PASM vs standard question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default PASM vs standard question

Hello,

Other than ride height, is there a difference between the standard suspension on cars with no PASM with the suspension feel on PASM cars when they are set to standard mode? I am asking in regards to 991s, if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

-T
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

PASM has two settings each of which provide different degrees of rebound. The degree of rebound in the settings overlaps. I believe that the computer and sensors ins PASM equipped cars work in addition to the driver in selection of settings afforded with the button to stiffen the rebound action per a map as needed. Never having been in a 991S without PASM I have no idea how it feels.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:12 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The 991S comes standard with PASM, so to be talking about a car without PASM we can only be talking about a base 991. The answer is yes, there is a difference. Cars without PASM are set up with springs and shock settings to give what Porsche considers the best balance between performance and comfort. The same applies to PASM, with the significant difference being the PASM cars shock settings are continuously real time adjustable. So PASM cars are able to be both more easy damping comfortable and quickly responding performance oriented as needed. Drive both. The biggest thing you will probably notice is the less compliant ride in the base suspension, especially around town or steady cruising, where the suspension is unable to adjust to softer settings as PASM would. But a fair number of people actually like this, as it also tends to make the car feel more responsive in these conditions. Feel, I said, not be! Because, with PASM, the instant your steering/brake/throttle inputs indicate the need for stiffer settings, stiffer settings you have. Actually its even more than that, as PASM adjusts not only on driver inputs but also road conditions, fore/aft/lateral forces, etc. The Sport setting, which you didn't ask about but is relevant, simply shifts the mapping up into a higher range. According to Porsche, even in Sport mode the softer comfort end of the range still extends down towards comfort beyond the standard car settings. So regardless of Sport being selected or not the PASM car will both out-perform and out-comfort the base car.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a Base w/o PASM and a recently delivered C4S. Suspension wise, there isnt a noticeable difference between the two.
Other than the ride height and the harsher sport setting in the C4S, IMO both feel exactly the same.
The following users liked this post:
flgfish (01-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Take each car on the Blue Ridge Parkway-like road and report back. Bet you a beer you change your mind. Umhmmm.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
tpenta
Racer

Thanks. Actually, PASM seems to be an option on the 991s according to the configurator. It shows it as an option for $890.

I currently have a 997s with PASM and never use the sport mode. I test-drove a couple of 991 cars last week (one with PASM and one without) and I didn't like the standard suspension on the 991 (non-S) without PASM. Whereas, the 991S with PASM set to inactive felt better.

I guess I always thought the PASM logic was only enabled when you press the button. Didn't realize it is doing changes even when not in sport mode.

Thanks,

-T
Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Ah, the Configurator is always a work in progress, sometimes wrong, and other times lacking all the options (perhaps a reason why salesmen are not yet obsolete until the robots replace them). This link will give you the straight scope (oh and Chuck was right):

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...T911CarreraAll

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

FWIW, here's a video that demonstrates the performance of the non-PASM base 991 Carrera relative to the new Boxster S. For me personally the only choice was SPASM. The ride is not even close to overly harsh to me.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM
hepmonk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpenta
... PASM seems to be an option on the 991s according to the configurator...
On the Carrera S, you get PASM standard and can option PASM Sport (SPASM as Rennlisters call it) for $890.

On the Carrera, you get no active suspension standard but can option PASM for $2090 and SPASM for $2980.

I have the basest of the bases and I love the analog suspension. On the opposite end of the spectrum, lots of people love the SPASM. I agree that you'll have to test drive them all and push the Sport button on and off to really decide.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 PM
tpenta
Racer

Ok thanks folks.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 AM
exponential
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hepmonk
On the Carrera S, you get PASM standard and can option PASM Sport (SPASM as Rennlisters call it) for $890.

On the Carrera, you get no active suspension standard but can option PASM for $2090 and SPASM for $2980.

I have the basest of the bases and I love the analog suspension. On the opposite end of the spectrum, lots of people love the SPASM. I agree that you'll have to test drive them all and push the Sport button on and off to really decide.
Exactly like Hipmonk advise and I would like to add the spring rates as follow :

991 Spring Rates
Model_______Sway bar diameter_______front spring_____rear spring
991_________26.8 x 4.0 mm (hallow)____24 nm_________48 nm
991S________26.8 mm________________28 nm_________62 nm
991S Sport___28.0 mm________________33 nm________108 nm
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

The Sport PASM - as an option to the 991 S - is a bargain at that price. All 991s have superior handling just as they come. The Sport PASM adds to it significantly with more control, more of the old "feel", lower center of gravity without undue harsness. Back to back test rides are needed to see if it seems worth it to you.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 to chuck, PLUS with SPASM you also get improved aero with the chin spoiler and steeper rear wing setting. All that with no tradeoff in ride comfort when you want that. A bargain for sure.

Quick Reply: PASM vs standard question