Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Carrera S Finally Arrives

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer wants me to do the half-bra. You think that makes sense?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend full bra. Personally, I hate seeing the line halfway up the hood.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The dealer says people are buying ones that goes up to the hood and around the lights. In other words, just the very front. They say that by doing that it save the front from chipping and you can't see the film. The hood itself goes unprotected.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I have the front half of the car protected-all painted surfaces from the spoiler up to about a third the way on the hood and fenders plus the mirrors and headlight covers. I have seen cars with the entire hood and fenders covered- done well it is invisible. Either way be sure to get part of the hood protected at least. You will avoid a lot of annoying road rash/stone ships.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would recommend going with a full clear bra that includes the front hood, fenders and mirrors. I like the Lamin-X Protective Film, it's 17 mil thick and includes a 5 year warranty against fading or yellowing. There shouldn't be any damage upon removal.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rlhyde, VERY good looking S. I keep coming back to this thread just to admire the car; the combo of the white with the glass roof and the Luxor Beige interior is stunning. I am considering the Guards red with the full leather beige interior, but the white looks very good on this model. The appearance of your car could change my mind about the exterior. One question: I have seen a handful of comments about windshield reflection from the light-colored dashboard. Do you find this to be true? I am hoping that it isn't a big deal and would value your opinion.

Also in SoCal, first post...

Thanks
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in the UK, you can now spec bi colour black/beige interior .. must be available in the US soon
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Unfortunately, not yet. But on Saturday I saw one of the bizarre full-leather ones with the black dash top and door-panel tops with Luxor most everything else that had the plastic bits (vents, etc.) on the dashboard still in beige. Not good! I did just use the UK configuring tool (thanks!) to try the black/beige combo, which looks a whole lot better than the Franken-configuration I saw Saturday. But looks-wise for now I prefer the all-beige such as rlhyde's car, provided windshield glare is not a daily problem. I have an appointment to drive a Luxor-equipped S late this afternoon, but the sun will be low then and might not be an issue. Probably the best thing to do is just sit inside the parked car midday and check it out myself, but I still welcome rlhyde's user experience.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Now THAT is one gorgeous car ! Has all the RIGHT options as well................

I have a white 997 C4S in White with the two tone beige/black interior and like the contrast in interior which also has black headliner. If I were to order a new one, I would also go with deviated black carpeting.

How do you like the glass sunroof? Any downside such as heat build-up ? Looks sharp !
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 AM
dochusar
Advanced

Originally Posted by rlhyde
Got my 911 Carrera S yesterday. Attached is a photograph. Also attached is a copy of the window sticker for those interested in the details.

Ordered: July 27, 2012
Arrived at Los Angeles Port of Entry: November 9, 2012
From Los Angeles Port of Entry to dealer in California: 1 week

A question for 991 owners. Like all 991's this came with Stop-Start Technology. For those not familiar with this technology, the car's engine stops when the car comes to a stop at intersections and alike. That is, when the car comes to a complete stop and your foot is on the brake, the engine will often stop and then restart when you take your foot off the brake. (Except under unusual circumstances.)

I have found this to be disconcerting. I often wonder if the car is going to restart when the traffic light goes green. It always has restarted, but "what about next time?" I want to like it, but for some reason it makes me uncomfortable. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Do you think you can be trusted? What about as the car/battery gets older?

The good news is it has a switch on the console that allows the driver to turn Stop-Start Technology off, which, of course, defeats it's purpose. Furthermore, further good news, it remembers the setting when you turn the car off and get back in the car. So I could turn it off and leave it off. However, as I said I want to like it.
What a beautiful car and build. Drive it in good health. I might be slightly biased, but I love the color combination. The black leather interior is not too hot in summer and provides excellent contrast. Personally, I have not used the sailing feature and shut off the auto start/stop. You will enjoy your 991 as much as I do. The car is just wonderful and our builds are quite similar. You have got all of the "must" options.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Congrats on your fantastic car and welcome to the forum. If my experience is any guide, these will be the most expensive friends you'll ever have. Great ride though....Chris
Here's to that! Welcome to an expensive party, rlhyde. Beautiful car,

Gary
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Never used the start stop nor think i will. For the amount of gas that it would save its hard on the car or at least thats my opinion.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM
GuyR
Racer

Great photos. I don't usually like wood in 911s, but that steering wheel looks great.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Mark GT3
Instructor

Great looking car! I have a C4S coming with a very similar build but in white/black, although no sunroof. Seeing these photos reinforces my decision to go with the white exterior.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the glass sunroof?

Do you have photos from inside the car looking up, including when the sunshade is closed?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera S Finally Arrives