Sponsored by:

Standard audio vs Bose vs Bermester

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:07 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about radio delete? No, can't do that. Have to be able to listern to Howard Stern when the cop is writing the ticket.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 AM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Originally Posted by bccars
Who needs a stereo when you have the PSE ?!
Someone who commutes 33 miles in it.

Let me tell you, you would turn OFF the PSE after 15 minutes on the freeway.

Be real.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhabelly

Be real.
I stand corrected ;-)
In that case you are right.

Mine is not a DD, so when I'm on the freeway, indeed the PSE is turned off, but I still have the wife next to me. And trust me, I still don't need a bose or a burmester then :-)
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Be real.
I don't have a ton of experience with mine yet but my impression is that unless you are on it it is not that loud. BUT nice to be able to turn it off.

I am sorry but the Bose system is horrible, it gives me and my son a headache. It is an abomination that that put that in a car of this caliper.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
manibot
Intermediate

Cool

I will be doing mostly 15 to 20 min commutes around town on the car and am mostly a news/ NPR kind of a guy, so I figured base stereo could at least do that much and PSE for intermittent rush.
I am happy I picked the PSE, of course, with the help of you all.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Can't count how many times I've thanked myself for getting pse. I always turn it on, even if I'm just backing the car out of the garage to wash it. The Bose remains a major dissapointment as Porsche continues their heritage of providing sub par audio systems unless you fork over some serious cash.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:55 PM
therambler
7th Gear

Literally no experience with Porsche Audio but having spent a lot of time in my recording studio and also with high end Bose audio systems, I know they are notorious for lacking mid-range frequencies. It's worth messing around with the Bose equalizer in an effort to combat this. For those of you who play music through iPhones, iPods, mp3 players, there are EQ settings that are also adjustable.

iPhones:
Tap the Home button on the front of your iPhone.

Tap the Settings icon on the Home screen.

Tap iPod in the list of settings.

Tap EQ in the list of iPod settings.

Tap different EQ presets (Pop, Rock, R&B, Dance, and so on) and listen carefully to the way they change how the song sounds.

When you find an equalizer preset you think sounds good (or just matches the kind of music you're currently listening to), tap the Home button and you’re finished.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Originally Posted by therambler
Literally no experience with Porsche Audio but having spent a lot of time in my recording studio and also with high end Bose audio systems,
I was not aware of "high end Bose audio systems". I was aware of great Bose marketing but that is about it.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by therambler
Literally no experience with Porsche Audio but having spent a lot of time in my recording studio and also with high end Bose audio systems, I know they are notorious for lacking mid-range frequencies. It's worth messing around with the Bose equalizer in an effort to combat this.
If you've spent time in recording studios then you know everything added to the signal chain degrades the audio signal. The Bose doesn't have audio signal to spare so I'd skip any cheap digital equalizers.

One problem with the Bose is the low end typically has phase conflicts with the engine and road noise. That's why it sounds better when you're stopped and the engine's off. To my ears it sounds like Bose counters this by adding harmonics to the low end. No harm done but it makes the bass sound synthesized.

The bigger problem is the mid range is glaring which causes listener fatigue. This can probably be resolved by replacing speakers but with what they're charging for this option you shouldn't have to.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

There is a setting I think they call it linear? When you pause on it, it advises to turn off (?) for Audiophile sound. With it on it is the most horrible, with it off it is just grating.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

I hate to stir the pot, but I find the Bose to be above average. I think you have to invest the time to fiddle with it to get it just how you like it. I have no complaints about the Bose; it is noticeably improved from the 997 version.

I know I am in the minority about PSE but I do not miss it at all. The standard exhaust on the S is loud, I wouldn't want it any louder.

Ans yes, I will admit to being one of those cranky old people who would like to strangle all those youngsters driving around with their base rattling my windows and their aftermarket exhaust rupturing my eardrums.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:54 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Be real.
Sounds great to me on the freeway in my car. It stays ON!

PSE all the way!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:34 AM
achildofthesky
Instructor

PSE = No extra power, no extra spend ... Just my thought. It was a nice party trick on the pair of cars I test drove but no thanks...
Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 PM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by achildofthesky
PSE = No extra power, no extra spend ... Just my thought. It was a nice party trick on the pair of cars I test drove but no thanks...
That was my exact view too. For the extra money, I would have expected at least another 5-10 horses.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
There is a setting I think they call it linear? When you pause on it, it advises to turn off (?) for Audiophile sound. With it on it is the most horrible, with it off it is just grating.
I have to agree. When I first heard it I couldn't believe how bad the sound quality was, until I found this Linear setting. When I switched it on, which should be the default, it sounded a little better.

I still have some trouble with it; I wish XM would start broadcasting with a reasonable bit rate.

Quick Reply: Standard audio vs Bose vs Bermester