Sponsored by:

2014 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
Those who believe the Corvette and 911 are competitors have obviously never driven a 911. Not knocking the GM product; unbeatable bang for the buck, but I don't know anyone who ever had the buying process narrowed down to a choice between the two. The cars are from different planets.
I totally agree. One of the cars I'd traded in for my new 911S was a ZO6. It was a hot rod, but not in the same league as the Porsche. Fit and finish was horrible, and keeping the power to the pavement was next to impossible; first and second gear are totally useless without drag radials on the street.

It is possible to turn a great ET with a ZO6 at a well-prepped drag-strip if you know how to launch the car, but on the street, the car will try to kill you if you're not paying complete attention.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

God I get sick of this...the 'Vette gets 26+mpg on the highway...what do you want in terms of efficiency?

Originally Posted by neanicu
I can already see Jeremy Clarkson knocking on the rear panel above the bumper for that cheap plastic feel...
6.2 L???!!! Come on! It's 2014!!! That era is gone! Did GM ever hear about efficiency?! Couldn't they have come up with like a 4.0L V8 Turbo or similar and get MORE for LESS?!
How are they going to compete with European cars when in Europe the trend is small cars,small engines and most of all DIESEL efficiency?! Even sports cars seem to be heading in the efficiency direction... That's what the guy is saying in the video : ' we need to be competitive in all markets ' How?!...I'm asking... How efficient can a 6.2L be...?!
Don't even want to start talking about looks and interior quality...
I see the same concept here...lots of HP and torque for not that much money...which works great for some...
I'd give them this : they are improving...slowly but surely!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 AM
Hotmetal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice videos

Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

I find this a little odd; it seems the Corvette guys appreciate the 911 for what it is, and some on the 911 forum just don't get it? LOL

I really thought I was going to get flamed when I posted my departure on the Corvette forum, but I was pleasantly surprised. These Corvette guys are pretty smart after all.

One quote stands out to me: "It is not all about speed. Its the experience."

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...y-so-long.html
Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

There seems to be more love for the 'Vette in the GT3 forum. They get that it's bang-for-the-buck and not about making the same "statement".

And I LOVE that it has an OHV smallblock. Simple, powerful and efficient design.

Originally Posted by carrerapete
I find this a little odd; it seems the Corvette guys appreciate the 911 for what it is, and some on the 911 forum just don't get it? LOL

I really thought I was going to get flamed when I posted my departure on the Corvette forum, but I was pleasantly surprised. These Corvette guys are pretty smart after all.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree. I spent many years on that forum (see lots of stars lol). One of my few regrets in life is selling my mint C6. FWIW, for all the C7 bashing, this thread sure has a lot of replies!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I appreciate the value that the C7 represents and I'm glad to see that the American car industry is making world class performance cars. I don't having anything against the Corvette, per se, but I think the styling in particular of the C7 is over the top and lessens the appeal of the car, for me. The look of the interior and the video arcade instrument cluster are also turn-offs. The car will probably be fast as hell, but there are many subjective issues that keep it from being considered in the same class as the 911, again, for me. Some of these are due to the price difference, and some aren't.

I do get it, but it isn't for me.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-16-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hope the vehicle looks better in person. C7 looks like the ugliest Corvette yet. It's as if the chief designer took traits from the Cadillac sport line up, the Camaro, and Ferrari California, threw them in a bag with some air, and popped the bag over a drawing board. Despite what the press is saying, the interior doesn't look all that different except for some heavier grade leather. If the 911 never existed, heck if Porsche never was born, I still would not pick the C7. The older Corvettes prior to the late 1970s were certainly better than anything GM produced lately but it's not as if GM cannot produce excellent cars. The Buick line up is impressive and the LaCross is China's most desirable vehicle to buy. The Corvette group needs a new design team or something. Just my two cents. Eh, maybe if I was a short, fat, bald guy, with a shorter (hahaha) *****, I might find the vette the shizznit. I don't know. Whatever. <shrugging but no Atlas>

Last edited by holminator; 01-16-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

If you're looking for just a sports car with bang for buck, then the Vette is for you. But if you've had the pleasure of owning or driving more refined sports car you can never go back to something like a Vette. I mean they're great because they are reliable for the most part, and cheap to maintain. But, after owning numerous Porsches, the Vettes just feel numb. But if you only care about straight line acceleration, then.... hey.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Just wrong

This vette is just wrong in so many ways. The body is an abortion and the interior is an updated 1990 c4 interior.

I saw the speed special on the new viper last night and dodge just nailed it with the new viper.

I think Chevy went in a way different direction which might not bold well. Go to the corvette forum there is an uproar about this c7.
I have never seen so many negative posts in a corvette forum directed to corvettes, the hatred is usually directed to the 911's and vipers.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ljpviper
This vette is just wrong in so many ways. The body is an abortion and the interior is an updated 1990 c4 interior.

I saw the speed special on the new viper last night and dodge just nailed it with the new viper.

I think Chevy went in a way different direction which might not bold well. Go to the corvette forum there is an uproar about this c7.
I have never seen so many negative posts in a corvette forum directed to corvettes, the hatred is usually directed to the 911's and vipers.
Are they as hilarious as the 997 owner reaction to the 991?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Can't be. lol

http://www.epicfail.com/2011/11/27/c...e-owners-fail/
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Default It's 100 times as bad

The 997/991 forum stuff is nothing to what is happening at the corvette forum. We had issues with the steering mainly.

The vette guys have issues with the entire car, funny stuff.

Kinda reminds me off the 996 when it was introduced. You replaced the 993 with this
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Owners of earlier Vettes are complaining the C7 rear end being copied from the Camaro in the same way the owners of earlier 911s complained about the 991 being copied from the Panamera. The interior seems to infuriate them less than the 991 did to 997 owners, but like the 991 haters none of the complainers could have been in one.

I think the rear and the interior of the C7 really illustrate the differences between Porsche and GM. Porsche does function in understated ways, GM seems to need flash to justify its design. Someone commented on how right the front looked and how wrong the back looked. The back of the Vette is a big canvas. Should be easy to clean up. All in all I think it is a solid step forward for Vette faithful.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

I have a 997 and I just miss the go-cart feel that the 991 seems to have lost. Now the body of the 991 is a nice evolution of the series. No complaints with that.

The c7 seems to be a mishmash of different cars.

Quick Reply: 2014 Stingray