Sponsored by:

Which child to kill?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which child to kill?

I am fortunate in that I have two Porsches, either of which I would feel lucky to have. This is my dilemma? I have to part with one of them. One is a 991C2S Cab, sil/Carrera red/BLk top,PDK, Bose etc $130K stkr. The other a well nigh perfect '97 993tt with 28,700 miles. This car has had every weakness of that vintage addressed. Top end job by the best, clutch, clutch slave, clutch accumulator, all sensors, etc, etc. These cars each drive as new. There are equally fast, but in a quite different way. I have been in love with this marque since I was a young man (1963). I want a 356 Speedster...a bucket list item. I know this is only my decision, and that I should do what makes me happy, but I would be dishonest if I didn't acknowledge that my opinions are often shaped by you guys. So what do you think? If you are kind enough to post a response, please say what earlier Porsches you 've owned. I think I know what I'm going to do but I know one or more of you will point out something I haven't considered. Thanks...Chris
Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I would keep the 991, wait 3 years or so and buy a couple year old 991tt. That is in the back of my mind.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like you already know the answer based on your loving description of the 993TT. So lose the 991. As great as the 991 is, improvements will be made every year of it's model life cycle and yours will just loose a bit more in resale value. PAG is not building anymore 993TT's and as antiquated as it might seem next to a new 991, it is a highly desirable vehicle since it's numbers keep shrinking with every year that passes.
You can always get another 991 spec'd just like you want just by stopping into your dealer, but it's a little more difficult to find the perfect classic Porsche.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Chris, I only bought my first Porsche four years ago, but my perspective still might help you decide. The joy of a fine touring car is certainly provided by a 991 Cab. I have one also, and it's better than my 997 was, so I'm sure it's better than a 993, albeit that is a well loved and often praised generation of Porsche. Better at being a fine touring car that is. (And you didn't say, but the 991 is faster on tracks than a 993TT if you care about that.)

The reason for cherishing a 993 is its historic spirit of early Porsche. And I submit that a 356 is head and shoulders better than a 993 at that role.

Only saying, because you asked.

Gary
Old 01-26-2013, 06:49 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

keep the 993TT. 991C2S Cab can be replaced in short order. The hunt for the right 356 Speedster will be worth it;and you'll still have a coupe, so start ASAP!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Chris, I only bought my first Porsche four years ago, but my perspective still might help you decide. The joy of a fine touring car is certainly provided by a 991 Cab. I have one also, and it's better than my 997 was, so I'm sure it's better than a 993, albeit that is a well loved and often praised generation of Porsche. Better at being a fine touring car that is. (And you didn't say, but the 991 is faster on tracks than a 993TT if you care about that.)

The reason for cherishing a 993 is its historic spirit of early Porsche. And I submit that a 356 is head and shoulders better than a 993 at that role.

Only saying, because you asked.

Gary
+1 to all that.... however, I acknowledge that you really must love the 993. And, I am assuming the Audi wagon serves as more modern transportation.

I suggest a simple exercise. On a clear weekend sunny day or whatever day of the week you damn well please, take one car for a long morning drive. Take the other for a long afternoon drive. If you stray far from home and can do only one drive in a day, wait for two consecutive clear days and take them on open roads.

For a few days after that, drive neither. Then alternate between both for a couple of days for mundane stop n go driving, in traffic, etc., for running errands (assuming of course you do run errands ), etc. Wait a few more days and repeat the open road drives in reverse order of the earlier one.

Dollars to donuts the answer will present itself to you.

Of course, I am making the assumption that $$$ loses from getting rid of a new 991 or some very personal attachment to the 993 is not involved (besides the completeness of the 993tt to you).

Good luck.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

After a 914 2.0, a 74 S, a 78 SC, (on which I did all the work), a Boxter S-RS60 and now I have a 991CS. You know what a 991 is. A Speedster is a work of art, and at this point, rare fine art. It is worth the price (and effort of finding parts when you need them, which you will) and getting rebuilt or rebuilding what needs to be rebuilt. I have friends with 356s. One is a master engine/trans rebuilder who does work for people all over the country. Based on what they talk about, I think the answer is obvious. Keep as your other Porsche one that you can get into and go anywhere with total reliability and comfort and minimal care and feeding. One (pick one: hobby, toy, indulgence, master) is enough- and your Speedster, joy that it will be, will be it.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 01-27-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta say, that's one of worst thread tittles I've seen in a while.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I meant no insult. I'm sorry if I did so.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having owned a 993 and now a 991S, I would say definitely sell the 991 cab as you can pick one of those up at any time. The 993TT is a very special car and given the work you have done to it and their increasing rarity, it is almost a no brainer. Yes, the 991 is a great car but tell me one thing: when you start both cars up, which one brings a bigger smile to your face?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM
toplabels
Instructor

I am very lucky to own three Porsches: red/black 1987 carrera, black/black 2001 996 which I use for track duty only and a red/black 2013 991 manual transmission all of which I am in love with. Your predicament is pretty tuff. It'd be really hard to have to make a decision like yours. Without telling you what to do I must say that even though I don't think I would like to part with my 991 , the older cars always bring me more satisfaction. I did read an opinion here that it would probably be easier to replace a 991 than a well kept 993 TT and yours enemy's to fall in this category....so there you go it's decision time....
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
toplabels
Instructor

.....yours seems to fall.....

Stupid iPad replacing words
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Sell the '97 TT.
How little do you want for it? Sounds like too much has gone wrong with it
If money's not the issue, it'll be a lot easier to replace the 991 in any configuration you like, as others have said.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep the 991 and add the 356. That way you will own both ends of the spectrum. It will also cause you less headaches compared to owning two older cars.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can see in my signature that my 993tt is the only one I really miss. All were great cars, but for me the 993 had the superior styling.

That said...I wouldn't give up my 991C4S to have it back. Finally owning a brand-new C4S was a dream of mine since I first knowingly set eyes on one years ago. I only have about 400 miles on the new one, but already know I could not have made a better choice for me.

I've mentioned this before on another thread: flip a coin once - while it is in the air, your heart will tell you which way you want it to land. Then disregard the result of the flip and go with what your heart told you...and never look back.

Good luck, be happy - there are a lot worse conundrums to have!

Quick Reply: Which child to kill?