Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Resetting service light (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/740575-resetting-service-light.html)

lou1947 02-13-2013 10:53 AM

Resetting service light

I want to reset my oil change service light after changing the oil .Any clues on how to do it?I have heard that this can only be done by the dealer.Is that true?

Rainier_991 02-13-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by lou1947 (Post 10220194)
I want to reset my oil change service light after changing the oil .Any clues on how to do it?I have heard that this can only be done by the dealer.Is that true?

www.durametric.com

This is the only alternative available at current. Not the cheapest and the tool currently is not able to do any coding on the 991 (maybe with a future software upgrade - if they can crack the encryption).

Rainier

last993 02-23-2013 09:47 PM

Durametric tool didn't work for me, took it to the dealership and purchased the maintenance plan, $300 wasted, but that's ok I don't have the annoying service reminder message showing up every time i start the engine......

Tech help from Durametric company is completely useless, can't remember his name, but point blank he was rude and not helpful at all.

Rainier_991 02-25-2013 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by last993 (Post 10249518)
Durametric tool didn't work for me, took it to the dealership and purchased the maintenance plan, $300 wasted, but that's ok I don't have the annoying service reminder message showing up every time i start the engine......

Tech help from Durametric company is completely useless, can't remember his name, but point blank he was rude and not helpful at all.

Thanks for the post, I was about ready to order one of these...
It does say quite clearly on their website that it can reset the service reminder. This is shown on their "model/feature matrix".
However, you are the second poster so far that writes that it does not do so. Must be some truth in that...

WCE 02-26-2013 04:06 PM

Quote from the Durametric website:
"Can the software reset the service reminder? The car's instrument cluster says "Maintenance is due in xxx miles."
Answer: Yes! Durametric can clear the service reminder on all Porsche vehicles that support one. In version 5, click on Instrument Cluster, then the Diagnostics menu, then Reset Service Reminder. In version 6, expand the Instrument Cluster folder, click Commands, then click Send.
Note: "Service Now" is different than "Maintenance due in..." The "Service Now" message is an indication that there is a fault code stored in one of the car's systems. "Maintenance Due" is the car's service reminder."

This reminder reset issue is fairly common and just another way manufacturer's are sabotaging the DIYer! :(

deltavic 08-15-2013 02:17 PM

I had a problem resetting my 2014 981, contacted Durametric and they directed me to version 6.3.2.5.
to get the new version add this to their web addy
/durametric6.3.2.5.exe

last993 08-15-2013 04:25 PM

Great - thanks for the info. Did it work ?

rnl 08-15-2013 08:58 PM

Remember that guy in the computer lab in high school? Ever wonder what happened to that dismissive jerk? He's working for Durametric now.

I ordered that pice of sh$t for my 991 to reset service lights and what the generously call tech support tried his best to convince me that it was the fault of my laptop and not their hardware and software. He was speechless when I told him how I used three different computers to try to reset the lights

I was lucky. It didn't fry my 991's electronics. I took it to the dealer and they torqued the suspension, did some other stuff and reset the service light for less than $70. It's a $100+ toy designed by electrical and automotive engineers, what was I thinking when I considered saving a few bucks by messing with the car's brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Rainier_991 08-16-2013 08:59 AM

Thanks, that version is not showing on their website.
The latest on their site shows 6.3.1.7 and is from December.
http://www.durametric.com/durametric6.3.2.5.exe downloads it though.

Anybody have any success on a 991 with this ? Would be very interested.

Rainier

Jnosol 06-22-2016 06:13 PM

I tried this device from eBay, it works for the 997. I must not have the right driver, it's not working with the 991. Argh...

What does everyone else use to clear the service light here? (not the dealer comment... thanks)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181645870352?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

subshooter 06-22-2016 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jnosol (Post 13396685)
I tried this device from eBay, it works for the 997. I must not have the right driver, it's not working with the 991. Argh...

What does everyone else use to clear the service light here? (not the dealer comment... thanks)

Launch x 431 R Diagnostic Tool Reset Automotive Oil Lamp Service Light | eBay

I use a local Indy recommended by my local PCA chapter. He does the whole oil change for $125 including reset. I'm sure if I changed the oil myself, I could borrow the Durametric or pay a nominal fee to get him to do it for me.

Jnosol 06-23-2016 10:12 AM

Anyone else use a tool that works for clearing service reminder? I'm thinking BT OBDII adapter with an app. Durametric require a PC and it looks like ancient technology. $300 for cables is a rip off. My laptops don't even have a CD drive anymore.

JohnTz 06-23-2016 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jnosol (Post 13398070)
Anyone else use a tool that works for clearing service reminder? I'm thinking BT OBDII adapter with an app. Durametric require a PC and it looks like ancient technology. $300 for cables is a rip off. My laptops don't even have a CD drive anymore.

Durametric works flawlessly. It's much more than just a tool to reset the service light. Significant functionality for diagnostics and programming. The $300 isn't for the cable. It's take smart people many hours to develop and produce robust software. Somehow a business needs to make their payroll.

Jnosol 06-23-2016 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by JohnTz (Post 13398122)
Durametric works flawlessly. It's much more than just a tool to reset the service light. Significant functionality for diagnostics and programming. The $300 isn't for the cable. It's take smart people many hours to develop and produce robust software. Somehow a business needs to make their payroll.

Good to know. It is confirmed to work with 991? Above thread is older so it didn't.

JohnTz 06-23-2016 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jnosol (Post 13399628)
Good to know. It is confirmed to work with 991? Above thread is older so it didn't.

Yes works on my 2015 GTS flawlessly. Can reset each of the three indicators. Also can do so much more as your needs evolve like reading the over rev data and reading all stored codes etc.