Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   2014 Corvette (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/741283-2014-corvette.html)

beden1 02-27-2013 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by carrerapete (Post 10258139)
I'm beating a dead horse, but once again: I recently traded my ZO6 (purchased new and slightly modded) for my 2013 C2S and I'll never look back.

And don't think for a minute that quality isn't suffering because of Chevrolet trying to keep the cost reasonable. Visit the Corvette forum and check out the numerous threads regarding dropped valves.

GM is just now fessing up to a design flaw with the 427 heads. And let's not forget about the other problems stemming from Sub Vendors who bid low for contracts and are supplying shoddy workmanship on the parts they're supplying.

GM is also playing warranty games with many of the people who lost their motor due to a dropped valve; some of the cars have low miles and have never been raced (garage queens).

Also keep in mind that some ZO6's with certain options are close to 90K.

Here's just one of the many threads regarding the bad geometry of the valve train:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ear-found.html

So go ahead and buy a Corvette. I've made that mistake three times in the recent past, but I'm a stubborn Chevy guy from way back: my first Chevy was a 1968 L88-427 Baldwin Motion Camaro. Sure, it came with a 90-day limited warranty, but at least they were up front about the limited coverage.

I sold my 2009 ZO6 last August and purchased a 2012 GTS cab for it's replacement. I had the complete valve assembly replaced on the right side of the motor under warranty with only 6,200 miles on the odometer. Stock and never raced or beaten on. GM gave me a reason that the valves were out of alignment because the heads were manufactured out of spec for 2006-2009 cars. Later, they stated the improperly manufactured heads were for the years 2009 to 2011. I lost confidence and decided to get out while the getting was good. It was my third Corvette and my last.

I really liked my ZO6 for the massive power and handling. I like the Porsche because I can now use most of it's performance capabilities. It also feels more like a sports car to me and similar to a grown up version of my British sports cars I had in my younger days. I also like Porsches because each model never seems to go out of style, and you don't need to feel the urge to always have the latest and greatest.

I like the looks of the new C7 Corvette, and if I had not have the problem with the ZO6, I probably would have bought one a few years down the road. With Corvettes, like most new models, it's best to wait until the third or fourth year of production to get the kinks worked out. I had good luck doing that in the past, until this go around.

GSIRM3 02-27-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by DrJay (Post 10257072)
here is my take on the vette...

It is hideous. Inside and out. Hideous and no doubt bolted together in such a way that it will fall apart in two years. Furthermore, how much does the gold chains and chest hair option cost? Do they throw that in for free when you buy the car?

I have never once considered a vette as competition for the 911.

Sorry to break the news to you, but just as all Porsche drivers are not snobs with short appendages, all Corvette drivers do not wear gold chains and sport excessive chest hair.

I am pretty confident in saying that the new C7 Corvette will not fall apart in two years. I have a good friend that has two beautiful mid-year Corvettes, and a C5 Corvette convertible that he bought recently as a daily driver. I have ridden in and driven his C5 and it performs well, and has absolutely no rattles or squeaks, which is pretty amazing considering it is a 10 year old convertible.

He also owns a 996 C4S and a Cobra replica car, so I am not sure how you would characterize him, but I am sure you probably wouldn't hang out with him since he drives the Corvettes.

I like all sports cars and am excited to see what the C7 has to offer, just as I am excited about the new Cayman S. I won't let perceived image change my mind on that.

Manifold 02-27-2013 11:08 AM

^ Well said. I currently have three Porsches, but am not wedded to the brand, and am open to driving any car that delivers good performance at a fair price. Regarding snobbery, it's often correlated with insecurity ...

chuckbdc 02-27-2013 01:18 PM

I on the other hand have had Porsches for a long time, have had good luck with them and massive amounts of fun and am wedded to the brand.

But I have long thought that many Vettes have looked great and performed well, and that from the infomation so far, the new Vette looks like a real step forward. I hope to test drive one as soon as possible, and continue to appreciate Vettes.

But it would take something VERY exceptional to tempt me out of the 991, which suites needs far beyond what i thought I needed when I got it.

DrJay 02-27-2013 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by GSIRM3 (Post 10258701)
Sorry to break the news to you, but just as all Porsche drivers are not snobs with short appendages, all Corvette drivers do not wear gold chains and sport excessive chest hair.

I am pretty confident in saying that the new C7 Corvette will not fall apart in two years. I have a good friend that has two beautiful mid-year Corvettes, and a C5 Corvette convertible that he bought recently as a daily driver. I have ridden in and driven his C5 and it performs well, and has absolutely no rattles or squeaks, which is pretty amazing considering it is a 10 year old convertible.

He also owns a 996 C4S and a Cobra replica car, so I am not sure how you would characterize him, but I am sure you probably wouldn't hang out with him since he drives the Corvettes.

I like all sports cars and am excited to see what the C7 has to offer, just as I am excited about the new Cayman S. I won't let perceived image change my mind on that.

No, I probably wouldn't hang out with him. I am not much of a fan of american iron or the people that seem to be infatuated with it. Nor am I a fan of Chevy dealerships...

I may be in the minority but I did not cross shop anything against the 991.

DrJay 02-27-2013 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Manifold (Post 10258745)
^ Well said. I currently have three Porsches, but am not wedded to the brand, and am open to driving any car that delivers good performance at a fair price. Regarding snobbery, it's often correlated with insecurity ...

yes, oh how insecure I am...

SSST 02-27-2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DrJay (Post 10259123)
No, I probably wouldn't hang out with him. I am not much of a fan of american iron or the people that seem to be infatuated with it. Nor am I a fan of Chevy dealerships...

Wow. That's about as shallow as it gets.

GSIRM3 02-27-2013 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by DrJay (Post 10259123)

I may be in the minority but I did not cross shop anything against the 991.

Are you sure a Porsche is good enough? Maybe you should move up to something more deserving of your loyalty, like a Bentley or Rolls. Would anyone have any Grey Poupon?

neanicu 02-27-2013 04:13 PM

Hey hey guys relax... :)
'' Vote with your wallet ''
:)

ajag 02-27-2013 04:30 PM

I wouldn't cross shop a 991 w/ the C7, but I am definitely going to look closely at the C7 Z06 for a track car.

GSIRM3 02-27-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ajag (Post 10259485)
I wouldn't cross shop a 991 w/ the C7, but I am definitely going to look closely at the C7 Z06 for a track car.

Your 991 is beautiful, assuming it looks as good as it does in your avatar.

zirrah 02-27-2013 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by SSST (Post 10259216)

+1 Comments like that give Porsche guys a bad name.

Manifold 02-27-2013 07:17 PM

I remember going to a track event in the Cayman where a lot of the cars were GT3s, and I happened to park next to a guy in a Vette. Being neighborly, I struck up conversation, and he said (only) half-jokingly that he was surprised that I, as a Porsche guy, was even talking with him. I was a bit shocked by the comment, but maybe it reflects something about some Porsche guys. I genuinely enjoyed hanging out with him. And I can assure you he could afford a Porsche.

carrerapete 02-27-2013 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbdc (Post 10258531)
Oh yeah? Well I remember being beat by 944 Turbo Ss in my ol 911, too. So there. :icon501:

Ha ha, I hate to admit this, but I'd traded the 944 Turbo in for a red Corvette convertible three years later. I just can't help getting lured back every now and then. :jumper:

DrJay 02-27-2013 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by SSST (Post 10259216)

How dare I...