Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you guys are tracking your 991s ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Max, I raced motorcycles for a few years so I've done countless track days with a lot of different organizers. The organizer is everything. Some are high quality, safe and organized, others the exact opposite at the very same track. Don't let a bad organizer keep you from a potentially magical experience. Nothing better than a good track day. Cheers!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I took my car to the track and had a horrible experience. The car itself was even better than I expected, but I was extremely disappointed with how the whole event was run and the (almost non existent) instruction either on or off the track. After that I don't know if I'll ever take my own car on the track again.

If you're planning on keeping the car for many years is taking it on the track once a year going to beat it up? Also will it wear out your brake and tires? How much should you expect to spend each time you go to the track?
take this with a grains worth of worth, no more

tracking a porsche because you own one is NOT for everyone, but I suggest most people attend a few DE to be sure, they are awesome fun.

The idea IS to go thru brakes and tires, thats the fun, the g forces the speed the improving lap times and the beers/food afterwards with folks you just ran with, all fun. Its not a cheap sport, especially in a porsche. I suspect a 4 banger miata costs less to track than my 400+ hp p car. your tire and brake choice will determine wear levels along with your level of driving aggressiveness.

I run trackday wheels and pads. I have a setup that I leave pristine for when I wanna DD the car, but its not my primary daily, so this is less of an issue when you make it more toy less transport. they make GREAT toys to play with!

With proper care, I'm not doing anything to the car it was not already designed for. We own three P cars and all see track time, all are keeper cars. I'm **** to a high degree about car care and do most my work myself in the way of my basic prep and day to day maint.

some tips/thoughts:

1-DO join your local PCA,(I did ) or other track focused local car club, be it BMW chapter, NASA, SCCA etc and attend a few DE days to warm up. DO go get together when you arent driving event bound, the camaraderie is a bonus. Go often. you will learn thru osmosis. They have instructors, and lots of novices, so you wont feel like the new guy, ever. I feel attending as many non open track events, meets and such may better prepare you for the open track days. You may find SCCA or auto-x more your speed to get started than using all 6 gears on day 1.

2-DO align yourself with your local P car shop or a reputed one on line as well. Forum schmorum, go to he who preps other peoples cars for money for track if youre not versed with the needed car prep stuff and arent ready to play technician yourself, better to make sure its done right than guess, or risk your own stuff against your own learning curve, only you know what youre confident with doing. My tech,at my local shop in PHX which happens to be the legendary EVOMSit company, is a boon to my track day gratification experience, and I'm a very comfortable wrench myself, still pro's are pro's. I'm no pro, Nick is. like talking to a knowledge library on my car, always. (And sam too!)

3-DO consider buying instruction its worth every penny if your commited to the hobby, often a 2 day course will go a long way. you can often learn on someone elses car, which allows you to learn more than worry about your own assets. I feel this is key if your are not a nautural. Most folks arent, and require talent development and training. then as your skill grows, use your head, tuck away the ego and start at the end of the lowest run group, ask for instruction

you can then better plan or commit your self to events based on your budget, skill level and goals/preferences

I do love to track my 991 and apologize to you all for rambling on here!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:09 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
I run open track days and like playing with vettes, prepped m3 and the like.

Tires are key, dont waste any time with OE wheels and tires. I went with some inexpensive OZ stuff of tirerack, but if your budget allows for forged, do it! For me, having considered 19s, and not all fitting,I simply stayed with 20s, and found three tires I like alot:
-MPSC2 for street and track, just not the sticky icky I need on track
-DUNLOP Sport Race Maxx for track with some street possible, also usable wet
-Trofeo R a trackday monster

great question: Girodiscs are simply a lighter larger rotor retaining oe calipers. The OE brakes get over their head on hard hard braking before chicanes, ABS engages sooner than I like; where my buddy in his z28 out brakes me with his ccb. I want to try and have better modulation with the brakes so upping rotor size makes sense; however there is nothing available from AP/Essex for the 991S; they only have gt3 stuff so far but talking with Jeff Ritter it IS in the pipeline

I forgot-
1- My car is not Sport Chrono, so I added a Tarret supplied Transmission mount that does increase the nvh slightly but after a few days even wife got used to it, it does keep the entire driveline from moving as much in fast transitions, see link below

2-i'm on Torque 700 brake fluid and also use ATE gold and SRF in my garage

3-I've ordered Elephant Racing monoballs (ask for Chuck) and am considering his FEA designed cnc lower rear links, and would steer clear of the Agency copycat part, btw.

in retrospective reconsideration I would also consider the Elephant kit which can be ordered with stiffer coils than the KW setup right off the bat, however u may also find a preference for 70mm ID coils as per same height of coil spring there is more winding than on a 2.5ID coil and hence, sometimes a better ride quality on softer springs, I suspect.

I cannot emphasize enough how much the TPC sways were a boon, pricey but worth it, and just as critical is the alignment, dont skimp here; I went to EVOMS who uses a Beissbarth; the front camber is essential, as is rear toe on this chassis. Dont be stingy on either

Next mods:
GMG Seat base and atleast a drivers trackday seat

Glad to hear from another track guy. Yes, I do open track days as well and instruct for PCA, BMWCCA and ACNA. It's a blast.

My car is PDK, Sport Chrono with PDCC so I don't have the ability to go with as many aftermarket options as you. But I love the way it handles. PDCC is magic! No plans for any suspension changes. I do need more neg camber to reduce understeer but I don't want to increase NVH as this is my street car 90% of the time. Any suggestions?

I have Sport Techno 20" street wheels but went with 19" BBS for track mainly to keep weight and cost down. I have to drive to and from tracks so R Comps are out. And I need the tire to be good in rain, also. So choices limited.

As far as brakes, I have already cracked two sets of rotors. But I can replace a lot of them for the price of Girodiscs. But they are still tempting. I use Motul fluid and Pagid RS29 pads.

So I'll keep researching tires such as those you suggest and save up for Girodiscs!

Last edited by BradB; 10-08-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:14 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

As for MPSC2s, they are Ok for driving in the rain, but beware of low temperatures. They like heat in them to develop good grip.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:47 AM
shumi_9
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
take this with a grains worth of worth, no more

tracking a porsche because you own one is NOT for everyone, but I suggest most people attend a few DE to be sure, they are awesome fun.

The idea IS to go thru brakes and tires, thats the fun, the g forces the speed the improving lap times and the beers/food afterwards with folks you just ran with, all fun. Its not a cheap sport, especially in a porsche. I suspect a 4 banger miata costs less to track than my 400+ hp p car. your tire and brake choice will determine wear levels along with your level of driving aggressiveness.

I run trackday wheels and pads. I have a setup that I leave pristine for when I wanna DD the car, but its not my primary daily, so this is less of an issue when you make it more toy less transport. they make GREAT toys to play with!

With proper care, I'm not doing anything to the car it was not already designed for. We own three P cars and all see track time, all are keeper cars. I'm **** to a high degree about car care and do most my work myself in the way of my basic prep and day to day maint.

some tips/thoughts:

1-DO join your local PCA,(I did ) or other track focused local car club, be it BMW chapter, NASA, SCCA etc and attend a few DE days to warm up. DO go get together when you arent driving event bound, the camaraderie is a bonus. Go often. you will learn thru osmosis. They have instructors, and lots of novices, so you wont feel like the new guy, ever. I feel attending as many non open track events, meets and such may better prepare you for the open track days. You may find SCCA or auto-x more your speed to get started than using all 6 gears on day 1.

2-DO align yourself with your local P car shop or a reputed one on line as well. Forum schmorum, go to he who preps other peoples cars for money for track if youre not versed with the needed car prep stuff and arent ready to play technician yourself, better to make sure its done right than guess, or risk your own stuff against your own learning curve, only you know what youre confident with doing. My tech,at my local shop in PHX which happens to be the legendary EVOMSit company, is a boon to my track day gratification experience, and I'm a very comfortable wrench myself, still pro's are pro's. I'm no pro, Nick is. like talking to a knowledge library on my car, always. (And sam too!)

3-DO consider buying instruction its worth every penny if your commited to the hobby, often a 2 day course will go a long way. you can often learn on someone elses car, which allows you to learn more than worry about your own assets. I feel this is key if your are not a nautural. Most folks arent, and require talent development and training. then as your skill grows, use your head, tuck away the ego and start at the end of the lowest run group, ask for instruction

you can then better plan or commit your self to events based on your budget, skill level and goals/preferences

I do love to track my 991 and apologize to you all for rambling on here!

Good write up! I am also located in Phoenix and am very lucky to be able to get my car to Evolution Motor sports for mods (mostly alignment and track set up)
I track every 2 weeks in the winter, dry only (not by choice, no rain here). I also partecipate in Autocross.
2014 C4S PDK, Sport Chrono with PDCC and AERO kit is modified as follows for track days:
19" Toyo R888
Pagid RS29 pads endurance compound
CastrolSRF racing fluid

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q62sgc7h5j...81%29.mp4?dl=0
Old 10-08-2015, 10:48 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Along with all that has been previously written in this article a few tips that may help with the confidence, enjoyment and longevity of your Porsche.

* Correctly prep the car before arriving at the track.
* Study the track - videos are usually available.
* Pay attention at the drivers meeting. Flags, corner workers, passing and vehicle trouble instructions.
* Hydrate
* Start each session SLOWLY. Build speed gradually.
* Checklist inspect car after each session. Tires, pressure, lug torque, rotors, pucks, fluids and belts.
* Don't set the e-brake after a session
* Difficult on the 991 but pop the hood and try to cool it down.

JMHO.... From personal driving sessions that ranged from 15 minutes to nearly an hour: Heat soak will greatly influence the amount of wear, tear and maintenance your car will sustain and necessitate, respectfully. Two warm up laps (short track) and 15-20 minutes of run time is probably a good compromise for both you and the vehicle.

These are not race cars. If you drove it to the track, you will probably want to drive it home. Besides, it's hard to explain to insurance or Porsche.

........have fun!
Old 10-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Happy trackster

I have been tracking my 991 C2 coupe since I got it a year ago. I have had 12 events so far this year with a couple more coming up before the holidays.
LOVE this car on the track, on the street, and through the mountains.

PDK (with buttons, not paddles), PASM, Sport Chrono Plus, PTV Plus, 20" factory rims, no mods except for the Porsche Crest valve stem covers I added in place of the gray plastic ones.

No mechanical issues so far. No unusual tire wear or brake pad wear.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Thundertub; 10-11-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: How many of you guys are tracking your 991s ?