Sponsored by:

Break-In Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, the lumbar pain of course. I have spine problems that caused my neurologist to insist I buy a car with a different vibration spectrum than my 997, and "with only two pedals Gary!" My insistence that my leg has been depressing clutch pedals since about 1952 cut no ice. He insisted the torque on my lower spine was the factor contributing to my problem.

I think he expected me to buy a Mercedes, like his CLS, since his impression of Porsches still includes "they have those pedals offset to the center, right?" In fact, I know he wanted me to do that, but I test drove the better seat (the 18-way bugger) with the better quality foam in the cushions, then added the Cabriolet chassis, then the longer wheelbase of the 991, and finally succumbed to his demands by trying the PDK that I had scorned on previous drives in 997 and 987 models.

You may correctly infer that I was forced into objective testing of the PDK. I hated the idea. But honestly, I can't say I'm missing anything by owning the PDK. Operating a clutch effectively is still part of my skill set, but exercising it seems to have no more effect on my joy than stoking coal fires would. (Which may come back? Didn't someone say something about hybrid drive vehicles? I stay out of politics.)

Seriously, the shift logic in the PDK is obviously tuned by observations of skilled drivers in different circumstances. Routine driving is very much like the way I would drive when Cindy was feeling poorly and decidedly did not want the Sports Car Adventure to be part of her day. Changing to Sport mode, it seems almost telepathic in shifting just as I decide it's about time for the lower gear. Even more important are two merits:
  • It recognizes the control movements and body accelerations that indicate a skilled driver is about to enter a corner, and it shifts before the gear is needed, just as I do with a manual;
  • It doesn't object when my greater skill [if I may be immodest] sees a need to shift up or down when the computer has not seen the need yet. The relinquishment of control is absolute for ... eight seconds I think it is, but it actually continues for as long as body accelerations indicate I am cornering the car and want my own way for a while. Really quite clever programming.
Basically, it does the impossible. I shifts for me, just as I would, when I have better things to occupy my attention, and it lets me have complete control when I want it. The only thing it lacks to be a perfect deputy is a phony clutch pedal that would let my left leg feel useful. But my doctor would object to that.

I could not use Sport Plus mode at the only track day I've been to with this car because it would have insisted on using the upper rev range, which I ruled out until break-in was complete. But optimum shifting on a track is easy for a computer. Students with PDK will miss out on a whole bunch of time I spend teaching MT students when to shift, but this computer doesn't need my coaching. It has been programmed with the shift strategy of some very good racing drivers. I fully expect that mode to be satisfactory.

On previewing this note, I see that I omitted all mention of double-clutching and other sorts of rev-matching exercises. After all these years, I do them automatically [couldn't resist] so I don't have any residual pride in the actions themselves. I just enjoy the feel of a perfect shift. The PDK gives me that every time, and is even programmed to sound good while doing it.

I guess the simple answer would have been no. I'm not missing my clutch pedal. And I didn't have to buy a Mercedes. Thank you, PDK.

Gary
And such a medical condition should be the only reason to select a flappy pedal PDG over the three pedal 7/mt in a sports car such as a 911-991. Especially one that will be used as a DD.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
And such a medical condition should be the only reason to select a flappy pedal PDG over the three pedal 7/mt in a sports car such as a 911-991. Especially one that will be used as a DD.
I could not agree less. I enjoyed manual shifting for 40 years of Porsche pushing in various mid engine and rear engine models- even the ones that demanded skill to overcome circuitous shift linkages and made me feel somehow a Porsche purist. Water cooed Porsches of course are not so pure- they have decent linkage!

Now, I enjoy the relief from tedious clutching and shifting during the frequent stop and go traffic commuting here in the DC area. The ~100 millisecond snap shifts and rev matching of the PDK (by its algorithms or by either mechanism for manual control) in the appropriate mode for the driving circumstance, gives me more performance and satisfaction than left footing it.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 to that, chuck. My first PDK drive was a late 2011 997.2 C4S. Prior to that I always drove manual, and enjoyed it, and took great pride in doing it well. But I know when I've been obsoleted, knew it immediately, and honestly never felt even the slightest pang of regret because, as you said with the algorithms, etc, its been done so well. My very next drive, back to back with the PDK C4S was a MT Carrera GTS. If ever there was a time to expect that pang of regret, nostalgia, whatever, surely this would be it. But no. And that 7 MT is really great, and I really wanted to enjoy driving such an awesome setup, but of course there is no comparison. And this is even before factoring in the speed, the convenience, and yes the back pain relief. Mine isn't as bad as Gary's, wasn't bothering at all the day I did these drives, and my overall impression was EXACTLY what Gary said, "I just enjoy the feel of a perfect shift. The PDK gives me that every time, and is even programmed to sound good while doing it." Amen.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I could not agree less. [...] Now, I enjoy the relief from tedious clutching and shifting during the frequent stop and go traffic commuting here in the DC area. The ~100 millisecond snap shifts and rev matching of the PDK (by its algorithms or by either mechanism for manual control) in the appropriate mode for the driving circumstance, gives me more performance and satisfaction than left footing it.
Originally Posted by chuck911
+1 to that, chuck. My first PDK drive was a late 2011 997.2 C4S. Prior to that I always drove manual, and enjoyed it, and took great pride in doing it well. But I know when I've been obsoleted, knew it immediately, and honestly never felt even the slightest pang of regret because, as you said with the algorithms, etc, its been done so well.[...]
Maybe I should have said a couple of other things:
  • Besides being a past racing hobbyist, and used to the non-synchromesh boxes in Formula Fords, I grew up as the California freeway system did, starting with a 1949 Ford coupe. I never saw why it bothered people to drive heavy traffic with a manual transmission. I considered automatics to be a pain in such traffic because they couldn't always make up their minds what ratio to engage. But my left foot always knew. I was the consummate MT driver, and resisted changing, despite the praise ADias and MikeInCA kept giving the PDK in the 997 forum.
  • Second, I am making a pilgrimage. A memorial run up California's Coast Highway; a trip that Cindy and I did back around 1967 with our MG Midget. Yesterday, I did the wonderful stretch from San Simeon to Carmel: a hundred miles of scenic twisty bits, one after the other. If ever I would miss a manual, it would be on that stretch, but I did not. In fact, the PDK added to the entertainment value with those cheerful blips every time it grabbed a new gear. (I kept the top down most of the run of course. And I let the PSE out to play whenever I was sharing the road with motorcycles.)
Six months ago, I would have agreed with ParkerFE. Now I agree with both Chucks and with ADias and MikeInCA and almost everybody else who has driven a PDK long enough to learn how to use it. People with a reaction that it's "only an automatic" need to recall how long it took them too learn to use a clutch properly. PDK won't take more than a few days, and the result will be more rewarding.

Besides, with PDK you can trust someone else to drive your car short distances. If your stomach can handle the stress...

Gary
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Maybe I should have said a couple of other things:
[LIST][*].......

Besides, with PDK you can trust someone else to drive your car short distances. If your stomach can handle the stress...

Gary
Now you tell me!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Now you tell me!
We could have arranged it. I had plenty of Maalox that day.

Gary

Quick Reply: Break-In Experience