Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopefully i'll have an update on the car next week
Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Siegel
hopefully i'll have an update on the car next week
Sorry to hear what you're going through. If it's a good shop you should get it back not being able to tell it was ever hit.

Now, for diminished value, I just went through that exercise. A much lighter hit than yours but the process is the same. Total repairs for me only came to about $4,500 (rear ended).

I paid an appraiser to calculate the amount I could reasonably ask for and was told $2,042. I thought that was a bit stingy so I filed the claim on my own without the appraisal report, instead using an Ebay ad with a 997 advertised with a 15% discount due to a front fender hit looking much like yours. End result was a check for $3,200 from Geico without even using the appraiser's assessment.

Unless things work different in CA, your insurance company probably won't get involved in the DV process so you'll have to handle that yourself with whatever company the guy who hit you is insured with. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

15% seems to be about the right price when talking about diminished value. my sales rep at beverly hills porsche said that's what a collision on a car fax report would probably debit a car. the repair facility is a certified porsche repair shop and from everything i've heard the car will be like new. just have to hope for the best in that regard.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Siegel
no beach access, just view. the architectural committee made them lower their roofline so its not going to kill us. but they're horrible neighbors and it irks me they were granted anything
Yeah, those jerks, who do they think they are trying to enjoy their private property! Use the government to FORCE them to conform to your whims! That's the American way right?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:38 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are we feeling a little testy today? Your other post to today on the 993 forum concerning Hankook tires was even nastier.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

just the nature of forums in general. just because someone can afford to buy a porsche, it doesn't make them either intellectually, culturally, or socially competent.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Are we feeling a little testy today? Your other post to today on the 993 forum concerning Hankook tires was even nastier.
LOL...
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

checking in today, i found out that the last of the parts they were waiting for to begin putting my car back together had arrived. so, with some luck my car will go to beverly hills porsche for alignment and tweaking on tuesday and perhaps i get my car back wednesday or by thursday anyway. i found out that there was actually another 991 that had been hit really badly damaging the whole rear of the car...with the engine being taken out to complete the repairs...and it's only half way completed and came in a week earlier than mine. i actually had heard the story because another dealer where we had purchased our 2012 cayenne several weeks earlier had told us the story. the car had gotten hit within 3 hours of driving off the lot. now having my 6 days seems like a lifetime in comparison. well, i want to thank fast1 once again for the information on making a diminished value claim. i passed it on to the owner of the other way more seriously damaged 991. hope it helps him. i'm kinda shocked they didn't total the car. has to be very frustrating...as in my case, spare parts for much of what was damaged in his car hadn't even been produced yet. i guess in some ways it's reassuring to know there aren't just a bunch of spare porsche or "generic" parts that sit around. when they say the car is being "remanufactured" they're not kidding!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Sorry to hear what you're going through. If it's a good shop you should get it back not being able to tell it was ever hit.

Now, for diminished value, I just went through that exercise. A much lighter hit than yours but the process is the same. Total repairs for me only came to about $4,500 (rear ended).

I paid an appraiser to calculate the amount I could reasonably ask for and was told $2,042. I thought that was a bit stingy so I filed the claim on my own without the appraisal report, instead using an Ebay ad with a 997 advertised with a 15% discount due to a front fender hit looking much like yours. End result was a check for $3,200 from Geico without even using the appraiser's assessment.

Unless things work different in CA, your insurance company probably won't get involved in the DV process so you'll have to handle that yourself with whatever company the guy who hit you is insured with. Good luck!
It all depends on the insurance carrier. GEICO is top in my books. I bet if the carrier were Progressive, it would be a lot different. I had fun getting money from them even though the police report unequivocally blamed the driver insured by them. We had to take them to arbitration to get the money.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

really! i spoke to the people at collision claim assoc and they said that mercury ins is good in every state about this except where i live in california. but since the mercury client took full responsibility for the accident they have been good SO FAR...at least as far as giving me the 2010 991 cab to drive while my car is being fixed. so we'll see what happens once i've gotten the independent evaluation done by the adjustor.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

That really sucks. It's incredible the damage was 20k! Holy crap, I wonder if the repair shop is taking the insurance company for a ride. Hope it drives well when you get her back, I can't imagine that happening to a new car. Good luck
Old 08-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

thanks bob, i just saw your post. i was hoping to be able to say the car was back and its fabulous, BUT going on 7 weeks and its still not done. got to really feel for the 991 cab owner who also has his car there. he had his for about 3 hours...and his damage is massive.

supposedly, my car has been reassembled and will be going to the dealership for tech, tune-up, and alignment. then the mercury adjustor has to come over and approve the extra costs before i can get the car back. in the meantime its costing them a fortune as i've had the 2010 cab rental for 6 weeks.

but driving that 997 just reminds me how much i'll appreciate the 991 once i get it back. i'll probably drive it home from bev hills like tom cruise drove his dad's home in risky business after he watched it fall off the pier into the lake and had it repaired. hope to update again soon
Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

by the way, though it has nothing to do with my 991, we also bought a 2012 cayenne. i gotta say, that blind side option for the mirrors is a must have on all cars (don't think its even an option on the 991) and the rear camera...both are great options and porsche should add them as must haves. my 991 has the front and rear sensors but that camera on the cayenne is great.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM
abruno222
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your keeping your car but these big ticket items with $20k plus damage can be used against you if you ever plan on trading or selling the vehicle.
The car fax reports the vehicle was in an accident not the extent of the damage. Its up to the appraiser to access any repairs your vehicle sustained.
You may be asked if the vehicle was in an accident but you do not need to disclose the dollar amout of the repair.
This is in Mass. not sure about other states.
Hopefully your car comes back and your happy with the work..
As a tip watch for overspray and tape lines.....ensure that any tape lines are sanded and do not exist, its the first thing any car guy with a good eye looks for.

Good luck!!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

this car was everything i wanted in a 991 cab so i'm hopeful the job will be perfect. it is a porsche certified shop and they'd risk losing certification if anything was missed. and nothing is actually being repaired. everything was replaced which is why i'm 7 weeks into the repair. the shop has great reviews as well as being recommended by beverly hills porsche where i'd purchased it. i will certainly try to check every detail. but this is actually my first major accident on over 35 years. so i'm no expert. as for the car fax report, that's why i've submitted a diminished value claim.

Quick Reply: my first month with my new 911 cab