Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked an E63 on the way home.....

Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePartsMan
[...]Gary, I am sure you are not insinuating that I am a careless driver. No bystanders along this stretch of road.
I wouldn't do that. But we have a lot of youngsters that Google our posts. Joy of cars, like joy of other things, is always in order, but we need to consider sometimes the effect a post may have on readers without our maturity.

What I'm saying is that judging all the factors that make some particular action on a particular road into an exception to the general rules of sanity requires maturity. Not all our readers have that, so we have to be a little careful how we describe things.

Gary, who considers the E63 a slug, but he'd best leave that as it stands
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Speaking as someone, who for years daily drove to work in Germany at over 130 mph every day on the Autobahn, street racing is a hugely bad choice. Gary is spot on. I could write 500 words to explain all the things that could go wrong and how innocent people could be killed. We don't have an Autobahn and even in Germany, street racing is illegal and unwarranted. Exchange business cards and take it to the track next time please.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Originally Posted by fast1
[...]Once you get an E63 up to speed, they are hard to beat. If it were an E63 AMG I'd advise the owner to get a tuneup.
Actually, I'd advise him to get a life. The results of any street race are determined entirely by who is more worried about losing his license, since both have shown they don't care about risk to bystanders, and public streets aren't configured to challenge modern cars. This ain't Woodward Avenue and these ain't flathead Fords. If you get challenged this way more than once a decade, you may be driving in a way that invites them.

Corvettes get this all the time, but most people assume Porsche owners know better. Get cards printed with the address of the nearest track and the website to find the next DE day for PCA or POC. Flip one to the next challenger. Or flip something else if you ... well, never mind.

Gary
Gary - You're only half right here. Street racing is strongly reprimanded in the Corvette forum. Based in this thread it seems it is more strongly discouraged there than here. I had one for 5 years and never got into a street race; my racing was confined to the track.

Take a visit over there. We know how easy it is to get killed in a 400+ hp machine that gets from 60 to 120 in fewer than 10 seconds.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Lt. Arclight
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first post here. I previously owned a 99 996C2 and currently own a C63. Since I am replacing it with a new Carrera S very soon I was perusing the forum and came across this street racing post.

I am a retired Police Lieutenant and have a strong background in accident investigation and reconstruction. I can state this as a matter of fact. There has been a great deal of work done by manufacturers in cooperation with Law enforcement agencies in regards to modern vehicle electronics-THE BLACK BOX. Every car today has one and the newer the vehicle the more sophisticated they have become. In a serious motor vehicle accidents with fatalities or serious injuries it has become common practice for investigating agencies,through a court order, to retrieve the data logged on the ECU.

Even though German manufacturers have privacy laws to deal with at home, here in the US, it is a privilege- not a RIGHT to operate a motor vehicle. Many "street racing" accidents are prosecuted as criminal acts and it is impossible for you to try to prevent your data from being taken from your car. And search warrants are issued regularly. This data logged is amazing and quite damaging to anyone that was involved. Throttle position, steering inputs, vehicle speed, G loading etc are all logged prior to an impact. Simply put-is it really worth potentially losing your freedom and risk financial destruction over the impulse to race someone that has been tailgating you?

And after learning what I have about how much ANY vehicle computer logs-I won't even consider it. The computers aren't there specifically as a BIG BROTHER intruder but more specifically for the active restraint systems,ie airbags, braking systems etc. This data is not accessible using dealer or other OBDII sytems and can be gather through the OBDII port or by actually examining the ECU(or what is left of it). Just be aware before you decide to give in to the impulse.

I am not here to judge anyone,we all have done stupid things. But today,there seems to be more and more younger drivers in VERY FAST cars. If you are in a 911 or other performance car,it seems like people come out of the woodwork to get involved in a street race.BMW 335's,Subaru's, Sport bikes-you name it-everybody wants to RACE! Maybe I'm getting to old-but track days and auto-cross,DE events are really popular now-I'd rather play there-than on a public street.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

When people ask me to race, I invite them to a track day event. Most then decline and drive off. I have seen too many auto accident victims being brought into the ER to want to start racing every jackass who feels he has to prove his ***** size on the street.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Can't say what Gary was insinuating, or not, but I am saying you street raced, and no bystanders or not, THAT'S RECKLESS.

I don't own an E63, but I do own a CLS55 and a 991 C2S. I truly do not find the P car to be faster than the AMG on a straight line. If you live in SF Bay Area, or happen to one day bein the area with your car, let me know and we'll go to Infineon and let's run for a beer.

Originally Posted by ThePartsMan
I do have the 991S and an E63 is a lug of a heavy car. The stretch of highway that we were travelling was completely safe for this kind of drag race. After I pulled several lengths ahead of him to the point where I could see him the rear view, I let off and let him pass. I am impressed how the PDK downshifted and just allowed the engine to redline before shifting.

Gary, I am sure you are not insinuating that I am a careless driver. No bystanders along this stretch of road.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Surviving our stupid years not only gives us the right but the obligation to mention that it isn't smart to fly into icing conditions with ... ahem. Never mind.

Gary, with a very lucky youth
Please continue the story .... I don't think the FAA monitors this forum.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt. Arclight
My first post here. I previously owned a 99 996C2 and currently own a C63. Since I am replacing it with a new Carrera S very soon I was perusing the forum and came across this street racing post.

I am a retired Police Lieutenant and have a strong background in accident investigation and reconstruction. I can state this as a matter of fact. There has been a great deal of work done by manufacturers in cooperation with Law enforcement agencies in regards to modern vehicle electronics-THE BLACK BOX. Every car today has one and the newer the vehicle the more sophisticated they have become. In a serious motor vehicle accidents with fatalities or serious injuries it has become common practice for investigating agencies,through a court order, to retrieve the data logged on the ECU.

Even though German manufacturers have privacy laws to deal with at home, here in the US, it is a privilege- not a RIGHT to operate a motor vehicle. Many "street racing" accidents are prosecuted as criminal acts and it is impossible for you to try to prevent your data from being taken from your car. And search warrants are issued regularly. This data logged is amazing and quite damaging to anyone that was involved. Throttle position, steering inputs, vehicle speed, G loading etc are all logged prior to an impact. Simply put-is it really worth potentially losing your freedom and risk financial destruction over the impulse to race someone that has been tailgating you?

And after learning what I have about how much ANY vehicle computer logs-I won't even consider it. The computers aren't there specifically as a BIG BROTHER intruder but more specifically for the active restraint systems,ie airbags, braking systems etc. This data is not accessible using dealer or other OBDII sytems and can be gather through the OBDII port or by actually examining the ECU(or what is left of it). Just be aware before you decide to give in to the impulse.

I am not here to judge anyone,we all have done stupid things. But today,there seems to be more and more younger drivers in VERY FAST cars. If you are in a 911 or other performance car,it seems like people come out of the woodwork to get involved in a street race.BMW 335's,Subaru's, Sport bikes-you name it-everybody wants to RACE! Maybe I'm getting to old-but track days and auto-cross,DE events are really popular now-I'd rather play there-than on a public street.
In light of this information, perhaps every new car buyer should be required to sign an agreement acknowledging that said data is determined to be the property of the authorities. I'm all for improving automobile and traffic safety, but where is the line drawn concerning such issues? I own the car, but not the data?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Lt. Arclight
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pfan
In light of this information, perhaps every new car buyer should be required to sign an agreement acknowledging that said data is determined to be the property of the authorities. I'm all for improving automobile and traffic safety, but where is the line drawn concerning such issues? I own the car, but not the data?
Unfortunately, you don't. Given probable cause the court can issue a warrant to search YOUR HOUSE.If someone you cared about would happen to be injured or God forbid killed by a wreckless driver wouldn't you want it investigated? Fortunately these cases only involve very serious accidents. There is an insurance company that is marketing "snapshot" a device you plug into your OBDII port to prove you are a good driver!!! And people actually VOLUNTEER to use it!!

On the other hand,what if Porsche voids your warranty for overrevving the engine? Its your car....but they know everytime you bounce it off the revlimiter.Practically all of us carry cell phones that track our every movement. The same technology that gave us 400-700 HP in production cars unfortunately keep track of alot of things. Airbags need to control their deployment force so they don't kill a child or small adult.Its a double edged sword.

If you check your owners manual there usually is a small mention of the data acquisition system in your car. I guess it was alot easier just to have to remember to change plugs,points and distributor cap every 12 thousand miles or so
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we can all agree that street racing is ludicrous, but we'd also have to admit that the 911 is one helluva temptation. just look at all the threads geared toward radardectectors and laser jammers stealth custom installs (present company included). we are all finding our own clandestine ways of "airing out" our p-car beasts. let's not overly moralize on the op's story since we all know we are all doing some degree of that regularly. reality is, we can't all go to autocross events or track days to get a whiff of what the 991 can do. what to do? common sense rules the day--be selective and safe out there everyone!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sex with an AIDS infested hooker that looks like a young Monica Bellucci is one hell of a temptation too but I ain't gonna do it. Common sense trumps your ace of spades.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:28 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmb13
Gary - You're only half right here. Street racing is strongly reprimanded in the Corvette forum. Based in this thread it seems it is more strongly discouraged there than here. I had one for 5 years and never got into a street race; my racing was confined to the track.

Take a visit over there. We know how easy it is to get killed in a 400+ hp machine that gets from 60 to 120 in fewer than 10 seconds.
No offense intended at all. I didn't mean that Corvette owners accept those challenges. I just meant they get more of them. It seems that every kid with a hot Mustang wants to see if he can smoke a Corvette.

Gary
Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=holminator;10157265]Sex with an AIDS infested hooker that looks like a young Monica Bellucci is one hell of a temptation too but I ain't gonna do it. Common sense trumps your ace of spades.

ha! holminator, thank you for the vids...wow...hopefully you are not running into that temptation too often. but you are stepping into your 911 every day...it's beckoning you, with its siren wail...

there isn't a person in this forum who hasn't willfully exceeded the speed limit or taken on ramp curves above the posted 35mph sign in wet conditions....or much less just plain gunned it when the light turns yellow. none of these things are as reckless as street racing, but still can pose degrees of risk of harm to person and property.

when is aggressive driving ever safe? yet we've all participated in that. just saying, we all live in the real world. when having fun with your 991, use your noggin.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfan
Please continue the story .... I don't think the FAA monitors this forum.
Never happened. I wasn't there. Anyway, I added forty knots to the landing speed so the inches[!] of trailing ice on the tail assembly didn't matter. Much.

"Climb if you start picking up ice" can be attempted only up to the reduced ceiling available with icing. See aforementioned reluctance of hypothetical too-late-cautious pilot to approach stall or even best-rate airspeed. After that, "descend below icing layer" is uncomfortable even in countryside as flat as Minnesota. Where I was not. So it was not me who had the actual obstacle clearance altitudes figured from a spare VFR chart, in preparation for a scud-running escape from IMC. Wasn't me. And all that isn't supposed to happen anyway when the OAT is around zero but 'supposed' cuts no ice with ol' Nick and boy did we need some cut that day.

Once on the ramp, the kids loved "the icicles Daddy made" on the rudder. Icicles!?! Daddy was decidedly less enthusiastic and wondering if he could have got it stopped from fifty knots above usual approach speed since it was an old bomber base. Tires are cheap. Mommy was silent, but gave me a hug after we closed the flight plan.

Sometimes the hoary "possibility of en-route icing" has to be believed, even if they cut and paste it into every forecast in certain parts of the country. I also never wound my way through a line of embedded thunderstorms in a Piper Seminole with a load of my engineers going to a design review. I think I was in a monastery that Summer. We could check my log.

Surviving stupid carries an obligation of some sort. Not always sure exactly about details of that, but I try.

Gary, luckier than he deserves
Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Well if you think a wee street race is naughty then check out this complete **** jockey

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69892

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoked an E63 on the way home.....