Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding to the 991 to my fellow drivers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 PM
han405
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions regarding to the 991 to my fellow drivers.

Dear all,

I recently purchased a 991 C2S, with all the performance options except the sport exhaust and the PCCB.

While doing some break-in driving, I noticed a few issues.. I don't know if they are considered normal "characteristic " of the car or the car has a discrepant condition..

1. When I try to make U turns, with steering wheel turned to the ends, the car moved with a very jerky motion.. (it reminds me of a 4X4 jeep with differential problems)
2. After driving, I would smell strong rubber odor from the rear wheels.

Please advise..
Oh, the car only has approx. 300 miles in the odometer. It was ordered new, with 17 miles on the odometer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by han405
1. When I try to make U turns, with steering wheel turned to the ends, the car moved with a very jerky motion.. (it reminds me of a 4X4 jeep with differential problems)
This is characteristic of every exotic I've driven that doesn't limit wheel movement and accept a large turning radius. It has to do with the suspension geometry of cars with such great handling at driving speeds, but I've never looked into it further than that. What happens is one or both of the front wheels scuff and jump sideways a few inches repeatedly. Not a big deal, but definitely annoying and I try to avoid turning my steering to the locks.

The important point is nothing is wrong with your car.

2. After driving, I would smell strong rubber odor from the rear wheels.

Please advise..
Oh, the car only has approx. 300 miles in the odometer. It was ordered new, with 17 miles on the odometer.
Mine too! Just picked it up Monday. Has 317 miles I think. Strong rubber odor... Well, we can induce that easily with full throttle starts on any Porsche, but I doubt you're doing that with only 300 miles on the clock. Are the tires broken in properly yet? Sometimes the mold compound on the outside of new tires can produce a smell like that.

Other than that, I'm stumped. Mine certainly isn't doing that, though I admit to breaking in the tires in the first 200 miles pretty thoroughly.

Gary
Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 AM
han405
Track Day

Thanks for your insights, Gary.
I've been driving it very mildly. smooth acceleration, never exceeding 4000 rpm, etc.

The car does jump side ways when turning the steering wheel to the locks.. This is the first 911 I've driven, perhaps I'll have to get used to that.. I've been driving the E46 M3 and the E92 M3 for a few years now, both cars turn very smoothly in tight corners..

The rubber smell is more of brunt rubber odor. it just reminds me of when my old jeep's differential got stuck and would not drop from 4WD to 2WD, the wheels would not turn at the same speed when cornering, so tires would skid and chafe on the ground, which produces brunt tire smell. (sorry for the jeep comparison, it is what I can relate the most..)

Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 AM
han405
Track Day

Some photos of the car..
Attached Images     
Old 11-16-2012, 01:06 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your insights, Gary.
I've been driving it very mildly. smooth acceleration, never exceeding 4000 rpm, etc.

The car does jump side ways when turning the steering wheel to the locks.. This is the first 911 I've driven, perhaps I'll have to get used to that.. I've been driving the E46 M3 and the E92 M3 for a few years now, both cars turn very smoothly in tight corners..

The rubber smell is more of brunt rubber odor. it just reminds me of when my old jeep's differential got stuck and would not drop from 4WD to 2WD, the wheels would not turn at the same speed when cornering, so tires would skid and chafe on the ground, which produces brunt tire smell. (sorry for the jeep comparison, it is what I can relate the most..)

Thanks again.
If the smell continues, that comparison might not be wrong. We have a limited-slip differential in Carreras and if it locks up it would cause that same effect. As for the turning effects, M3's don't count as exotics. Nice cars, but they have sedan suspension. The effect is caused by the special suspension used in low sports cars like Ferraris, NSX, and Carreras.

I really think your tire smell is just new-tire smell, but it certainly should not continue beyond 600 miles or so. Bug your dealer if it does. Damn, that's a beautiful car. Here's mine.

Gary
Old 11-16-2012, 01:59 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

The rubber smell is typical of all 911s. Rear tires are very close to very hot parts in the rear. Besides it may not be rubber as it could be, and probably is, hot cosmoline - the brownish coat Zuffenhausen sprays on the lower parts of the engine and transmission to protect it from salt corrosion during the Atlantic passage. Some cars have more than others, I guess it depends on the time of the year the car is shipped and/or ship carrier.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
The rubber smell is typical of all 911s. Rear tires are very close to very hot parts in the rear. Besides it may not be rubber as it could be, and probably is, hot cosmoline - the brownish coat Zuffenhausen sprays on the lower parts of the engine and transmission to protect it from salt corrosion during the Atlantic passage. Some cars have more than others, I guess it depends on the time of the year the car is shipped and/or ship carrier.
There you go. Cosmoline. I'll buy that.

Gary
Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 AM
SiNi
Instructor

Thanks for this. I get the same smell on my new car and didn't think it could be just the tyres after a sedate commute to work on a cold English morning!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Cosmoline was on the engine/trans of my 996, but not on my May built 991S. I just assumed they don't bother anymore. Comoline was not applied for the 2 week closed ship Atlantic crossing but the 15-20 years the car is in service.

I did get that new burnt smell coming from the rear, but was quite different than burnt tire smell. Smells good to me. Although when the 996 was new in May of '98, it smelled much better than the new burnt smell of the 991S.

But the interior smell of the 991S is . . . take a breath . . . oh so nice!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 AM
dochusar
Advanced

I have owned several Porsches in my life, but I vividly remember my last two, both my 2009 997.2 Carrera and my current 2013 991 Carrera S both have the steering issue at full turns and the rubber smell. Nothing is wrong with your car. Thought I had a problem with my 2009, dealer checked and was the cosmoline. Just got used to it.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 AM
packwest
Advanced

You're also talking about a read engine, rear wheel drive, so maybe that has something to do with the jittery feel at turn in?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts

jerky response on hard turn is normal as is the burning smell. the smell will dissipate however, the jerky response will not unless you put 19 inch wheels on the car. My 20 inch wheels were switched over to 19 inch winter wheels and tires and presto, the jerky response (that i only noticed in my driveway) is gone.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 PM
han405
Track Day

thanks guys for the responses.

I was actually thinking of installing winter tires on the car.. well, it seems a set of 19" should come then..

Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

My car with 19's feels the same way. Steering geometry must be off slightly at full lock (as on many cars).
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Guys! It's the super wide tires and steering angle....stop worrying! Doesn't happen at higher speed, let's be thankful...there for a good reason...Thank goodness we don't drive these cars under 10 mph, most of the time

Quick Reply: Questions regarding to the 991 to my fellow drivers.