Sponsored by:

Bose or Burmester w/o Satellite Antenna Option

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 PM
apexquest
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose or Burmester w/o Satellite Antenna Option

Call me crazy but I really dislike the antenna bump below the rear window.

Is this only for Sat radio or is it also for HD radio? Most importantly, is there a way to spec a build with the Bose of Burmester audio without adding this antenna? I have just about zero interest in Sat radio (I've had trials on other cars and never end up subscribing or using it) but would like to have upgraded sound while maintaining the cleaner look on the back of the car.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

depends on your country options - go to the configurator & see.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the Burmester on mine and they told me satellite radio was required, no way to remove it from the package. This is from Sascha Glaeser, Porsche West Coast consultant, so he would know. Don't know about the Bose, I didn't ask.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

According to the configurator for the 991 (US version) both the Bose audio package and the Burmester package come standard with satellite radio, HD radio, and CD changer. No way to order Bose or Burmester "ala carte" from what I can see. This has changed since I got Bose on my '09 997.2 as the satellite radio and changer were extra back then.

Didn't check for other countries, but in the US it looks like you're stuck with the satellite antenna if you order either of the upgraded sound systems.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 AM
Attilars
Intermediate

Yes unfortunately no way around it that I have found in the US. Lucky for me I found the base better than expected, so decided to stick with it and as a bonus that meant i avoided the ugly sat radio bump. BTW it is only for sat radio. Adding HD radio does not add the external antenna.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in the US market, the bump is not just for Sat radio it is also the GPS antenna. No option to delete either I'm aftraid.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM
GT325
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

if you opt for the base stereo you do NOT get the bump. BUT you still get GPS. not sure where the GPS antenna is located tho?

My USA 991 C2S has base stereo no wart and still has GPS.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the bump is only for Sat radio. I have GPS (but not Sat radio) in my Carrera and Cayenne and neither have a bump.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through this same connundrum a little while ago. Not only do I dislike the look of the antenna hump, but I do not listen to XM radio and due to past family experiences, XM Sirius will never see a dime of my money, benefits of XM navtraffic notwithstanding. For the US market the only way to avoid the hump is to stick with the Sound Package Plus that comes with the car. You can add HD radio and/or online services without the XM to the SPP and you will get the car without the Antenna hump. If you want Bose or the Burmester there is no other way except to get the package which includes the 6 disc changer, XM & HD.

For my tastes, the bose was less desirable than the SPP and certainly not worth blight of the hump , but the Burmester is an incredible system and in the end I did order it. I suppose the antenna blob will grow on me, or I will see if I can get that body panel replaced with one without the antenna.

Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Bose or Burmester w/o Satellite Antenna Option