Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you can also remove that key - check the user manual. I hooked it up to my laptop though.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:55 PM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I will do the laptop, initially. I'm just thinking down the road if I want to change a setting, I'd prefer not to have to access the cable again. No big deal, just curious if the dummy key has to be removed to do the programming. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-24-2016, 10:42 AM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

I just went to install my SmartTop on my '13 C4S cab. The plug which goes into the control module is different on the car than the SmartTop. The SmartTop has the locking lever and the car harness does not. Therefore, the plug will not go into the control module on the car. Has anyone else seen this?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo
I just went to install my SmartTop on my '13 C4S cab. The plug which goes into the control module is different on the car than the SmartTop. The SmartTop has the locking lever and the car harness does not. Therefore, the plug will not go into the control module on the car. Has anyone else seen this?
Pictures?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 PM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Thanks to mod4cars for helping out. Looks like the previous owner broke the harness plug and it is missing the latch. It took some serious finagling but I finally inserted the plug. Seems to be working fine. Here's the pic of the car's harness and the SmartTop harness.
Attached Images   
Old 04-25-2016, 12:42 AM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo
Thanks to mod4cars for helping out. Looks like the previous owner broke the harness plug and it is missing the latch.
Glad you got confirmation on the broken latch - you will love the mod!
Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by teambell
Glad you got confirmation on the broken latch - you will love the mod!
+1
Old 04-25-2016, 11:06 PM
2zero
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the mods4cars and I have started having an issue where the rear passenger window doesn't want to come closed. It retracts about half way up like it hit something. Then goes fully closed!
I truly believe its caused by the module!!

Anyone else having these problem???
Old 04-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2zero
I have the mods4cars and I have started having an issue where the rear passenger window doesn't want to come closed. It retracts about half way up like it hit something. Then goes fully closed!
I truly believe its caused by the module!!

Anyone else having these problem???
I would be surprised if it was; its more likely that either the window needs to reset its 'closed' position (see elsewhere for instructions on how to do this) or
there is something trapped in the mechanism that is 'fooling' the window to
activate its 'anti-pinch' mechanism.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:28 PM
JFL1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very happy

Hi all,

Just a note to say thanks for all the above info in this thread. I installed the smartTOP on my 991.1 convertible 3 weeks ago and particularly the advice on using the iPhone flashlight/camera and the pliers for the carpet proved useful. Also the bits about having to operate the latch on the plug in order to fully plug it in/remove it.

The mod has proven well worthwhile even for a UK car, the install was easy and it works completely as described, very customisable. I have had zero problems with it so far. If you have any questions about what it can do before buying you can read the programming manual (and installation instructions of course) online on the USA webshop of mods4cars.

For me, having a UK car the top could already be opened/closed with the remote but the one-touch feature alone makes this mod worthwhile. Three short presses of the remote button and I can open the top while walking towards the car, then unlock the boot and put my bag in there and enter the car and by the time I'm sat down the top is down and wind deflector up with all windows in my chosen position. Whereas before you'd have to hold down the remote button 'til it finished opening of course then do the deflector manually once inside. Then when driving the one-touch open/close from centre console button is miles better than before, you can concentrate on driving with both hands on the wheel while it operates (keeping your speed below 31mph 'til it's done of course). As I don't have rear passengers often/ever, I set the wind deflector to operate each time the top does so I don't even have to think about or ever touch that button now. Except for the odd occasion when I might just want it down to improve rear visibility or just keep things a bit more gusty/natural for fun, but to be honest this is rare.

When leaving the car you can just click the close top button on the centre console once, and grab your things and exit the car -- mind your head of course -- (and get your bag out of the trunk if you need to) and by the time you're out of the car the top is soon up and you can lock it. Don't lock too early though as the interior alarm sensors can detect the top's movement if it's still closing and set the alarm off. If there were a way to set it to automatically lock the car after closing the top if the key has been removed from the ignition that's really the only improvement I can think of, it would mean you could just walk away from the car without having to wait in range to lock it. But it's only a few seconds anyway.

So all in all a very worthwhile upgrade from my perspective for anyone who might be on the fence.

Last edited by JFL1; 08-13-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:14 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks JFL. How long did the install take? And did you do any others mods?
Old 08-13-2016, 02:38 PM
JFL1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took about 30 minutes total I'd say. That's after updating and configuring the unit on a laptop first which takes about 5 minutes. Pretty straightforward.

The only other things I've done so far are paint protection film for the whole car and a Proclip iPhone mount/holder solution, both of which I would recommend.

The proclip solution in particular I find is pretty neat, you can use their active holder that comes with a black lightning-usb cable affixed (great if you have a black interior) and the cable tucks neatly under the trim on the side of the centre console so you can run it discreetly to the glove box USB port. As well the whole solution is easily removable and temporary in that sense because I find it's pretty stable without having removed the adhesive strip covers on the proclip mount, so it basically just clips securely in place. And to reduce branding the sticker on the side of the mount comes off easily. PM me for more details/photos or maybe I can post in a more relevant thread

What else - I've just got an ultimatecupholders.com - yet to install, and ordered a sunglasses holster from T-design9.com as well.

Hoping to change my Carrera classic alloys to the Carrera S ones, and possibly in future may go for body-coloured (agate grey) rear reflectors while swapping the red tail lights for the official clear ones. Wouldn't make much sense to me to get the clears with the red reflectors still in place below.

Then the ultimate would be to swap my brushed aluminium interior trim for the nice carbon fibre one but at around £2k from Porsche that just seems too expensive!

in terms of performance I'm not really looking to upgrade the car as I think I might just wait to see if I can afford a GT3 someday... or maybe a GTS and then I can still have a cabrio!

Think I might like to try a GTS sometime to see how much difference is noticeable from my 2S. Nice car by the way.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And I can rep to the fact that it is just as easy to uninstall. Just took mine out before turning my 991 cab in. Unfortunately it can't be used on my new Spyder as I loved it.

Only had it for a year - will be putting the unit up for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:59 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
And I can rep to the fact that it is just as easy to uninstall. Just took mine out before turning my 991 cab in. Unfortunately it can't be used on my new Spyder as I loved it. Only had it for a year - will be putting the unit up for sale if anyone is interested.
Dalema, PM sent.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:32 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Howdy guys,

got the SmartTOP module today from Mods4Cars Took one week for shipping to my door from the day of order.

Here are the contents, pretty simple:

The actual control module, a USB cable for firmware updates and programming, and the harness used to plug into the car's electronics wiring. Also included is a velcro sticky that you can stick onto the module and a stable surface of the car (I used the metal cover below the cable connect point). I did this last after everything was attached and wired in and after I checked for correct operation.

First thing to do is load up the M4Connect app on your mac or pc - they have both versions. Connect the module to your USB port, and the module will scan itself and check the Mods4Cars server for any firmware updates. This app will also let you program your module to your specific tastes in window position and general behavior of your cabriolet top, etc.

With the module programmed and firmware checked, I collected the install kit, a phillips-head screwdriver, and a pair of needle-nose pliers and went to the car. To access the install area, you put the top into "service" position which is half-way open.

Next you carefully pull up on the two rectangular areas above the seats to access the screws that hold the rear cover in position. Removing these is simple and straightforward and I printed out the online install manual to refer to along the way.

Next after a few trim pieces are removed (just carefully pull up on them) as per the manual, you come to pulling back the carpet which is hooked in three places - the ends, and the middle. The middle will pull off easily enough, but at the ends I needed the needle-nose pliers to grab the carpet and pull so there was enough slack to un-hook the ends. It took a bit of fiddling, but came off easily enough.

Now I rolled the carpet back and tucked it so it would stay, exposing the electronics harness area of the cabriolet top. This area is behind the rear seats and faces to the rear, and is difficult to see without a mirror or looking through the rear window - (difficult to do if you are working from the back seat) - so what I did is use the front camera on my iPhone to see what I was doing. I propped up the iPhone against the rolled back carpet, and it worked like a charm - my own "rear" view camera Here is what the area looks like from that camera angle pointing forward. Again this is a very tight space so I'm actually kneeling on the back seats behind this wall of wiring and reaching back here.

In the above photo, the wiring connector on the left is what I will unplug, plug into the SmartTop harness, and then plug the SmartTop harness into that left socket. The SmartTop harness uses the exact same harness connection and high-quality plug and it fits perfectly.

After this, I brought the module back and plugged it into the SmartTop harness also, and looked around for a suitable place to attach it. I found the metal plate right below the harness connections worked fine for me and did not obstruct anything. I peeled off the velcro and attached the module.

It it both firmly attached yet able to easily be removed if need be. After checking the diagnostic light on the module with the ignition switched on - (it should blink, a steady green is a possible fault) - I switched off the ignition, checked everything once more, and rolled the carpet back up and reversed the install procedure. It reassembled perfectly with nothing sticking out anywhere or out of place. It fits perfectly in the space back there.

It is optional to do, but I left the USB cable plugged into the unit for an easy update if need be, so I wouldn't have to unhook the carpet and roll it back again. I have extra sticky sided velcro tape, so I just laid the cable under the carpet and attached the end of the cord with sticky two-sided velcro under the plastic trim that screws down. Easy and secure. I'll just need to unscrew and remove that one long trim piece to update the firmware. Since it is a brand-new module for this car, I kind of expect some type of update in the next few months, but who knows really..maybe I'll just end up removing the cord next summer without needing to use it.

Anyway, there we go. I can now open and close the top remotely, and with one-touch operation inside the car, as well as a few other improvements you can look up on the operation manual if interested. Module Operation and Programming Porsche 991 Cabriolet

And now.. on to winter Porsche cabriolet driving adventures!
I want to add a big thanks to the OP here. The directions here are flawless. I installed the Smarttop module today. If you haven't gotten this yet you definitely need to. It is the best Mod I have done to date.

All Cab owners should have this. Follow these instructions they are spot on.

Quick Reply: 991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install