Sponsored by:

Ordered 2013 4S Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM
LPB
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered 2013 4S Cabriolet

I am very excited, after a long look at all the options and details for the 991, I finally ordered my car today. I want to thank all of you for the help and info I obtained from this forum.

My car is as follows:

2013 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
Bose
Premium package plus with 14 way seats
Platinum silver Metallic
Convertible Top Black
Black Leather Interior
Center tunnel rear in leather with decorative stitching
Steering column casing leather
Sport Design Steering Wheel
Instruments Dials in Black
Wheel Center caps with colored Porsche Crest
20-inch SportDesign Wheels
Power steering Plus
Sport Chrono Package
7-speed Manual Transmission
Sport Exhaust System
Wing Mirror lower part painted
Electric Folding mirrors
Park assist front and rear
Porsche Dynamic Light system

The dealer called me today and asked if I was interested in the following:
3M Front Bumper Wrap $1,299.
3M Film Protection $499.
Ceramic Tint $499.
Porche new car warranty extension to 6 yrs $3,675.
Appearance Gard Plus 5yr $1,399.
Appearance Gard Plus 4yr $1,299.
Appearance Gard Plus 3yr $1,149.
Body Gard fabric & Leather Protection $499.
Body Gard Paint & Surface Rust Protection $499.

I am from Ontario Canada, not sure how these options work in other areas?

I do not know much about these items, What do you guys think? Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

LPB
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Think it sounds like a cool car now?...jut wait 'till you get it!!
Regarding the add-ons:
Here's what I did - Clear mask, paint sealant, tinted side and back glass, clear ceramic film on windshield.

Here are some thoughts & data points:
Do a clear mask for sure. Front bumper +. My dealer here in colorado does full clear mask including side mirrors, door handles, etc. for under $1k usd.

Ceramic tint is cool...literally. Designed to keep a significant amount of heat and all the UVA and B out of the car. May not be as much of an issue in Canada.

"Appearance Guard" sounds expensive. Assuming it is a paint sealant, my dealer does a "5 year" paint sealant for $300. A good detailer may be comparable. The material to do it yourself is $25. And although they say you don't have to wax the car for 5 years, I think that would qualify as Porsche abuse and neglect!

Looks like the extended warranty is about the same amount as a dealer pays to "Certify Pre-Owned" a used car. I would inquire as to how long you have after delivery to purchase the extended warranty - no sense parking the money with the dealer/policy vendor for up to four years if you don't have to. Is the extended warranty actually offered by Porsche or a third party?

It's a big investment, and a beautiful car. Certainly don't want to throw money away on useless add-ons, but I suggest you continue your research and make the smart moves to protect and preserve it!
Good luck!

Last edited by Hammer911; 02-01-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 PM
meine911
Racer

That's going to be one sharp car. Like the options and non options (e.g. MT).

Don't know about all the guard stuff. Have seen other threads on it if you want to explore. The warranty is a personal self insured vs sleep at night question only you can decide. Of course you do have four years as a starter and might be able to decide later.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LPB
Body Gard fabric & Leather Protection $499.
Body Gard Paint & Surface Rust Protection $499.

I am from Ontario Canada, not sure how these options work in other areas?

I do not know much about these items, What do you guys think? Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
Those last two strike me as... let's say useless to avoid nastier words. The fabric and leather are already 'protected' and aftermarket products just spoil the feel. The last one is... well it's tough to swallow nasty descriptions. Porsches -- and almost everything this side of a Lancia -- are well protected as they come from the factory. Times in the past that wasn't true with some cars, notoriously Lancia and for awhile in the nineties Mercedes, but I've never heard anyone squeal about Porsche body rust.

We have a lot of East Coast and Canadian owners. How say you? Am I just a naive Southern California boy? Have I missed the crying?

Gary
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

fantastic build....! congrats . As others have said, I too would bail on the last two items...likely 75% profit margins for the dealership for 5% value to you.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to carefully consider the 6 year warranty if I can get it in Vancouver. My car, which is on the way, is going to be a "keeper". The Vancouver dealer does not offer any "clear bra" service and I don't know about the "paint" and "interior" sealant but I tend to agree with their not being worth it. People giving prices above should remember we pay more for everything in Canada than in the US. 20%+ on Porsche things/services. And, we can't take the car to the US and have it done. Penalty at border can be as much as the duty (6.1%) on the whole value of the car if you have some things done to the car in the US that aren't emergency repairs to drive it home. I'm told you can get an export permit to do these things but never heard of anyone getting it.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

I agree the paint sealant is "not worth it" in terms of paying hundreds for it.

I do believe it "is worth it" in terms of the protection it gives the finish of the car... for $25 and a couple hours of your time, if you are so inclined.

I understand about the prices in Canada and the cross-border issues...grew up in western NY state. They sure make it hard to beat the system!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

LPB - don't know where in Ontario you are located, but hope you get the chance to cruise the Niagara region in your new ride. Georgian Bay/Collingwood is sweet too!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the build. It's a great build. As for clear bra, I would recommend Xpel Ultimate and have a good independent shop do the install. If you do a search, you will find a lot of information on the various products out there.

The last items on your list, agree with others that it is a waste of $.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 PM
LPB
Cruisin'

Thanks I agree with each of you, I do think I should consider the 6 yr warranty option. I will look to a local detail shop for the 3M or maybe better products.

Quick Reply: Ordered 2013 4S Cabriolet