991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM/Nav programming - tips and tricks

Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 PM
dochusar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nav in the 991 is much better than in the prior generation of 911 (997.2). PCM 3 is magnificent, and one of the remaining OEM touch screen. Also Porsche has not disabled entering addresses while driving as other manufacturers.

The Navigation system was updated to PCM 3 for the Panamera launch in the Summer of 2009. I have owned the Panamera and the Cayenne with PCM 3 so that the learning curve for me was very fast. I could do everything without reading the manual.

The instrument cluster is the same from the Panamera and Cayenne with the major difference was in the gas gauge being referred (right - full for the 911, Left full for the Cayenne and Panamera). I am searching for any new goodies hidden for the Panamera. Major update of PCM was in MY 2012.

Satellite reception is more variable due to the location of the antenna receiver. Didn't have it on my last 911, now do, not a real biggie.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

well, my problems with the NAV - if you make a mistake, you pretty much have to start over, you can't save until you start navigation, the street name cannot be entered if you choose the wrong city (some zip codes cover multiple cities) and that is a real problem when the unit doesn't call the cities (like west this or east that) the same thing as you do, it is very picky about street names (W versus West, I havn't tried to enter a name with a tilde in it), it doesn't use the available FM traffic information. To its credit, it does seem to avoid routing you on/off/on freeways via off ramps like the Garmin does, but that's small comfort.

RE the radio - I get excellent reception, much better than my 993, but the satellite radio which was supposedly preprogrammed to work for three months only gets channel 1, it wants a code or something, but I can't imagine any reason for using it so I haven't bothered. I do find its lack of a way to label stations with call signs annoying but not fatal, but it is such a waste of space, that huge panel to display 6 push buttons - as I said, I think I'd rather just have some old style ***** and stuff instead of that huge display - I haven't found much it is good for, all the good stuff fits nicely in the right hand little display in front of the driver. maybe as a fold out display when you need to set diagnostic options or somehting, but really - a huge touch panel? maybe I'm just showing my age - after all, I bought the car with the manual trans because I hated the automatic with the paddle shift too.

If that big useless display gave me an option to turn off the hill holder, I guess I'd conceed that it is useful.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:36 PM
deturney
Instructor

When I bought my 1st Porsche the Sat radio did not work and it only got the Sirius info channel. Channel 1 I think? I found my Sat radio code and called Sirius Customer Service and it was working in about 5-10 minutes after they put the code in their system and got it provisioned. I believe your free 3 months won't start until this occurs, so you should be fine. I think the code was in a brochure and there is also a way to access it in your PCM but I don't remember how. You can also go back to your dealer and have them do it for you, if you continue to have problems.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deturney
When I bought my 1st Porsche the Sat radio did not work and it only got the Sirius info channel. Channel 1 I think? I found my Sat radio code and called Sirius Customer Service and it was working in about 5-10 minutes after they put the code in their system and got it provisioned. I believe your free 3 months won't start until this occurs, so you should be fine. I think the code was in a brochure and there is also a way to access it in your PCM but I don't remember how. You can also go back to your dealer and have them do it for you, if you continue to have problems.
thanks, I'd guessed as much (about giving them teh code) - it would be great if I could wait a few years until something bad happens to the radio station I like and then call in to get 3 months free.... it would also be great if they offered the traffic service without the music and sports.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
.. it would also be great if they offered the traffic service without the music and sports.
If it's like the SiriusXM subscription on my Toureg, you can order traffic separately for about 3 or 4 bucks a month. This was printed on the bottom of the renewal notice for my 991....

"Renew the XM Premier package, NavTraffic and NavWeather separately by calling 1-877-218-2746"

Spyder
Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Once I build a route (a destination with stopovers), can I save the route somehow?
Old 01-20-2015, 12:44 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
.... it would also be great if they offered the traffic service without the music and sports.
When you activate it, you will get real time traffic with your navigation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM/Nav programming - tips and tricks