Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
But if Nato Olive looks as good on a 991 as it does here: http://www.turbo-spec.com.au/street-...rbo-redefined/ then it'll be on my list.
Nice find Puf!

But this particular 'Yellow Olive/Gelb Olive' is a Metallic. The 'Nato Olive', color code L6H, just approved by PAG is a Uni/Solid paint. Now what?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
...Now what? l
Awww drat!

Plan A:
  1. Get a toy model of a 911;
  2. Buy a spray can of touch-up paint for the PTS colour;
  3. Spray toy;
  4. Photograph painted toy in many lighting conditions;
  5. Post photos on new PTS mega-thread;
  6. Repeat for each colour (perhaps re-use toy);
  7. Collect Nobel prize for effort.
Plan B
Enter into an arrangement with someone on the production line or in Porsche Exclusive. They send us colour samples / photos of their new colours. In return, we send them beer, sausages and David Hasselhoff CDs.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:43 PM
shake-em-on-down
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to see the Targa coming thick and fast in PTS colours... which one is this...?

http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-99...s-3/2015/06/06
Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Gulf Blau' Limited Edition for the Netherlands...

Originally Posted by shake-em-on-down
Good to see the Targa coming thick and fast in PTS colours... which one is this...?]
Limited Edition for Holland in 'Gulf Blau', color code 328!

Although the photos on the link look like this (closer to my 1970 'Crystal Blau'):

Don't believe it. The real 'Gulf Blau' color is more 'washed-out' and looks like this:

Different cameral lenses, filters, light conditions, post-digital photo manipulation..don't always trust the photos you see to represent true color as the eye sees it!

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/p...ands-official/

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-06-2015, 06:23 PM
shake-em-on-down
Instructor

It looks great in either shade... was going to go for gulf orange on my Targa, but the gulf blue is definately tempting
Old 06-12-2015, 03:07 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Espresso/Cognac' on a Cabriolet with a 'Black' top...

Originally Posted by pcosta
Hi Eduardo, I contacted Melissa Witek, who very quickly responded to me with the bad news. Can't use Leather to Sample on the GTS, and if I change away from the Alcantara package (to Leather) I can't have deviated stitching either.

So my options are: either go back to the GTS package or go to a 911 with X51. Then I would be able to order Natural Leather and Deviated Stitching.
Before adding the cost of Natural Leather and Deviated Stitching, It will be about $10K, or $15-20K to move from the GTS package in Alcantara to Natural leather with deviated stitching. I've got a lot of thinking to do!!

Regards
Paulo
The challenge with Expresso/Cognac in a cabriolet is that it doesn't look good with a black roof. It looks like something that wasn't thought through from a design standpoint.

Mismatch of espresso-cognac with a convertible black roof
Originally Posted by hinckley
If you are considering a DBM Cab, you've got to go with the blue roof. It matches the body color almost exactly so that the Cab looks like a Coupe with the roof up. See my car here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8730...t-the-gts.html. Also, note that in a GTS with Espresso/Cognac interior, in addition to the normal two-tone interior's deviating stitching, you can get additional deviating stitching with options CZW (dashboard) and CTK (air vents).
I like the combination of Espresso/Cognac for a Cabriolet and I like even better that it is Natural leather. The problem is that I don't want to go with Mahogany or White with a Brown Top.
When I look in the configurator it seems to be a big clash between the Espresso and the black top. Any colors that would minimize that? I'm even open to considering Pain to Sample.
In parallel I'm working with Porsche Exclusive looking at Black Natural leather and using red deviated stitching to break up the all black interior. Any suggestions are welcome.
Originally Posted by hinckley
I'm pretty partial to my Dark Blue Metallic with Espresso/Cognac. [/url]

Edit: never mind!! I just realized that I had responded similarly to an earlier post of yours (it seemed familiar!) and I'm thinking that DBM + Blue top doesn't work for you.

Combined several questions by Paulo with comments from Hinckley to give Paulo a comprehensive answer below:

Paulo: I think a variety of other 'standard' & 'metallic' colors could go with the 'Espresso/Cognac' two tone interior.

'Agate' comes to mind.

What is surprising is that you don't like the 'Brown' convertible top option when you are choosing basically a brown tone interior. Naturally, a brown top will compliment best the predominant brown 'Espresso' interior the best with most exterior colors. The exception is 'Black' or 'Jet Black'. Here you could select a black top standard and it would go perfectly well with your two tone 'Espresso / Cognac' interior! It would be a most elegant combination.

To a lesser extend, a black cabriolet top could also work with an 'Agate' exterior and a 'Espresso/Cognac' interior.

Personally, I would even find it acceptable on the 'Dark Blue' of your earlier example. The black top goes well with the darker exterior...and really doesn't contradict the tone of the 'Espresso/Cognac' interior.

Just my dos centavos worth. Good luck with your decision.

What is Melissa telling you about Leather to Sample 'black'. As of a few years ago, nobody had ever even asked for it. I was the first one to pose that question to her. As you know, I am a big fan of the higher grade natural leather interiors and I think it merits consideration.

Post #13
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Post #23
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...ml#post9723261

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-12-2015, 05:10 PM
shake-em-on-down
Instructor

Anyone know if the houndstooth's upholstery (seen on the 911 50th edition and the Gulf blue Dutch Targa above) is available as part of exclusive?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Pepita...

Originally Posted by shake-em-on-down
Anyone know if the houndstooth's upholstery (seen on the 911 50th edition and the Gulf blue Dutch Targa above) is available as part of exclusive?
We know of one credible individual that asked for it...and was turned down. But he was allowed to order the 'Geyser Grey Metallic' paint on his 991 C4S, so this was someone that was serious customer!

Post 615
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...nd-you-41.html

Post 745
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...l#post12178420

My sense is that they are just keeping the pepita/houndstooth seat fabric inlays 'exclusive' for the Limited Editions for the time being.

In Dutch LE:

In 50th 911 Anniversary LE:

In the future...who knows?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I just got back from the OPC having finalised the original order placed at the end of April. Build date is 11-18 November. Whilst there is still quite some time to go, I’ve been told that the PTS colour is already locked - Grigio Campovolo Y99
Originally Posted by sezme
When I wanted Rhodium stitching on the Sport Design wheel...I was told that the cost would be at least $4000.00...
In the end, I went for an Alcantara wheel with Rhodium stitching. And Sezme, you are not going to like this but the price I was quoted was indeed expensive but not as extreme as the offer you had. Mine with 20% UK sales tax works out about half the cost of your quote. I then managed to get a third knocked off the price of this item by negotiating / begging my dealer. Just to be clear, this is for the stitching only and without a centre marker.

I have tried to restrain the build but failed (Freeman, if you’re reading this, I really did try but once I saw lines of deviation in the flesh, I got hooked). The interior trim of my GTS coupe will be:

GR Black alcantara package with rhodium stitching
088 GTS interior package
CTK Air vents in leather with rhodium stitching
CUJ Fuse box cover with rhodium stitching
CXN Extended interior package rear in leather with rhodium stitching
CZW Extended interior package dashboard with rhodium stitching
XMP Sun visors in leather (NB I was offered rhodium stitching but declined!)
XNS Steering column casing in leather with rhodium stitching
XTG Inner door sill guards in leather with rhodium stitching
XWK Sport seats plus backrests in leather with rhodium stitching
----- Alcantara sport wheel with rhodium stitching

Thanks to all who have helped.:
Old 06-13-2015, 08:18 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Puf, that sounds like it'll be spectacular! I'm very curious to see photos, and I'd love to hear your impressions of grigio campovolo when your car arrives.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default PTS color samples coming to PCNA's two 'Porsche Exclusive' US 'showroom' offices!

This exchange from the 981 Custom Ordering thread might be of interest to others in this forum.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

************************************************************************ *****************

Originally Posted by CAlexio
so if I understand correctly, all the green check marked colors are tried and tested and available as PTS colors? that's a lot of choices.. pretty cool!

i wish there was a similar repertoire of color samples associated so we could see what they look like. going a google search with the word "porsche" and then the color yields a variety of hues.. tough to know which ones are even accurate.
CAlexio: There is a longer discussion about this topic in this other thread at the gt3 forum. Let me quote the relevant parts that might help with your 'wish'!

...You probably will be able to see a color chip at 'Porsche Exclusive' in Zuffenhausen, simply because that is where they store the information on what PTS colors have been done in the past. We recently heard from Rennlister Otisdog that 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US might get a full set of approved samples for all PTS colors. I think that is a tall order...but will be happy to see it if true.

In general, PAG doesn't encourage folks to order PTS based on photos or other representations from their employees due to legal liability issues. It's a 'Paint to Sample' program at heart...the initiative has to come from YOU. This is so when you get your PTS custom ordered vehicle, you can't blame anybody else but you if you don't like it! At present, the issues with feasibility studies that take a long time to get approved (or rejected) has led to more folks simply ordering from colors already tested & approved for other customers...such as 'Diamond Black Metallic' or 'Riviera Blue'! For all we know, your desired 'Diamond Black Metallic' sample might already be on the 'Wailing Wall' at Zuffenhausen (see below)...we just don't know.

Originally Posted by pmpsch
Met with Matthew at the Beverly Hills PE last week. Very nice chap but sadly at the time the colour samples he had were very limited.

He nevertheless did mention that a full set was on its way (in the shape of small porsches ) so some of you lucky guys might see it at some point.

Eduardo, a big thanks for all the help you are providing all around the globe...more important Porsche should be the one thanking you somehow. i find it very surprising there are no color samples associated with the PTS approved list...online search is often limited.

Is it possible to have a (as complete as currently possible) labeling of the last pic you posted? Thanks again

Patrick
Re: 'Wailing Wall'

It is Henry's (JUPJAI) great photo and we have discussed previously some of the colors we recognized...although a few are in contention. In previous posts, you have seen me & others take a guess at some of the 'blues', 'greens' and 'yellows'.

One of us Rennlisters will show up soon at Zuffenhausen & hopefully be able to document each & every color on that wall! But just remember that PAG does NOT encourage anyone to choose a PTS color based on these photos...since the latter can often misrepresent how the hue is seeing by the human eye. So it's to be use only a general guideline to establish broad parameters as to what palette is 'liked' or 'preferred'. For example, the vivid 'greens' on the wall are hard to tell apart from this photo. And it will be difficult for such a picture to assist anyone trying to decide if they should order 'Viper', 'Signal Green', 'Pure Green', 'RS Green' or whatever other color one of these samples might be!

So caveat lector!
Starting post #255
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...gt3-rs-17.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 06-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Paint to Sample has little hilarity to it!

A follow up post to the one above that I thought might be of interest to those on this forum too!

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Eduardo, thanks I had seen this... the hilarity of this color wall though is that they don't provide names go to with it. It's like they want you to go nuts playing detective... what good are a bunch of samples without names attached?

I'm going to go to my SA and say, "I'd like fourth row down, 6 from the left please"
They have the official name and color code attached to each of these samples.

They are on the back!

Here is the drill, Alessandro. This wall is at the 'Porsche Exclusive' in Zuffenhausen. It's designed for customers to go there in person with an appointment and look at these color samples in person. It is not meant to be a system where you look at a photo in the internet and say "I'll take the one in the fourth row down, 6 from the left" (which I believe is 'Signal Green', code 22S). Even this 'Wailing Wall' doesn't have all the PTS colors approved, just the most popular in Germany. When I was there in 2011, the 'Wall' was much smaller...

But in any case, it's a very subtle differentiation, but the program is called 'Paint to Sample'. Porsche doesn't want you to go by any photograph of a 'Paint Sample', especially one found on their own Zuffenhausen 'wall', and choose a PTS color! You want you to know what color you want & love. They want you to see what the color looks like in person. They want you to be very pro-active in the PTS process. In theory, they want you to send them a sample of the color you want and they'll match it & tested. The onus is on you. They don't want any surprises - from you or your ordering dealer - if they take an order for PTS & later you don't like it. They don't want any 'rejections' once the PTS car is built & delivered to the dealer. I hope this is understood by all!

However, to help with their US customers, PAG has now apparently decided to make sample colors of all (or most) approved PTS colors and send them to their only two 'Porsche Exclusive' locations in the US - Georgia & California. We have heard that now from two separate Rennlisters on this forum, communicated to them by either Melissa Witek or Matthew Henry. Customers who are considering ordering PTS, but don't have a particular color in mind, will be encouraged to go to these offices in person and see for themselves some of these approved PTS color samples. It is a step forward now that PTS has become so popular and so many are choosing from the approved list...rather than to ask for a bespoke color of their own. It's still risky for PAG for the same liability reasons, but they must feel some assurance that they can live with it. And instead of having to go to Zuffenhausen to pay homage & photograph the 'wailing wall', we will be able to go to PCNA-Atlanta or Beverly Hills,California....and do the same thing!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

Hey all,

I've been through the thread pretty well (last 25 pages, anyways), but I apologize if this has been discussed before...

What PTS color is this car? I'm absolutely in love.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am ordering 991 GTS TARGA with Turbo S wheels thru exclusive......Has anyone seen this combination????? Going with Carmine Red exterior...... Great comments here!
Old 06-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Yes we have...so that is good news for you!

Originally Posted by Werks 1
I am ordering 991 GTS TARGA with Turbo S wheels thru exclusive......
Originally Posted by Werks 1
Has anyone seen a GTS with Turbo S wheels?

Starts at #784:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...nd-you-53.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!