Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   How It's Made: Dream Cars (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/762072-how-its-made-dream-cars.html)

jlanka 06-18-2013 09:15 AM

How It's Made: Dream Cars

The first episode was the 991. Watched it last night. Pretty good peek inside the factory.

http://science.discovery.com/tv-show...dream-cars.htm

mtbscott 06-18-2013 09:38 AM

A few minor inaccuracies (did you all know we have a V6?), but a nice quick overview, and the manual/automated factory line is incredible to watch.

jlanka 06-18-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by mtbscott (Post 10546695)
A few minor inaccuracies (did you all know we have a V6?), but a nice quick overview, and the manual/automated factory line is incredible to watch.

I didn't catch that one...

jlanka 06-18-2013 09:42 AM

I thought the coolest part was watching the engine build.

Also what was awesome for me were 2 things:

1) Watching the show for the first time _while_ my car was being built

2) Watching them put the letters on the back of a black C4S which happens to be the car they're building for me and the exact letter scheme I chose (no deletions).

stealthboy 06-18-2013 09:59 AM

Good find. I really liked the National Geographic Megafactories episode on the re-tooling for the 991. The editing and sound effects were a little annoying, but there was some great content in there.

jlanka 06-18-2013 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by stealthboy (Post 10546731)
Good find. I really liked the National Geographic Megafactories episode on the re-tooling for the 991. The editing and sound effects were a little annoying, but there was some great content in there.

yes I think that was a little better than this one

kosmo 06-18-2013 10:36 AM

30mins is too short. The Natgeo one was better.

Still I learned that it takes 5 cows to do full leather interior! "Eat more chiken" Mooooo.

SanibelSpeed 06-18-2013 11:30 AM

This show is totally discredited IMO by the fact that the narrator can't even pronounce the name. It's POR-SHUH, not PORSH. Might as well say "TOY-OAT" for Toyota.:banghead:

stealthboy 06-18-2013 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed (Post 10546958)
This show is totally discredited IMO by the fact that the narrator can't even pronounce the name. It's POR-SHUH, not PORSH. Might as well say "TOY-OAT" for Toyota.:banghead:

Seriously. It's 2013 and people still think it's a one syllable word?

To be fair, the German pronunciation is a little more like "PORSH - eh"

But I guess this is a debate that will go on forever. I've stopped correcting people I encounter in the real world because I think it can just make me look pretentious.

mrstep 06-18-2013 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by stealthboy (Post 10547031)
Seriously. It's 2013 and people still think it's a one syllable word?

To be fair, the German pronunciation is a little more like "PORSH - eh"

But I guess this is a debate that will go on forever. I've stopped correcting people I encounter in the real world because I think it can just make me look pretentious.

Given that all of my closer relatives are over in Germany/Austria, I'll vouch for the "PORSCH - eh".

Look at the bright side, Mercedes (when pronounced mer-say-dees) is also butchered, so at least there's plenty to go around. ;)

SanibelSpeed 06-18-2013 04:25 PM

The problem is that once it's in the American vernacular, it becomes 'correct'. Plenty of websites say it is the accepted American pronunciation. Shudder.

I'm American and am embarrassed at the dumbing-down on our citizenry, and I don't mean this in any prejudiced or political way: just that our educational system has fallen so far behind and street slang is so tolerated. The things that really bother me - and I know, this is geting waaaay off topic - are things like:
"I could care less"
"Can you borrow me some money?"
"Me and him went to the store"
"They gave it to my wife and I"
And so on. And don't get me started on spelling!

What's most galling is that most Europeans speak better English than most Americans. Most Indians, too.

mrstep 06-18-2013 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed (Post 10547689)
The problem is that once it's in the American vernacular, it becomes 'correct'. Plenty of websites say it is the accepted American pronunciation. Shudder.

I'm American and am embarrassed at the dumbing-down on our citizenry, and I don't mean this in any prejudiced or political way: just that our educational system has fallen so far behind and street slang is so tolerated. The things that really bother me - and I know, this is geting waaaay off topic - are things like:
"I could care less"
"Can you borrow me some money?"
"Me and him went to the store"
"They gave it to my wife and I"

What's most galling is that most Europeans speak better English than most Americans. Most Indians, too.

I agree with all of your examples, but the "silent e" gets drilled into people's heads in school. Obviously that rule isn't correct when applied to German, but I'm not surprised more people don't know that.

But if you don't like the dropped 'e'... I once got a parking ticket for parking my "Porch" (written that way) on the street. I suspect that particular officer's pronunciation would have been even more grating. :)

Now for extra credit, ask them to pronounce Huayra!

Some O/T personal pet peeves in terms of misspellings and misuses:

there / their / they're
to / too
your / you're
"literally"
"unique"
"my bad"
i before e, unless thier wrong about that.

meine911 06-18-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed (Post 10547689)
...this is geting waaaay off topic...

Wouldn't even think about it;)

Hammer911 06-18-2013 06:53 PM

I agree...it makes me nauseous.;)

Suzy991 06-18-2013 07:29 PM

And I thought to myself, let's take a look at a forum where they speak english, so I can enhance my english writing a bit.... You never know where it can come in handy!

That was bad idea I guess ;)

Suzy991