Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel and tire insurance...yes -no? what's the scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by P76
Funny you should ask....just took mine in today because i could hear that "slap-slap-slap" that signified either a stubborn rock that wouldn't dislodge over a week's time, or yet another nail. ...Aaaand it was another nail. This will be my third rear passenger tire due to nails in the sidewall. They never seem to hit in the middle. And I don't know why they like that back right corner so much. So, if tires were only $70- $100 per, like my old Camry, then I would say the tire insurance is a ripoff. However, seeing that this tire runs $600 installed and balanced, I would recommend taking a hard look at that insurance. Are you daily driving it? In my case, there's tons of construction around me now that the economy's picked up a bit. My dealer never has the tire in stock, so they're keeping the car overnight right now. They gave me a loner til it's done. It's all covered by the insurance. I've almost broken even after 2 nails in less than a year. I've got the wild idea to sell the car after the tire insurance runs out. $600 a pop is ridiculous. But, if you're not daily driving it, the insurance might not make sense.
Thats why I paid the $750 premium. I DD my 991 and have racked up 17.5k miles since June 2102. The two rears and one front tire I have had to replace so far would have cost me $1500+ if not for the insurance.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Larry-911cab
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had wheel & tire ins on my last two leases (M6 followed by M3), and on my brand new 911S cab I would not go without it. Living in northern NJ, and using my car as a DD, where the roads always bring on a new surprise - yes, for sure on 20" wheels I couldn't imagine going w/out. My ins ran 1600 btw. Can't speak about Geico, but Liberty Mutual doesn't offer this. As an aside, would anyone really want to put a claim in (where rates are impacted) for each tire occurrence, I think not. And even if the answer is yes, there's the deductible that you have to consider per claim. With wheel & tire policies I've had - zero deductible. Anyway, a personal decision, but one I'd never go without (and yes, it's paid for itself in each instance).
Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

It cost me $799 for 3 years.
Worth it given the cost of a single replacement tire..
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I only bought in once. As stated by others, if it wasn't a money maker for the dealer and the insurance company, they wouldn't be offering it. Also look at the huge variance in what people here on this thread say they paid for it. There is obviously a "buy rate" for the dealer, then whatever markup the market will bear.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Many tire shops repair nail damage for free. I know that Porsche does not recommend repairing, but if the nail is not in the sidewall the repair works out just fine. Have done this 4-5 times without issues, including running down my repaired track / AX wheels (almost) to the thread.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SkandoSchwabe
Many tire shops repair nail damage for free. I know that Porsche does not recommend repairing, but if the nail is not in the sidewall the repair works out just fine. Have done this 4-5 times without issues, including running down my repaired track / AX wheels (almost) to the thread.
Your life is obviously worth less to you than mine is to me.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Your life is obviously worth less to you than mine is to me.
I will take your good tires with a repairable nail hole in the middle of the tread, please let me know shipping costs.

I'm kind of kidding....but I'm kind of not. Tire shops fix small nail holes either by plugging from the outside, patching from the inside, or both on a daily basis. People with "lesser cars" don't even think about it, yet folks here have been indoctrinated to think that even the most minor problem "ruins" the tire. Haven't had any tire problems on my 991 yet, but wouldn't hesitate to at least have my reputable tire guy look at a nail hole before throwing the tire away. I've had plenty of performance tires repaired in the past with no ill effects, my preferred shop will be the first to tell me if it's not a good idea.
Of course the tire manufacturer, holding the liability, will tell you it can't or shouldn't be done.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I am certainly not very educated on tire patching, but it would be on my mind every single time I was opening it up. For that reason alone, I think I would cave.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

My dealer just offered me tire, rim, dent insurance for my 2 yr lease for $1600.
Seems kind of high- other post mentioned about $700 so my quote likely is a huge mark up.
Not sure if I should take it.
Anyone have any luck with non dealer endorsed policies?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:23 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

As with buying extended warranty on a refrigerator, I do not think its worth it personally...I had it on my last p-car, and whenever I trued to put a claim through, a) it was a hassle or b) they tried to claim a loophole issue, etc (like low tire tread) Besides, if the tire is new and I get a nail in a repairable spot, I simply have the tire patched and move on never once had an issue with a patched (or plugged for that matter) tire failing ever
Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
As with buying extended warranty on a refrigerator, I do not think its worth it personally...I had it on my last p-car, and whenever I trued to put a claim through, a) it was a hassle or b) they tried to claim a loophole issue, etc (like low tire tread) Besides, if the tire is new and I get a nail in a repairable spot, I simply have the tire patched and move on never once had an issue with a patched (or plugged for that matter) tire failing ever
I think a lot of people do not read the policy details before they agree to purchase the coverage. As you said, most if not all of these policies have a tread depth limit for replacing tires. I think that is so people just won't put a nail in a tire when it is close to needing replacement, just to get a new tire from the insurance company. Also, most of these policies do not replace a wheel for less than catastrophic damage. For most of them, if you bend a wheel, but the tire still seats well enough to hold air, they will not replace the wheel. These policies are not the slam dunk, you win, policies that the slick finance sales guy tries to convince you they are. There is a reason the finance guy works so hard to sell you the policy.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

I've had plugs fail, but never patches. In any case the plug failures merely appeared as a slow leak that TPMS would catch before it became a safety hazard.

I imagine I could see parkerfe's point of view if I'd ever heard of a single instance where a failed patch of a nail or screw hole in the tread had caused an accident, on a track or off.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer gave me these prices:
3 years- $1,771
4 years- $1,915
5 years- $1,978

When I questioned why the pries are so high I got this:
"There are cheaper plans but they don't cover cosmetic damage. This one does. You scratch a rim, they pay to fix scratch.

A tire on this car has to be $400 and if a rim cracks that has to be at least $1,000

I don't sell the cheaper plans as I don't know who backs them or how long they will be around. This is backed by Safeguard who is a huge player in the insurance arena. "

Anyone know if there are different types of insurance? My car will be a DD but those rates seem really high.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ma991
My dealer gave me these prices:
3 years- $1,771
4 years- $1,915
5 years- $1,978

When I questioned why the pries are so high I got this:
"There are cheaper plans but they don't cover cosmetic damage. This one does. You scratch a rim, they pay to fix scratch.

A tire on this car has to be $400 and if a rim cracks that has to be at least $1,000

I don't sell the cheaper plans as I don't know who backs them or how long they will be around. This is backed by Safeguard who is a huge player in the insurance arena. "

Anyone know if there are different types of insurance? My car will be a DD but those rates seem really high.
That's outrageous. There are several services in my town who do cosmetic repairs on wheels. They come to you and do it on the car and it has never cost me more than $75 or so. Way back when I was young and foolish, I even had to use a service that straightened wheels on a press for around $150, but I got over the rubber band tire phase.
The one time I bought wheel/tire insurance was on my 2006 Cayman S. It was $550 back then and I used it once for a catastrophic tire failure after a 1 inch bolt somehow punctured the tire. That is the only total tire failure I have had in the last 30 years, I'll take my chances.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carsrmyvice
I was not even offered it. Some have said they got it for as little as 500 others say they were offered it for 2,000. So I guess it depends on the asking price.

What I am wondering is whether or not I can add something like this to my geico policy.
it's a toss up IMO. i got the deluxe policy from dealer for $1000 covering 5 years for tires and wheels (as long as you ran over it on a public hwy and it wasnt a curb job).........so at $450/tire and $1500/wheel who knows? read the contract though, i think different dealers have different policies and their isnt a "porsche approved policy"?

Quick Reply: Wheel and tire insurance...yes -no? what's the scoop?