Sponsored by:

991 Lease engine break in

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe:10466344
I would think that most Porsche 911 owners are gear heads who love cars and all things mechanical and will always properly break-in an engine.
The question is, what is the most proper break in procedure?

The link below describes its proper break in technique, although for motorcycles, should apply to our cars.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The other question is, why manufactures suggest such rigid break in period, if their mechanics say otherwise?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You pay the money, you call the tunes. Enjoy the ride.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Note to self: be careful about buying a "slightly used" 911 off a lease.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
That's true for all cars. Check Carfax or Autocheck and if it shows as lease try to stay away.
Why do you think BMW and other manufacturers I can't recall right now started offering free maintenance? Because most of their customer base were leases and some of them didn't even change the oil for the duration of the lease. But offering it free made people come in,at least for the free donuts,coffee and soda.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by neanicu:10466801
Originally Posted by stealthboy
That's true for all cars. Check Carfax or Autocheck and if it shows as lease try to stay away.
Why do you think BMW and other manufacturers I can't recall right now started offering free maintenance? Because most of their customer base were leases and some of them didn't even change the oil for the duration of the lease. But offering it free made people come in,at least for the free donuts,coffee and soda.

I think the free maintenance programs are a selling point, and it works.

There is a similar debate about oil change frequency. The old schools insist oil change every 5k to 7k miles, despite the statement by the manufactures that synthetic oils can last 15k miles easy, for daily driving.

Again anecdotal evidence from mechanics showed no adverse effect of not doing synthetic oil change for the entire 36mo lease period, but nobody cares. If you are used to doing your own oil change every 3k miles and enjoy doing so, no harm done.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Great discussion, thanks for all the input. I think it seems like the best plan is to take it easy for awhile, 500 or so miles, wait until engine properly warmed up, then have at it. I think that seems logical given the situation. As I said before I don't want to abuse the car, but it wont get driven very often, seems like a shame to baby for most of the lease period! Thanks again all, great posts, much appreciated.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Break in??? What is that?
I had 04 other Porsches and never done that nor the dealer told me to do so.
I guess this is only in América.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:20 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn Disden....you are my hero.....Post pics of this badboy...I know they are totally different cars, but how does the 991 compare to the Panny GTS? I just hit 1,000 miles in mine, so "sports plus," using paddle shifters all the way home last night....damn.....super fun, and that exhaust "burble" is just gorgeous
Old 05-16-2013, 04:27 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsclubs
The question is, what is the most proper break in procedure?

The link below describes its proper break in technique, although for motorcycles, should apply to our cars.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The other question is, why manufactures suggest such rigid break in period, if their mechanics say otherwise?
this. Drive the **** out of of it, tho at varing engine speeds to set the rings.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsclubs
Simple economics. The car is warranted for 50,000 miles. If the first 2,000 miles on the majority of newly sold cars are babied, there will be a measurable decrease in covered failures.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 PM
mgent
Instructor

Just go on a 4hr road trip early Sat morning, and be good to go!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cchan
Another anecdote one of the instructors at the Porsche World Roadshow this past weekend: the cars they use on the roadshow and at the PSDS in Alabama basically roll right off the truck and into service for the roadshow/schools, nothing special is done to them, i.e. no break in. After they are through with the cars, they are sold off. They have tracked the service/reliability of these cars afterwards and have found them to actually be above average, presumably due to the high care and maintenance levels while at PSDS.

So more support for not waiting all the way to 2k miles. I'm in the be easy for the first ~500 miles camp. At 600 now so not going to worry about really babying it any more.

haha. Yeah, the cars I drove at the PWR had between 60-80 miles on them. Crazy.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

Regarding that high residual though, I assume everything is negotiable? So at the end of the lease, are they gonna hold me strictly to it, or can I argue that it was an obviously inflated residual and talk them into a reasonable buy out? It would be a shame if I really like the car and want to keep it but can't because it would be a bad value.
Can't speak for Porsche leases, but my residual value was very ($11k) negotiable when I bought out my 2006 BMW M3 convertible lease. Obviously there will be a large number of 991s coming off lease in 24-27 months and market factors will determine whether Porsche holds the lessees to the stated residual.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ww007
I'm kind of in the same boat: leased a custom ordered C2S coupe for 27 months due to the great residuals. Mine is a DD though, so at about a month in, I'm almost at the 2,000 mile mark. I've been babying her up until now. Reason being, this was a highly optioned car and there's a good chance I might be keeping it.

Regarding that high residual though, I assume everything is negotiable? So at the end of the lease, are they gonna hold me strictly to it, or can I argue that it was an obviously inflated residual and talk them into a reasonable buy out? It would be a shame if I really like the car and want to keep it but can't because it would be a bad value.
Porsche has a reputation of NOT negotiating on the lease end residual.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Damn Disden....you are my hero.....Post pics of this badboy...I know they are totally different cars, but how does the 991 compare to the Panny GTS? I just hit 1,000 miles in mine, so "sports plus," using paddle shifters all the way home last night....damn.....super fun, and that exhaust "burble" is just gorgeous
Hey Cole, hope you are enjoying that GTS. My GTS is the DD, so gets driven a lot, just hit 10k miles, makes the 70 miles a day I have to drive much more enjoyable. The deep rumble of that NA V8 is simply amazing. After a long horrible day at work, its nice to fire that sucker up and enjoy the drive home.

As for the 991 Cab, so far only about 50 miles on it. I previously had a 991S coupe, so the engine and feel are more or less the same. However, being taller, I felt really cramped in the coupe, but not so much in the Cab with the top down. The Sport exhaust sounds fantastic with top down, even at only 4k RPMs. Even though I just got a C2 not a C2S, it still sounds and feels great. I live in the country, so lots of twisties, and it is certainly more tossable then the GTS, feels so light, the mass of the Pan GTS is certainly more noticeable. This was the first time in years that I hadn't had a convert, so just got alittle nostalgic for top down driving I guess. And as I said earlier, the leases are so reasonable, especially with big discounts being offered, was just too hard to pass up.

Quick Reply: 991 Lease engine break in