Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Just a 911" (Rant)

Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
At least the people saying these things understand you're talking about a Porsche. Try having someone ask about your Grand Seiko Spring Drive!
Sadly, and by sadly I mean fortunately, only a WIS or someone from Japan will know about a grand seiko. Have wanted one for some time know. Figured it will attract less morons. I swear ugly women should wear rolexes and drive porsches because they attract men like flys on ****.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Haha, I can relate to this. Used to have this all the time in my Boxster. "Aaaaah matey, I would have gotten a 911 if I were you". Now I'm waiting for my 991 to get delivered and it has allready started and I'm not even driving it yet. "Aaaah matey, I would have gotten a GT3 if I were you" And you should see the cars they drive themselves :-)
You should stop hanging out with pirates.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Haha, I can relate to this. Used to have this all the time in my Boxster. "Aaaaah matey, I would have gotten a 911 if I were you". Now I'm waiting for my 991 to get delivered and it has allready started and I'm not even driving it yet. "Aaaah matey, I would have gotten a GT3 if I were you" And you should see the cars they drive themselves :-)
Loved my 944, love my 'just a 911'. To be fair, the comments I seem to get most are 'what did you get?' -> 'a 911' which then follows with 'oh wow, did you get a new one? congrats!'. I can live with it. Very few people actually are up on the differences between the base and the S (or 4) - but then 0-60 of 4.6 on a MT (or 4.1 on the PDK/SC?) isn't really slumming it anyway.

And... It may make me an outlier, butI happened to prefer the look of the smaller rims and the fact that the tires are a bit less likely to go flat over a pothole, didn't need the extra 50 hp (no tracking or autobahn), and actually didn't particularly want PASM after driving a MT with standard suspension and really liking the ride. I'm certainly not out setting any 'ring lap records but get a lot of enjoyment out of the basic driving feel and rowing the gears myself.

To the comment above about 'how can anyone not spend the extra bit and get the S', I guess it's sort of like wondering how anyone can get the S and then not get the X51 kit. Or PDCC. Or GT3. Or... It's all a slippery slope and just depends on what a person is interested in.

Anyway, these cars are all fast, handle beautifully, and you just have to decide what you want. I'm happy that Porsche has options so people can get what they like - as long as they never have a Porsche named the Porsche 'DerPorsche'. I definitely draw the line there.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You think you guys have it bad, come over to the lowly 993 Forum and jump in the middle of the narrowbody v. widebody skirmishes...................and ALL of those (normally aspirated) have the same engine!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
And... It may make me an outlier, butI happened to prefer the look of the smaller rims and the fact that the tires are a bit less likely to go flat over a pothole
+1 .. I love the look and shape of the stock 19" wheels. The higher tirewall gives it a motorsporty look, more like a racecar than the skinny 20". Furthermore they look much much muuuuuuuch better in person than in pictures !
My car is white, so I really need darker colored wheels, thus I opted to get the 19" powdercoated after delivery. But after reading up on powdercoating, I decided against powdercoating for technical and esthetic reasons. And from factory I can't get the 19" in darker color, so I was forced to take the 20" in platinum silk gloss, but I wouldn't have otherwise.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

coming from 18" wheels and buying off the lot, my C2SC came with 20" wheels. I discovered why I truly love them. It's because......when I clean them, I can fit my hand between the spokes. It's so much easier to clean that damn break dust. I never would have optioned the 20", but I'm sure glad they came with the S.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
You think you guys have it bad, come over to the lowly 993 Forum and jump in the middle of the narrowbody v. widebody skirmishes...................and ALL of those (normally aspirated) have the same engine!
Yeah but nobody will say-"oh is that just a 993?"
Old 04-11-2013, 06:46 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by carsrmyvice
Sadly, and by sadly I mean fortunately, only a WIS or someone from Japan will know about a grand seiko. Have wanted one for some time now. Figured it will attract less morons. I swear ugly women should wear rolexes and drive porsches because they attract men like flys on ****.
A Porsche has a lot in common with a Grand Seiko. Both are incredibly well designed with superb attention to detail that eschews flash for purpose-built performance. Don't know what the Japanese call it but the Germans say that when engineering is raised to a high level it becomes art. Neither has any real mass-market advertising. Both exude quality of a level that will never be captured in words but that comes across in abundance only with regular use. So (and this is the relevance to the OP) if you're spending money on either looking for approval or recognition, forget about it. Only the few who know, know, and they truly are few in number. The ones who don't know, there is nothing you can tell them. They'll either find out for themselves, or more likely never will get it. With both your satisfaction can only come from within. And if you buy with that in mind, boy is there an abundance of it!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I can't reply without degrading your manhood.

I have "just a 911" and people just drool over it.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Originally Posted by carsrmyvice
Sadly, and by sadly I mean fortunately, only a WIS or someone from Japan will know about a grand seiko. Have wanted one for some time now. Figured it will attract less morons. I swear ugly women should wear rolexes and drive porsches because they attract men like flys on ****.
A Porsche has a lot in common with a Grand Seiko. Both are incredibly well designed with superb attention to detail that eschews flash for purpose-built performance. Don't know what the Japanese call it but the Germans say that when engineering is raised to a high level it becomes art. Neither has any real mass-market advertising. Both exude quality of a level that will never be captured in words but that comes across in abundance only with regular use. So (and this is the relevance to the OP) if you're spending money on either looking for approval or recognition, forget about it. Only the few who know, know, and they truly are few in number. The ones who don't know, there is nothing you can tell them. They'll either find out for themselves, or more likely never will get it. With both your satisfaction can only come from within. And if you buy with that in mind, boy is there an abundance of it!
Thanks for the well thought out reply. It's true that until one drive a Porsche, and unless they care for fine quality and attention to detail, one may never understand the quality that makes these cars so special.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
Thanks for the well thought out reply. It's true that until one drive a Porsche, and unless they care for fine quality and attention to detail, one may never understand the quality that makes these cars so special.
Isn't that the truth. I am actually a little concerned that I will not be able to drive another lesser vehicle again. In one swoop I redefined what I thought was a well balanced and well crafted machine. Oh well its just numbers on a bank computer I suppose.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I hear that "oh" all the time when I say I have a Boxster. I'm good with that. I love everything about the car and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Enjoy what you have, it's not everyone that gets to experience such a fantastic sports car.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Who cares what other "trolls" think or say-its for you. You liked plain 911, you got one..IMHO most of folks here who buy 911 have pockets to spend a little more and get the highest end beast..but it's not that...it's what you like...I put $50K worth of options because I wanted to and I could on 4S...with that money I could've gotten Turbo S...but I didn't ...why...I don't want turbo or turboS...I want naturally aspirated awd 911...to each his own!! Cheers!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Hotmetal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
For me it's about usable power. Driving a base 911, its a blast. I don't feel like I need extra power on the road, the vast majority of it I can't use anyway. And it's more fun to push a car closer to the limits (within reason on the street) with less power than something with a ton. B/c something like a turbo or Ferrari, you can't even remotely touch high rpms without exceeding the speed limit excessively. I feel the same about the base Boxster. It's the experience.

But some of us are power junkies so I understand.
+1. I had a Corvertte ZR1 and had no fun to drive. too much power and I don't go on tracks. I have much more fun to drive my Fiat Abarth(Shifter) and my Jeep Wrangler (Shifter) because i can push it.

In 3 days, I will take delivery of my first Porsche, 991 4S PDK ... I hope over the time, it wont be too boring to drive ...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Yeah but nobody will say-"oh is that just a 993?"
Right because they haven't a clue what a 993 is. Most people don't even know that there are different versions of 911's other than Turbo and not Turbo, and that's a stretch.

I'll never forget in senior year of high school we were on a field trip to NYC and we saw a silver 993 Turbo (this was spring of '97) parked near Chelsea Pier and I made a comment about how fast they were. One of the girls I was with was originally from Germany (her family owns the really huge abrasives company that is German), and she was like "isn't the Carerra faster?" Now this was coming from a girl who was very bright, spoke German and English fluently, was drop dead gorgeous (that's irrelevant to the story but dead on accurate...haha), but more importantly who's dad owned a 993 Turbo!!

So while the differences between 911 models may seem like childs play to most of us, for the rest of the population it's not even on their radar. You're lucky if they know that your Porsche is a 911 imo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Just a 911" (Rant)