Resetting service light - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

Resetting service light

Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
  #1  
lou1947
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: quincy il
Posts: 5
Default Resetting service light

I want to reset my oil change service light after changing the oil .Any clues on how to do it?I have heard that this can only be done by the dealer.Is that true?
lou1947 is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
  #2  
Rainier_991
User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset West, South Africa
Posts: 175
Default

Originally Posted by lou1947 View Post
I want to reset my oil change service light after changing the oil .Any clues on how to do it?I have heard that this can only be done by the dealer.Is that true?
www.durametric.com

This is the only alternative available at current. Not the cheapest and the tool currently is not able to do any coding on the 991 (maybe with a future software upgrade - if they can crack the encryption).

Rainier
Rainier_991 is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM
  #3  
last993
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 78
Default

Durametric tool didn't work for me, took it to the dealership and purchased the maintenance plan, $300 wasted, but that's ok I don't have the annoying service reminder message showing up every time i start the engine......

Tech help from Durametric company is completely useless, can't remember his name, but point blank he was rude and not helpful at all.
last993 is offline  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 AM
  #4  
Rainier_991
User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset West, South Africa
Posts: 175
Default

Originally Posted by last993 View Post
Durametric tool didn't work for me, took it to the dealership and purchased the maintenance plan, $300 wasted, but that's ok I don't have the annoying service reminder message showing up every time i start the engine......

Tech help from Durametric company is completely useless, can't remember his name, but point blank he was rude and not helpful at all.
Thanks for the post, I was about ready to order one of these...
It does say quite clearly on their website that it can reset the service reminder. This is shown on their "model/feature matrix".
However, you are the second poster so far that writes that it does not do so. Must be some truth in that...
Rainier_991 is offline  
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
  #5  
WCE
User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 716
Default

Quote from the Durametric website:
"Can the software reset the service reminder? The car's instrument cluster says "Maintenance is due in xxx miles."
Answer: Yes! Durametric can clear the service reminder on all Porsche vehicles that support one. In version 5, click on Instrument Cluster, then the Diagnostics menu, then Reset Service Reminder. In version 6, expand the Instrument Cluster folder, click Commands, then click Send.
Note: "Service Now" is different than "Maintenance due in..." The "Service Now" message is an indication that there is a fault code stored in one of the car's systems. "Maintenance Due" is the car's service reminder."

This reminder reset issue is fairly common and just another way manufacturer's are sabotaging the DIYer!
WCE is offline  
Old 08-15-2013, 03:17 PM
  #6  
deltavic
New User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Default

I had a problem resetting my 2014 981, contacted Durametric and they directed me to version 6.3.2.5.
to get the new version add this to their web addy
/durametric6.3.2.5.exe
deltavic is offline  
Old 08-15-2013, 05:25 PM
  #7  
last993
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 78
Default

Great - thanks for the info. Did it work ?
last993 is offline  
Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 PM
  #8  
rnl
User
 
rnl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
Posts: 607
Default

Remember that guy in the computer lab in high school? Ever wonder what happened to that dismissive jerk? He's working for Durametric now.

I ordered that pice of sh$t for my 991 to reset service lights and what the generously call tech support tried his best to convince me that it was the fault of my laptop and not their hardware and software. He was speechless when I told him how I used three different computers to try to reset the lights

I was lucky. It didn't fry my 991's electronics. I took it to the dealer and they torqued the suspension, did some other stuff and reset the service light for less than $70. It's a $100+ toy designed by electrical and automotive engineers, what was I thinking when I considered saving a few bucks by messing with the car's brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
rnl is offline  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM
  #9  
Rainier_991
User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset West, South Africa
Posts: 175
Default

Thanks, that version is not showing on their website.
The latest on their site shows 6.3.1.7 and is from December.
http://www.durametric.com/durametric6.3.2.5.exe downloads it though.

Anybody have any success on a 991 with this ? Would be very interested.

Rainier
Rainier_991 is offline  
Old 06-22-2016, 07:13 PM
  #10  
Jnosol
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jnosol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: KC
Posts: 573
Default

I tried this device from eBay, it works for the 997. I must not have the right driver, it's not working with the 991. Argh...

What does everyone else use to clear the service light here? (not the dealer comment... thanks)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181645870352?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Jnosol is offline  
Old 06-22-2016, 09:12 PM
  #11  
subshooter
Super User
 
subshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Orleans, LA (NOLA)
Posts: 2,507
Default

Originally Posted by Jnosol View Post
I tried this device from eBay, it works for the 997. I must not have the right driver, it's not working with the 991. Argh...

What does everyone else use to clear the service light here? (not the dealer comment... thanks)

Launch x 431 R Diagnostic Tool Reset Automotive Oil Lamp Service Light | eBay
I use a local Indy recommended by my local PCA chapter. He does the whole oil change for $125 including reset. I'm sure if I changed the oil myself, I could borrow the Durametric or pay a nominal fee to get him to do it for me.
subshooter is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 11:12 AM
  #12  
Jnosol
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jnosol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: KC
Posts: 573
Default

Anyone else use a tool that works for clearing service reminder? I'm thinking BT OBDII adapter with an app. Durametric require a PC and it looks like ancient technology. $300 for cables is a rip off. My laptops don't even have a CD drive anymore.

Last edited by Jnosol; 06-23-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Jnosol is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 11:41 AM
  #13  
JohnTz
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 26
Default

Originally Posted by Jnosol View Post
Anyone else use a tool that works for clearing service reminder? I'm thinking BT OBDII adapter with an app. Durametric require a PC and it looks like ancient technology. $300 for cables is a rip off. My laptops don't even have a CD drive anymore.
Durametric works flawlessly. It's much more than just a tool to reset the service light. Significant functionality for diagnostics and programming. The $300 isn't for the cable. It's take smart people many hours to develop and produce robust software. Somehow a business needs to make their payroll.
JohnTz is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 07:22 PM
  #14  
Jnosol
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jnosol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: KC
Posts: 573
Default

Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post
Durametric works flawlessly. It's much more than just a tool to reset the service light. Significant functionality for diagnostics and programming. The $300 isn't for the cable. It's take smart people many hours to develop and produce robust software. Somehow a business needs to make their payroll.
Good to know. It is confirmed to work with 991? Above thread is older so it didn't.
Jnosol is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 08:24 PM
  #15  
JohnTz
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 26
Default

Originally Posted by Jnosol View Post
Good to know. It is confirmed to work with 991? Above thread is older so it didn't.
Yes works on my 2015 GTS flawlessly. Can reset each of the three indicators. Also can do so much more as your needs evolve like reading the over rev data and reading all stored codes etc.
JohnTz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resetting service light


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: