Sponsored by:

Getting a White-over-red 911S Coupe in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheels4me
Yesterday I got up the courage and pulled the trigger on a to-be-built 911S coupe. It is due around the end of February to the beginning of March. The build:

White with painted air intake grills and model delete
Carrera Red natural full leather, with matching steering column and fusebox covers
20" Carrera S wheels with colored Porsche crested caps
Metal sunroof
PDK
Sport Chrono package
Sport exhaust
Premium Package Plus
14-way power sport seats
Sport steering wheel
Black instrument dials
White Sport Chrono clock dial
Burmester audio
Voice control

I was for a while strongly considering Guards red with Luxor beige interior, but was frequently lured by pics on the forum of 911s in white, which somehow popped for me. Also I did experience glare with the Luxor dash when facing into the sun's direction. I also drove three different cars to make exhaust (yes), Power steering plus (no) and sport suspension (no) decisions. The inexpensive Sport Suspension option intrigued me from a canyon-carving point of view, but on uneven roads and expansion joints, it was a tad hard for me. Also, leaving the dealer's lot diagonally and carefully resulted in front scrape nonetheless. Oops!

This order was a very big deal to me, satisfying a near life-long yen for a 911 while simultaneously terrifying me over the high cost. I got a fair deal that helped. But yesterday was one of the most exciting days of my life. Somehow, I think the excitement will be trumped when I take delivery.

Thanks to all of you forum members for the valuable information that helped me select the car and options and then decide to take the deep plunge.
The pics above have the red access panels in the floor wells- a nice touch.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Such a beautiful car! You're right, the black dials look great with the red interior. I'm thinking about black interior so maybe the white dials for contrast would look better?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:59 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I kinda went nuts with all the options ($29K) I truly wanted, making this an expensive car.[...]I'm lucky to be able to do that now that my house is paid off and my kid's college tuition is done. That obviously isn't true for everybody, and wasn't true for me just a year ago.

Good luck with the decision making.
I was pretty much in the same situation. Money I was conserving for more serious obligations suddenly had no other purpose, so I put it into this car.

As for options vs resale value, I can't get myself interested really. The practical truth is options need to be things we want, not thought of as checkmarks for some hypothetical future buyer. Only the major elements affect market price at resale: chassis being S or base, PDK vs MT, Cab vs Coupe. That's about it. But cars in this class are personal pleasures, not investments. Pick the options that will increase your joy, making the same price v pleasure trade-off you do in other discretionary purchases.

The nice thing about the Porsche model line is the build-out. We get to choose from a set of very competent base packages, four of the handful of best cars in the world, and we have options that focus that car in multiple directions of taste and activities. You can start and stop with a base 981 Boxster or Cayman and have a great personal car. Or you can ramp up to the Carrera and rival the daily dose of adrenalin available from any road-legal device.

We can configure a blatant track car or a long-distance tourer and everything between. And none of the pre-configured options seem futile or like marketing fluff. All of them, from S to PASM and spacers, are worth their salt if they move the car in a direction you desire. Furthermore, I may not personally want a leather-covered carbon-fiber trash-compactor in place of the right-rear seat cushion, but I get a certain amount of brand-satisfaction from knowing that if I did want one, all I'd have to do is ask.

Gary
Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 PM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars are very personalizable and should be built as such, not for someone else. Well put as always, Gary.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, beautiful combo! Just picked mine up last Saturday and totally LOVE IT!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Duly noted and agree about considering them. I had played with the white gauges, but ended up liking all-black more with the red interior. The white clock makes it look more like a timepiece and matches the white of the outside and distinguishes it from the gauges without clashing.

The one thing that I found a bit inconsistent with the white is the multi-function lcd "gauge" to the right of the tach. To me it looks more of a set with all-black. The center tach's gray is too low-contrast for my taste, and as such, I ordered it black. See configurator pic below...
I understand your preference for the black gauges, but I don't understand why you would opt for a white sprot chrono face. When I see the two different gauge colors on the config pics you posted show, to me, it looks like someone made a mistake on the order. FWIW, I think it woiuld look better if all of the gauges are the same color.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
I understand your preference for the black gauges, but I don't understand why you would opt for a white sprot chrono face. When I see the two different gauge colors on the config pics you posted show, to me, it looks like someone made a mistake on the order. FWIW, I think it woiuld look better if all of the gauges are the same color.
A fair opinion, to be sure. Hey, I wasn't wild about the silver tach's difference in color to the surrounding gauges, so I made it the same! To me the Sport chrono is a clock/watch that looks more like one when it is white-faced. Not many stopwatches that I have seen have black faces. I don't think of it as one of the gauges in the instrument cluster because it is not located there. That may also be why the gauge and sport chrono colors are offered separately. It was also suggested by two different salesmen early in the process, and by gum, I liked it when I saw it in the 3D configurator. Isn't it great how we can make 'em the way we want 'em?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

A fair opinion, to be sure. Hey, I wasn't wild about the silver tach's difference in color to the surrounding gauges, so I made it the same! To me the Sport chrono is a clock/watch that looks more like one when it is white-faced. Not many stopwatches that I have seen have black faces. I don't think of it as one of the gauges in the instrument cluster because it is not located there. That may also be why the gauge and sport chrono colors are offered separately. It was also suggested by two different salesmen early in the process, and by gum, I liked it when I saw it in the 3D configurator. Isn't it great how we can make 'em the way we want 'em?
Yes, being able to order a Porsche the way you want is a great thing!

The tough part will be the wait until your car is delivered.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Hippocampus
Intermediate

Did you consider deviating the carpets to black?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hippocampus
Did you consider deviating the carpets to black?
Yes, I did, and it might look good, but I couldn't find a way to do it on the configurator to preview its look. And seeing it is important, as I have seen at least one 911 with deviating color mixing that looked very odd indeed, a Frankenbuild. The dealers said it was possible for another upcharge, but didn't really recommend (or condemn) it visually. But it is a good thought and make less of the red everywhere that initially put me off. Having the Sport steering wheel with its aluminum-looking "spokes" helped a lot, as the stock wheel with its much larger expanse of red was a bit much. My current BMW has red seats and door panels set into black and looks great, but I have come to accept and like the Porsche-specific red everywhere fine. I have seen examples on dealer lots and I dig it; it sure gives the car personality. But good point!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by gota911
The tough part will be the wait until your car is delivered.
It is tough but life-affirming, akin to a pregnancy. Like an expectant father, I will use the time to prepare my mind, the facilities, and the bank account for what is coming.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I did, and it might look good, but I couldn't find a way to do it on the configurator to preview its look. And seeing it is important, as I have seen at least one 911 with deviating color mixing that looked very odd indeed, a Frankenbuild. The dealers said it was possible for another upcharge, but didn't really recommend (or condemn) it visually. But it is a good thought and make less of the red everywhere that initially put me off. Having the Sport steering wheel with its aluminum-looking "spokes" helped a lot, as the stock wheel with its much larger expanse of red was a bit much. My current BMW has red seats and door panels set into black and looks great, but I have come to accept and like the Porsche-specific red everywhere fine. I have seen examples on dealer lots and I dig it; it sure gives the car personality. But good point!
just get black floor mats instead ..
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

awesome build. it's gonna be pretty. i personally would go for deviating black carpet. it would break the red nicely & easier to maintain than red carpet. my current 997 is Carrera Red interior with deviating black carpet. i love the combo enough to carry me to the 991, which would arrive this week. same interior combo. i'd send u some pics if u care to see it.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

btw, i spotted this beauty at local dealer. it was an instant love at first sight.
Attached Images   
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Originally Posted by 20C4S
awesome build. it's gonna be pretty. i personally would go for deviating black carpet. it would break the red nicely & easier to maintain than red carpet. my current 997 is Carrera Red interior with deviating black carpet. i love the combo enough to carry me to the 991, which would arrive this week. same interior combo. i'd send u some pics if u care to see it.
Yes, thanks 20C4S, please do PM or even better, post here. It would be interesting to see how it looks in terms of transition from black carpet below to red in the middle (door panels and dash) to black again on the A-pillars and roof liner. I also never heard what the cost is. The dealer I finally ordered it through thought that the red carpet was preferable, and I pushed it no further. Thanks for posting the 991 dealer-car pics; it does give the general idea! At which SoCal (I assume) dealer is that one?

Quick Reply: Getting a White-over-red 911S Coupe in SoCal