\\\

Or you could just drive my car.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

\\\\

Or you could just drive my car.
Murphy's Law says "No, Don't do it!!!"

Ping me next time there's a Cars & Coffee and I'll stop by and say Hello
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Murphy's Law says "No, Don't do it!!!"

Ping me next time there's a Cars & Coffee and I'll stop by and say Hello
Tomorrow between 9 and 12. Because of the heat most everybody gets there between 9 and 10 - hope to see you there.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Remember the cab is heavier vs coupe so in your case the coupe wt advantage could offset x51 in cab...
Just did some calculations. The coupe weights 1395kg and the cabriolet 1465 kg. These work out (at 2.2 pounds per kilo) to 3070 pounds and 3223 pounds respectively. The weight to power ratio is therefore 7.675 pounds per hp for the S and 7.495 pounds per hp for the X51 Cab. You are very slightly ahead with the X51 cab over the standard S coupe.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

Folks,

I got the Power Kit approved for Grand-Am racing in 2011 and we retro-fitted these kits on the 997.2 engines. Since then I have climbed all over the cylinder heads and have compared ports, valve sizes, etc. It looks like the intake ports are being "CNCd" to "gasket match" the intake manifold gaskets.

The biggest producing component of the "Power Kit" on the 997.2 was the aluminum intake manifold that was different in design behind the throttle body AND featured a variable length intake runner (similar to the RX7 design from back in the day.) Coupled with 200 more RPM and an additional hole in the decklid for breathing, the Power Kit boasted 23 crank hp. We saw 18rwhp roughly so there are advantages to be gained when switching from the non-power kit setup to the power-kit setup.

The thing to make note of is the power and torque on the 991 3.8L vs. cars from years passed. The torque maps are more readily available to the factory now and look at the flywheel torque number of the 991 base 3.8L. It has a ton of bottom end and i'm assuming with the Power Kit that it's all horsepower as it's all more air flowing through the heads so it will translate to power not torque for the majority. Just my $.02. Either way, it's something that should be ordered and not purchased after the fact, as it's more expensive that way. I think that those of you that are ordering PDK/7speed 991s with Power Kits because you don't want to wait for the GT3 or can't get a manul, won't be disappointed.

While no one on this forum will ever agree with me, what you get for the money with a 9A1 engine these days relative to what you would pay for a GT3 engine, isn't worth it. That 991 motor is $13K if you woke up tomorrow and decided you wanted a new one and had a core to return.

You just cant get the type of power for the money because when you order a GT3 motor with that sort of pricing you start asking yourself if $40K is worth 40hp.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

GT3

Compared to the 3.8 S/ X51

2000 rpms -30 lb. ft
3000 -30
4000 -40
5000 -18
6000 0
7000 +3

Given these numbers the GT3 is looking like a dedicated track car and one that needs to be on full boil all the time to extract maximum performance.
For a complete comparison with the GT3 you need to factor in the Torque multiplication of the final drive ratio. The GT3 is 3.97 and has specific transmission ratios - while it may favor a little more RPM, I doubt you'll need to be at full song to enjoy the drive.

Ryan
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 AM
General Jack
Instructor

Resurrecting this thread... anyone else own or driven a 991S with the X 51 powerkit?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by General Jack
Resurrecting this thread... anyone else own or driven a 991S with the X 51 powerkit?
I have a C2S coupe (with PSE) and a friend has a C4S Cab with x-51. Both PDK.

When I drove his car the engine felt better to me. It clearly revved faster to the redline than mine. The effect was instantly noticeable and very desirable.

When he drove mine he was certain that mine was faster. Given similar torque figures, and his car being heavier with 4wd and top mechanisms, that makes sense. Of course, being on public roads we did not get to higher speeds, much.

It comes with PSE, Sport Chrono and front center radiator, and many internal engine goodies. I am sure one gets their money's worth with the power kit. I wish I had it.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Folks,

I got the Power Kit approved for Grand-Am racing in 2011 and we retro-fitted these kits on the 997.2 engines. Since then I have climbed all over the cylinder heads and have compared ports, valve sizes, etc. It looks like the intake ports are being "CNCd" to "gasket match" the intake manifold gaskets.

The biggest producing component of the "Power Kit" on the 997.2 was the aluminum intake manifold that was different in design behind the throttle body AND featured a variable length intake runner (similar to the RX7 design from back in the day.) Coupled with 200 more RPM and an additional hole in the decklid for breathing, the Power Kit boasted 23 crank hp. We saw 18rwhp roughly so there are advantages to be gained when switching from the non-power kit setup to the power-kit setup.

The thing to make note of is the power and torque on the 991 3.8L vs. cars from years passed. The torque maps are more readily available to the factory now and look at the flywheel torque number of the 991 base 3.8L. It has a ton of bottom end and i'm assuming with the Power Kit that it's all horsepower as it's all more air flowing through the heads so it will translate to power not torque for the majority. Just my $.02. Either way, it's something that should be ordered and not purchased after the fact, as it's more expensive that way. I think that those of you that are ordering PDK/7speed 991s with Power Kits because you don't want to wait for the GT3 or can't get a manul, won't be disappointed.

While no one on this forum will ever agree with me, what you get for the money with a 9A1 engine these days relative to what you would pay for a GT3 engine, isn't worth it. That 991 motor is $13K if you woke up tomorrow and decided you wanted a new one and had a core to return.

You just cant get the type of power for the money because when you order a GT3 motor with that sort of pricing you start asking yourself if $40K is worth 40hp.
Is that all that is included? I thought the cam shafts were supposed to be the big ticket in this package.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I have one. Problem is I have nothing to compare it to.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlanka
I have one. Problem is I have nothing to compare it to.
Did you special order or buy off of a dealer lot?

Love your specs, I'm thinking aero kit and X51 myself.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you special order or buy off of a dealer lot?

Love your specs, I'm thinking aero kit and X51 myself.
mine was a custom order. My specs are listed in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7568...uild-info.html

Quick Reply: Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?