Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds Cayman/991 perspective

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:56 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, the impression I get is that those who have driven the new and old Cayman and also the 991 feel the new Cayman feels bigger and "more substantial" - can you elaborate a bit? I drove a 2014 regular Cayman (not the S) when I sold my 991 to the dealer - it had the PDK, which I don't like, and it didn't seem to have the "zip" of the 991, but it also didn't feel much smaller - not like the difference say between a 928 and a 944. The interior seemed identical to the 991 (if you like the 991 interior, then ...), but the one I tried had the "lesser" seats, not the zillion way power seats that the 991 I bought was equipped with - and I found them much more comfortable - the salesman said that the fancier seats had the bolsters higher up, which might explain it (and it might be true, too).
Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
xecution
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ray S
There's a ton of truth in that article (I guess it hurts some). Honestly, if I didn't need a back seat and Porsche made a Cayman with the Turbo or GT3 lump I'd be searching for one of those over another 911.

No denigration of the 911 is necessary (it's a great car in its own right), but there is a handling sweetness to Porsche's mid-engine cars that the 911 lacks IMHO.
I notice Cayman and Boxster supporters always use the "IF" it had as support for their theory.
So if that's the case than, IF the toyota Corolla had a 600 hp viper engine or a smart car had a Ferrari Engine,,,,yada yada yada. But it doesn't and that's the point of having two different cars. Don't you think Porsche could have just put the 911 engine in the middle also? That's why their are two different models.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 PM
xecution
AutoX

Originally Posted by Naushaud
Clearly the cayman has an argument as the better looking car, but am I the only one that thinks the redesigned 991 is still without doubt the head turner of the two? I think it's probably true that a lot of women see the badge and to them a Porsche is a Porsche but for me recently purchasing a 991, I had to go with a 911 for many reasons over the cayman including the overall heritage.
I totally agree! I just recently traded in a new 2013 boxster S for my 2013 911S. I have no bad things to say about the Boxster S or the Cayman S which I have owned also. But as much as some want to match them up, the truth is, the Cayman/Boxster is not in the same league as the 911. Who cares what a woman that doesn't know about cars thinks, It's about how the car makes me feel. Their are some extremely fast, and agile Subarus That would beat some exotics on a track. But I'm not a race car driver so I wouldn't buy one just because of that. In the real world we all know that the 911 is 30-40g more for a reason, and it's not just marketing It's because the Cayman/boxster will never be or compare to a 911. Reviewers, Cayman/Boxster owners and people who have never owned either, Can't afford or don't want to pay for a 911 so they have started this image that the Cayman is a better driving car. Maybe the 10 year ago Porsches but the technology in the newer models easily makes up for the rear engine design. Some people want a Gallardo, Some want a Murciellago, But for anyone to ever say the Gallardo is equal or even close to a Murciellago is in denial. It's like saying At equal price I'll take a 360 over a 430, or a California over a 458, or a Lotus Evora over a DBS, They are all great cars with different characteristics but no matter how you slice it, they are in different leagues. Cayman/Boxster owners can believe the Hype all they want. I'll stick with the top of the line models, because their is a reason it's the top of the line model. Ask yourself this, After all these years why are people still comparing the Cayman and Boxster to the 911 anyways if its the better car? No one ever compares the 911 to the Cayman/Boxster. Just like some reviewers talk about the Cayman being superior, there are tons of comparison testing articles that disagree.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...11-gt3-feature

Last edited by xecution; 04-14-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: adding more info.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Yawn.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 PM
xecution
AutoX

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Yawn.
What a highly intelligent response! Thanks for the insight Chucky.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

They could have added that you won't need to replace the rear tires of the Cayman at 8,000 miles but they probably don't know about that because they don't own these cars.

Porsche should stick a V8 in the 911 and be done with these comparisons.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xecution
I totally agree! I just recently traded in a new 2013 boxster S for my 2013 911S. [/url]
Why did you buy the Boxster in the first place?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 AM
xecution
AutoX

Originally Posted by tangram
Why did you buy the Boxster in the first place?
I had a 2010 Lotus Evora, Owned a 2006 Cayman S, test drove the Boxster S, Loved the drop top, the options and technology and build quality (all missing in the Evora) and I even found the drive to be comparable if not better in the 981. But I just couldn't stop looking at the 991 every time I went to the dealer. I looked for articles explaining how the 981 was better, how you don't need a 991, checked forums like this to hear how mid engine was so much better. Remembered being unimpressed with the 996 I had, based on the fact I've owned Ferraris and Lambos. But when I test drove the 991, all that negative talk was now rubbish and I fell in love.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I had a 2010 Lotus Evora, Owned a 2006 Cayman S, test drove the Boxster S, Loved the drop top, the options and technology and build quality (all missing in the Evora) and I even found the drive to be comparable if not better in the 981. But I just couldn't stop looking at the 991 every time I went to the dealer. I looked for articles explaining how the 981 was better, how you don't need a 991, checked forums like this to hear how mid engine was so much better. Remembered being unimpressed with the 996 I had, based on the fact I've owned Ferraris and Lambos. But when I test drove the 991, all that negative talk was now rubbish and I fell in love.
I think what prompted the first qustion, why did you buy the 981 in the first place, is that the 991 was released many months before the 981. There were plenty of 991s to test drive when the 981 was launched in July. So it's puzzling why you didn't avail yourself of that opportunity. Your Porsche dealer must love you.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on a different path... i was somewhat taken back by the Cayman's $82k sticker .
anyway, i really like the "cayman gt3" i posted over in the gt3 forum.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

I think we should all agree that given that the Cayman is a 2-seater mid-engined car and that the 911 is a 4-seater, rear engined car, people should stop comparing and contrasting them because the only thing we can all probably agree on, hands down, is that they are built by Porsche and they're both better than anything anyone else makes, that is actually a directly relevant comparison.

The Cayman saved our business. The 991 is a bigger, better race car and will hopefully take us into the future. I like them both equally as much because the two cars couldn't be more radically different when you look beyond their parts.

We should start comparing and contrasting Panameras and Cayennes next or, maybe try and use data to find out how many people go to the dealership intending to buy a Cayman and leave with a 911 vs. how many people buy a Cayman after going with the intention of buying a 911. I would say that the answer is probably zero on both counts. Some people love the 911; some people love the Cayman. But as you will find, they all pick their sides and stay loyal to them.

Let's look at this board. How many GT3 guys pick on Caymans like 80's style seniors vs. freshman?!?

And in turn, how many Cayman owners have a 911 inspired anti-bully complex on the race track?

All of them! Myself included! Which is why when I drive the 911, I only pick on sport bikes on the road.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 PM
RCLNG
5th Gear

In the real world we all know that the 911 is 30-40g more for a reason, and it's not just marketing It's because the Cayman/boxster will never be or compare to a 911.
Can you point out some of the reasons that a 911 is 30-40K more? I couldn't find any in your post.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 AM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by RCLNG
Can you point out some of the reasons that a 911 is 30-40K more? I couldn't find any in your post.
There are reasons the base 911 cost more than base Cayman:

Bigger engine with 75 more HP
Bigger brakes
7 speed MT vs. 6 speed MT
19" wheels vs. 18"
Navigation system
Zoned climate control...

Just to name a few, but they don't add up to $30k to $40k.

Not sure why Cayman never sold that many. I guess badge is that important for most people, and worth some money by itself.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cayman/Boxster owners and people who have never owned either, Can't afford or don't want to pay for a 911 so they have started this image that the Cayman is a better driving car.
I notice Cayman and Boxster supporters always use the "IF" it had as support for their theory.
So if that's the case than, IF the toyota Corolla had a 600 hp viper engine or a smart car had a Ferrari Engine,,,,yada yada yada. But it doesn't and that's the point of having two different cars. Don't you think Porsche could have just put the 911 engine in the middle also? That's why their are two different models.
I own both a 911 and a Boxster and I'm not emotional about which is better (truthfully, they are both better and worse than each other in different ways). I guess you could say, I could afford both.

Your analogy above is more than a little silly. If you put a 911 engine in a Corolla and turned them both lose with equal drivers the Corolla would still lose.

I guess I always knew there must be guys like you out there that honestly believed that Porsche hasn't purposely handicapped the Boxster/Cayman with smaller motors to protect the 911. The real point is they are both great cars in their own right, but it's a shame Porsche feels the (obvious to most) need to handicap one to protect the other. Personally I suspect if Porsche developed both models to their maximum potential, they'd still sell plenty of both.

That being said, I'm glad you like your 991. It's clear from the post below that you prefer it for all the reasons the Porsche marketing department wants you to.

I totally agree! I just recently traded in a new 2013 boxster S for my 2013 911S. I have no bad things to say about the Boxster S or the Cayman S which I have owned also. But as much as some want to match them up, the truth is, the Cayman/Boxster is not in the same league as the 911. Who cares what a woman that doesn't know about cars thinks, It's about how the car makes me feel. Their are some extremely fast, and agile Subarus That would beat some exotics on a track. But I'm not a race car driver so I wouldn't buy one just because of that. In the real world we all know that the 911 is 30-40g more for a reason, and it's not just marketing It's because the Cayman/boxster will never be or compare to a 911. Reviewers, Cayman/Boxster owners and people who have never owned either, Can't afford or don't want to pay for a 911 so they have started this image that the Cayman is a better driving car. Maybe the 10 year ago Porsches but the technology in the newer models easily makes up for the rear engine design. Some people want a Gallardo, Some want a Murciellago, But for anyone to ever say the Gallardo is equal or even close to a Murciellago is in denial. It's like saying At equal price I'll take a 360 over a 430, or a California over a 458, or a Lotus Evora over a DBS, They are all great cars with different characteristics but no matter how you slice it, they are in different leagues. Cayman/Boxster owners can believe the Hype all they want. I'll stick with the top of the line models, because their is a reason it's the top of the line model. Ask yourself this, After all these years why are people still comparing the Cayman and Boxster to the 911 anyways if its the better car? No one ever compares the 911 to the Cayman/Boxster. Just like some reviewers talk about the Cayman being superior, there are tons of comparison testing articles that disagree.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by adamsclubs
There are reasons the base 911 cost more than base Cayman:

Bigger engine with 75 more HP
Bigger brakes
7 speed MT vs. 6 speed MT
19" wheels vs. 18"
Navigation system
Zoned climate control...

Just to name a few, but they don't add up to $30k to $40k.

Not sure why Cayman never sold that many. I guess badge is that important for most people, and worth some money by itself.

unless the 2014 cayman I drove is somehow not "standard", it had 19 inch wheels (the 991 I sold had 20 inch wheels), it had navigation, the interior (gauges, console) were identical to the 991, including the climate control. Are you sure that you looked at a new car?

Quick Reply: Edmunds Cayman/991 perspective