Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive cruise control and Porsche Active Safe (PAS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:02 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just don't put a front plate on... Looks much nicer that way anyway. Never used a front plate on my previous car and only got one ticket in 2 years.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is still an open issue in reference to the front license plates, but I thought I would also chime in on why I did not get it.

I really wanted to get this system. But a few things stopped me:

1) The system is made by Bosch and is the same system as used in some other German cars also. Now this may be all anectodal information , but a co-worker who has this system on an Audi A6 has had multiple problems with the ACC sensor out of adjustment or something along those lines. The dealer remedied it the first time as a courtesy, but made him aware that the adjustment is not covered under warranty, same way wheel alignments are not. It happened again after a few months and he had to pay to get it fixed. This may not apply to Porsche dealers but I decided to avoid it out of abundance of caution.

2) The system as implemented in the Porsche does not allow a fall-back and there is no PCM setting to disable the sensor portion and use a normal set-speed cruise control. ACC has limitations and I wanted to use normal cruise if possible. According to MikeinCA in a thread in the cayenne forum, he suggested that this may be because of liability and I think I tend to agree because of the way Bosch implements the system.

3) I don't have a problem with the tech, I just don't like Bosch's system and Porsche's implementation of it. Denso is doing a much better job with these over in Japan. The new Lexus Ls's system is adaptive, but does allow a fallback in which case a warning is prominently displayed in the driver display. It just works nearly 100% of the time and there is no silly dome, just something hidden behind a nearly indestructible clear porthole of sorts. The older version, that even Honda Accord is now using in their top trim model allows a fallback but only after multiple button presses and warnings, I presume to avoid liability.

As much as I like the tech and wanted it, I feel Porsche's version needs to be improved. Maybe the ACC innodrive they are testing will be better... but I don't need to worry about that at this time. There are also camera based systems from Subaru which I expect to get popular over time with manufacturers although I am not sure how good they are either.

Getting back to the topic, as I mentioned earlier, I still can't believe Porsche would market this system without mentioning the Front License plate restriction, if there is one.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 PM
GoGoSA991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
This is still an open issue in reference to the front license plates, but I thought I would also chime in on why I did not get it.

I really wanted to get this system. But a few things stopped me:

1) The system is made by Bosch and is the same system as used in some other German cars also. Now this may be all anectodal information , but a co-worker who has this system on an Audi A6 has had multiple problems with the ACC sensor out of adjustment or something along those lines. The dealer remedied it the first time as a courtesy, but made him aware that the adjustment is not covered under warranty, same way wheel alignments are not. It happened again after a few months and he had to pay to get it fixed. This may not apply to Porsche dealers but I decided to avoid it out of abundance of caution.

2) The system as implemented in the Porsche does not allow a fall-back and there is no PCM setting to disable the sensor portion and use a normal set-speed cruise control. ACC has limitations and I wanted to use normal cruise if possible. According to MikeinCA in a thread in the cayenne forum, he suggested that this may be because of liability and I think I tend to agree because of the way Bosch implements the system.

3) I don't have a problem with the tech, I just don't like Bosch's system and Porsche's implementation of it. Denso is doing a much better job with these over in Japan. The new Lexus Ls's system is adaptive, but does allow a fallback in which case a warning is prominently displayed in the driver display. It just works nearly 100% of the time and there is no silly dome, just something hidden behind a nearly indestructible clear porthole of sorts. The older version, that even Honda Accord is now using in their top trim model allows a fallback but only after multiple button presses and warnings, I presume to avoid liability.

As much as I like the tech and wanted it, I feel Porsche's version needs to be improved. Maybe the ACC innodrive they are testing will be better... but I don't need to worry about that at this time. There are also camera based systems from Subaru which I expect to get popular over time with manufacturers although I am not sure how good they are either.

Getting back to the topic, as I mentioned earlier, I still can't believe Porsche would market this system without mentioning the Front License plate restriction, if there is one.
Thanks for the notes on the ACC. That is an optional cost and I've convinced myself I can do without and use the money to buy some extra leather coverings . However the PAS is not optional (as far as I know) and its physically in question of being covered by a US front plate.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGoSA991
However the PAS is not optional (as far as I know) and its physically in question of being covered by a US front plate.
I am not sure what you mean by that. Unless PAS is an reference to a superset of technologies (and I don't know that it is), forward collision warning and braking being part of PAS (with the ACC radar sensor), the assumption is that there is no PAS if you don't get ACC.

Quick Reply: Adaptive cruise control and Porsche Active Safe (PAS)