Sponsored by:

2014 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Huh? The ZR1, and even an optioned Z06, are right on top of the 991 in price. For this reason, the Corvette now comes under harsher scrutiny in areas like design, materials, fit, finish, etc.
Your talking top of the line Vette, which is still plenty cheaper then top of the line 911 Turbo S or GT3 RS and beat them at the ring. The mega expensive GT2 RS is only like a mere second faster round the ring but still slower then a Viper.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I won't quibble about subjective details other than to say that the relatively flat bottomed Corvette seats will have nothing like the support of the Porsche Sport Buckets, the video screens are a turn-off for me, you can list all the interior materials you like, (it's about execution and the interior still looks cheap), and the 991 doesn't have "100 buttons" on the center console. Hyperbole doesn't make a very good argument.

My technical issues comment refers to the fact that Chevy still uses a leaf spring rear suspension, plastic bodywork, relatively low revving OHV V8, and offers no modern dual clutch auto/manual. Since the drivetrain is the heart of a sports car, IMO, those last two are particularly significant.

Look, we can argue about personal preferences like the shape of the headlights all day, but it's pointless. I can prefer Porsche's approach to sports cars and you can prefer Corvette's. More than that, a car like the Porsche or Corvette has to reach you on an emotional level. No matter how capable the Corvette may prove to be I can't get past the way it looks. To me, the Porsche look is timeless and classic, the Corvette is from the "hey look at me" neo-Batmobile school. Strictly my biased, totally subjective opinion; I get that others feel differently. Fortunately, we have a car that can appeal to each of us and I'm willing to agree to disagree as to which one of us is "right".

The suspension must be working if it's still being used to beat super cars. Unless I am buying a car for the wife the nancy boy auto will never be in my garage. I am too frugal and don't have the luxury of being able to waste all that money on a car made so the lowest common denominator can run with the big boys and I pay to drive my car for the enjoyment of becoming better driver not the other way round. With the rev matching technology turned on for the times when perfection is key to not losing lap time, who needs it anyways, with PDK your stuck with it, have fun winning at DE don't let those GTR on the track with you or you may get disappointed by an even lesser driver.

oh, I also apologize if I am a bit harsh with respect to pdk or similar gearboxes. That's just how I feel. I think it has ruined F1 and all lot of motor sport that allow it and I know for a fact that their will be lots of people snickering at the track about the guys ruining pdk. Nothing against you personally.

Last edited by jumper5836; 01-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Strictly my biased, totally subjective opinion; I get that others feel differently. Fortunately, we have a car that can appeal to each of us and I'm willing to agree to disagree as to which one of us is "right".

Did it ever occur to you that it's not a right or wrong choice? Everyone has a set of criteria that they use to make a car selection, and based on that criteria a 991 or C7 or a 991 and C7 may be the right choice.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Huh? technical upgrades. Porsche is not the best in this aspect and you have to pay for it.

With the C7 comes many advanced updates.

Active Rev Matching ensures the perfect shifts whether you’re up-shifting or down-shifting.
The 991 has down-shifting at extra $ but it has no up-shifting. I’d point out down-shifting is no big deal it only helps those that can’t heel and tow but even for those who can, it will do this for you perfectly every time. Now up-shifting is where the real improvement is. This is where automatic transmission like PDK improve acceleration performance because there is no loss of rpm and power when it changes gears. With the C7 active rev matching will close the gap that the flappy paddle gear boxes have and guess what, it does this and you get to keep your clutch pedal and not lose all the enjoyment of driving. Also rev matching feature can be turned off/on by paddles on the wheel.
Who needs PDK and an extra 45 lbs of weight now.

Electronic limited-slip differential, electronic e-brake

Active exhaust systems valves that open for enhanced performance and sound like PSE without the extra $

DFI and cylinder deactivation.

Brembo Brakes and 18/19″ wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport run-flat tires. Rear tires are now 285’s, due to improved rubber technology which sure will help in the rain vs the hydroplaning 325’s, I’ll take 18’s over those 991 20’s any day.

New aluminum frame structure that is 57% stiffer and 99 pounds lighter than the C6 steel frame.

Improved aerodynamics help balance front and rear grip for high-speed driving. This is the vent in the hood that pushes air flow down and keeps the front end from lifting.

Head lights that don’t look like they came from the 60’s era.

Interior is really improved, leather and real aluminum and carbon fiber trim everywhere. Competition seats that look like GT2 seats. Instrument cluster that has advanced technologies include a five-position Drive Mode Selector that optimizes 12 different configurations for the driving conditions in five settings: Weather, Eco, Tour, Sport and Track. Two 720p high-def eight-inch screens and a configurable color heads up display provide the driver with the personalized details. I’ll take that over the out of place 100 button Panamera center console in the 991.

It’s value, I’d expect that the C7 will run circles around 991’s at the track all for the price of a Boxster S.
Since no one here has test driven it, I call bullsheisse.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Your talking top of the line Vette, which is still plenty cheaper then top of the line 911 Turbo S or GT3 RS and beat them at the ring. The mega expensive GT2 RS is only like a mere second faster round the ring but still slower then a Viper.
I will try to remember that the next time I see one blow up on a West Virginia mountain top while they were trying to prove who "the man" was. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

The suspension must be working if it's still being used to beat super cars. Unless I am buying a car for the wife the nancy boy auto will never be in my garage. I am too frugal and don't have the luxury of being able to waste all that money on a car made so the lowest common denominator can run with the big boys and I pay to drive my car for the enjoyment of becoming better driver not the other way round. With the rev matching technology turned on for the times when perfection is key to not losing lap time, who needs it anyways, with PDK your stuck with it, have fun winning at DE don't let those GTR on the track with you or you may get disappointed by an even lesser driver.
And yet somehow the 911 remains the benchmark for decades. What part of the story are we missing?

Good discussion though.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Has anyone considered that making statements about elitism and stereotypes being bad reveals certain vulnerabilities and weaknesses about themselves?
No, I haven't "considered" that. But your statement tells me a lot about you.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

We understand your point(at least me personally,so I don't involve everyone). But please allow me to spend a little extra and feel like I'm in a fine sports automobile,not in a cheap feeling,crappy design,rattling can of peanuts! I could care less how fast the Vette,GTR,Viper etc are at the track. They could be 20s faster,I DON'T CARE! I don't go to the track and I DO NOT modify my cars.
Cheers!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
We understand your point(at least me personally,so I don't involve everyone). But please allow me to spend a little extra and feel like I'm in a fine sports automobile,not in a cheap feeling,crappy design,rattling can of peanuts! I could care less how fast the Vette,GTR,Viper etc are at the track. They could be 20s faster,I DON'T CARE! I don't go to the track and I DO NOT modify my cars.
Cheers!
I hope all of you realize that the argu, uhm, conversation, you are having has been going on for 50 years. Here's hoping it goes another 50!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

The suspension must be working if it's still being used to beat super cars.
And again, our definition of "working" is different. Being able to "beat" competitor A at track B is not sufficient -- or even necessary -- before a manufacturer can say it has built a better car.

Otherwise, when confronted with the ZL1, the Corvette drivers would have to answer to the Camaro devotees. Right?

Edit re: points made by holminator and neanicu: to be fair, I've seen more complaints about rattles and squeaks in the 991 than in the C6 Vette, and there has also been more than one report on this very forum of a 991 being towed back to the dealer after experiencing an I'm-sorry-Dave-I-can't-do-that failure at the side of the road. All of these cars are getting too smart for their drivers' own good, IMHO, which may tie in with jumper5836's point.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu
Cheers!
originally I bought my first car feeling the same way and for the same reason with no intension of tracking.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Strictly my biased, totally subjective opinion; I get that others feel differently. Fortunately, we have a car that can appeal to each of us and I'm willing to agree to disagree as to which one of us is "right".

Did it ever occur to you that it's not a right or wrong choice? Everyone has a set of criteria that they use to make a car selection, and based on that criteria a 991 or C7 or a 991 and C7 may be the right choice.
Of course it occured to me, it was exactly my point (poorly made, apparently), and why I put "right" in quotes. I agree, there is no "right" or "wrong", just what one prefers, which is why it's silly to argue that my preference is "better" than someone elses.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I hope all of you realize that the argu, uhm, conversation, you are having has been going on for 50 years. Here's hoping it goes another 50!
Don't say that. I like to watch the foolishness and sometimes add a little fuel to the fire. Robert Graves once said in I, Claudius, "let all the evils in the mud hatch out."
Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PCC
No, I haven't "considered" that. But your statement tells me a lot about you.
My eight year says that: "I know you are but what am I?" Try again. You can do better. Don't lazy. I wager 200 quatloos, 4 packs of smokes and two kicks in the nuts you can do it.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
And again, our definition of "working" is different. Being able to "beat" competitor brand A around track B is not sufficient -- or even necessary -- before a manufacturer can say it has built a better car.

Otherwise, when confronted with the ZL1, the Corvette drivers would have to answer to the Camaro devotees. Right?
Camaro is world apart at the ring. Not sure what the Z06 needs to worry about except straight up hp but with that there is also the Mustang.

Quick Reply: 2014 Stingray