Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Z356, thank you so much for your contributions to this forum. I have learned a lot. I have a very outlandish question for you- is it possible to take some elements of a 50th anniversary 911 and translate to a Carrera 4S?

Specifically I want:
50th anniversary gauge [needles only]
Houndstooth interior
geyser grey paint
Originally Posted by Z356
Thank you for your kind words!

How can I put this diplomatically and concise in as few a words as possible. OK, I think I got it.

'Nein'

But that is just my gut feeling. You can ask 'Porsche Exclusive' and wait for their answer. Imagine the reaction of the 1963 individual owners of the very expensive 50th Anniversary Limited Edition would be if they respond anything but 'Nein'.

Also notice the words 'the likes of which will never be seen again.' in their webpage. There is a period after that sentence. It is not followed by 'unless ordered via 'Porsche Exclusive' by any Tom, Dick or SnakeBitten Harry!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Originally Posted by Mag3
actually...

my custom order C4S just arrived at the dealership... ;-)
i was able to:
- do the PTS geiser grey
- order the front grill parts with chrome
- order the grill in the 50th style (narrow slats with chrome tips)
- order the part that replaces the rear red strip
- match the interior deviated stiching and agate
- order the fuchs style rims (extra.. i'll use as my summer rims, and the default as winter wheels/tires)

what i couldn't get:
- houndstooth center for the seats... i was ok with this because with that i couldn't have gotten seat ventilation
- the 50th badges everywhere (also just fine with me)
- the green dial.. (bummed I couldn't get this)

i'll post in a few days when i pick it up, but it will to the casual observer be a 50th with 4wd. ;0

-mag3
That's more than most of us would probably have expected. Good for you...but I don't know if all the other folks that bought into the '50th Anniversary' marketing and thought all of the special touches, 'the likes of which will never be seen again', will be as thrilled with your success. In principle, I am not too sure that 'Porsche Exclusive' is doing themselves favors by duplicating - so soon after the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition has been introduced - so many of its 'unique' features, including the 'Geiser Grey' exterior color. But that is the type of operation they are apparently running at the present time over at Zuffenhausen. Which reminds me of this old joke:

As in the story of a conversation between a very sophisticated gentleman and a very respectable lady at a party. They are talking about prostitution, “Well,” says the gentleman, “just for the sake of our argument, suppose I offered you $1000—would you spend the night with me?” The lady, smiling coquettishly: “Who knows—I might very well!” The gentleman: “Now suppose I offer you $10 for the night?” The lady: “But what do you think I am?” The gentleman: “We’ve already established what you are. Now we’re just haggling over the price.”

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Mag3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's more than most of us would probably have expected. Good for you...but I don't know if all the other folks that bought into the '50th Anniversary' marketing and thought all of the special touches, 'the likes of which will never be seen again', will be as thrilled with your success. In principle, I am not too sure that 'Porsche Exclusive' is doing themselves favors by duplicating - so soon after the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition has been introduced - so many of its 'unique' features, including the 'Geiser Grey' exterior color. But that is the type of operation they are apparently running at the present time over at Zuffenhausen. Which reminds me of this old joke:

As in the story of a conversation between a very sophisticated gentleman and a very respectable lady at a party. They are talking about prostitution, “Well,” says the gentleman, “just for the sake of our argument, suppose I offered you $1000—would you spend the night with me?” The lady, smiling coquettishly: “Who knows—I might very well!” The gentleman: “Now suppose I offer you $10 for the night?” The lady: “But what do you think I am?” The gentleman: “We’ve already established what you are. Now we’re just haggling over the price.”

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

To be fair... It cost a hell of a lot to duplicate that... Not sure many will be as hell bent as I was...

Also... The cool computer graphics for 5th aren't there and I don't have the amped up engine...

YMMV

-Mag3
Old 11-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

To be fair... It cost a hell of a lot to duplicate that... -Mag3
Let's not haggle over the pricing! You had a good time getting 'it' and it's not apparently the first time in bed for Ms. 'Porsche Exclusive' either. So you both got what you bargained for! Enjoy a cup of tea now and relax.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Mag3
Intermediate

Let's not haggle over the pricing! You had a good time getting 'it' and it's not apparently the first time in bed for Ms. 'Porsche Exclusive' either. So you both got what you bargained for! Enjoy a cup of tea now and relax.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

To hell with tea - it's time to drive!! 😄
Old 11-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

How do you think I feel? I can't even PAY for it! And that's after dancing with me for almost 6 months...
Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

To hell with tea - it's time to drive!! 😄

Originally Posted by Keadog
How do you think I feel? I can't even PAY for it! And that's after dancing with me for almost 6 months...

Keith: I was wondering if I would ever have the opportunity to use this particular smilie (above)...so I might as well use it now in this playful context!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

actually...

my custom order C4S just arrived at the dealership... ;-)
i was able to:
- do the PTS geiser grey
- order the front grill parts with chrome
- order the grill in the 50th style (narrow slats with chrome tips)
- order the part that replaces the rear red strip
- match the interior deviated stiching and agate
- order the fuchs style rims (extra.. i'll use as my summer rims, and the default as winter wheels/tires)

what i couldn't get:
- houndstooth center for the seats... i was ok with this because with that i couldn't have gotten seat ventilation
- the 50th badges everywhere (also just fine with me)
- the green dial.. (bummed I couldn't get this)

i'll post in a few days when i pick it up, but it will to the casual observer be a 50th with 4wd. ;0

-mag3
Congratulations, that's great. I had thought the exclusive colors for the 911_50 would eventually become available via PTS, but I certainly didn't think it would happen in the same year as the 911_50 was offered! That's pretty incredible! Enjoy in good health!

Last edited by FORENN; 11-30-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Mag3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Congratulations, that's great. I had thought the exclusive colors for the 911_50 would eventually become available via PTS, but I certainly didn't think it would happen in the same year as the 911_50 was offered! That's pretty incredible! Enjoy in good health!
Thanks. :-)
Honestly I was quite surprised myself… When I went into my local dealership ready to get serious about an order they had a 50th anniversary edition sitting on the floor.

I was like "..but… I want that!"
To which they informed me that all had been already spoken for… But I guess my whining and pining for something that looked just like that one them over and they walked me through the Porsche exclusive process.

I was fine paying extra to replace some of the exterior body parts… But I must admit I was annoyed that I couldn't spec the Fuchs style ribs from the factory and had to purchase them in addition to the base set that came with the car.

Cheers,
-Justin
Old 12-08-2014, 01:29 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

interesting info, did we learn any more about the 991 without headlight washers? were they deleted?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:58 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eduardo Barbara Böckenhoff was project coordinator at Porsche Classic which is a good sign.

What happened to C4 in Geyser - have we had proof of life beyond new member post?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dark knight
interesting info, did we learn any more about the 991 without headlight washers? were they deleted?
Apparently not.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...nd-you-36.html

Originally Posted by Mondrian
What happened to C4 in Geyser - have we had proof of life beyond new member post?
I guess Mag3 has apparently not yet learned that posting about a car without 'pichers' is actually worthless! So hopefully my attachment will motivate him to do so!

Eduardo Barbara Böckenhoff was project coordinator at Porsche Classic which is a good sign.
That's good. But as you chaps say in Britannia, 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. Let's see what changes she makes at 'Porsche Exclusive' for North America & how well & effectively she listens/respond to her customers' needs!

What kind of job & reputation did she have at 'Porsche Classic' in Germany? Did anyone have extensive contact with her in her previous job?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 12-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

I guess Mag3 has apparently not yet learned that posting about a car without 'pichers' is actually worthless! So hopefully my attachment will motivate him to do so!
Would a pic do it for you given that it could just be a 50th rather than a C4 in 50th attire? Devil is in the detail.

My understanding of the Porsche classic project is that they planned to restore 350 classics (356/914/911to 993) a year on a worldwide basis through their network, think it started back in 2007. Not sure what it has evolved into now so would be great for others in the know to chip in but that's quite a massive project and as a project coordinator Barbra should have the right skill set & experience for her new role. We have seen a few restored aircooled cars in dealerships over here. I dare say she is far more experienced and better equipped than her predecessors for this role - she should also have better rapport with Stuttgart too.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:16 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Would a pic do it for you given that it could just be a 50th rather than a C4 in 50th attire? Devil is in the detail.

My understanding of the Porsche classic project is that they planned to restore 350 classics (356/914/911to 993) a year on a worldwide basis through their network, think it started back in 2007. Not sure what it has evolved into now so would be great for others in the know to chip in but that's quite a massive project and as a project coordinator Barbra should have the right skill set & experience for her new role. We have seen a few restored aircooled cars in dealerships over here.
That is great...but WE in the US have the best & most AUTHENTIC restorations done for Porsches! Trust me when I say that. The very best of our restorers seldom 'over-restore' like I have seen the factory do in the past! And for research as to authentic parts and 'as-it-left-the-factory' condition, we have the most expertise (356 Registry, PCA, Early 911 Registry, restorers & parts vendors, Rennlist, Pelican & other internet forums) and the most original, low mileage Porsches in the world right here in the USA!

I dare say she is far more experienced and better equipped than her predecessors for this role - she should also have better rapport with Stuttgart too.
Well, we will wait and see. I hope so. But lack of knowledge about 'Porsche Exclusive' options and PTS was NEVER the problem I found with Sascha Glaeser, the former manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' for this market (PCNA's). He worked at 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany before he came to PCNA. He was also a charming man! But I mostly fault him for his inability to understand the needs of our market...and communicate that effectively to his superiors in Germany! And he was not very good at 'communications' with his market. For example, he failed to properly explain to dealers and the US Porsche customers how the PTS windows work at PAG during each model year. Even at this late date, I often hear at Rennlist complaints about PTS, why it's so difficult go order, the so-called excessive cost (it's a damn bargain) and other 'misunderstandings' about the other 'Exclusive' products. The reason these comments still come up is because neither PAG nor PCNA has explained it very well to their customers and/or dealers! And that was Sascha's job! And now, perhaps in small part because threads like this in the internet, PAG has been overwhelmed with demand for PTS...but unable to meet it satisfactorily. And it creates an unhealthy antagonism from folks that were all set to special order their custom 'dream' Porsche just to be told 'Sorry'...maybe next year.

In my long observation of the way he and Melissa Witek worked their jobs, which for me started in 2011 after I spend a long time trying to understand the option process at PAG & custom ordered one to my specs, I realized they were always 'reacting' to inquiries, never anticipating how the Paint-to-Sample, and the 'Exclusive' option process in general, could be better delivered to their customers here in the US! As a result, in my opinion we as customers have been (in general) ill served by Sascha and his team. Some of us, those who were able to negotiate face-to-face time (like I did) or persisted in email correspondence, were able to get our custom orders assisted by them. Good for us! But for the great majority of potential customers for Porsche's 'Exclusive' options, Sascha & Melissa never really reached out & touched you...figuratively speaking. It was a failure in communications and marketing! And it's quite sad for me to see so many of these opportunities squandered in the process as customers got fed up & gave up. This thread has a lot of unsatisfied clients that have vented these feelings in their posts. If 'Porsche Exclusive' was better organized and its message more effectively communicated to the dealer & customer base, sales of these costly options could easily have doubled or tripled in the US alone. But most importantly, PAG/PCNA would have had a more deeply satisfied 'Exclusive' client base here - one that custom ordered unique, bespoke vehicles which are often not available at any price from Porsche's competition! That kind of customer satisfaction is frankly...priceless! So Ms. Böckenhoff, welcome and we hope you much success. But we need a better delivery system for 'Porsche Exclusive' and more effective communication from your office & staff here in the US!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

That is great...but WE in the US have the best & most AUTHENTIC restorations done for Porsches! Trust me when I say that. The very best of our restorers seldom 'over-restore' like I have seen the factory do in the past! And for research as to authentic parts and 'as-it-left-the-factory' condition, we have the most expertise (356 Registry, PCA, Early 911 Registry, restorers & parts vendors, Rennlist, Pelican & other internet forums) and the most original, low mileage Porsches in the world right here in the USA! Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Great points here Eduardo, that deserve repeating and spreading around even beyond the wide readership of your thread here. There are (at least within the rarefied circles you travel in) plenty of people who understand the importance of 'as it left the factory'. In the wider circle of everyone who owns a Porsche however almost all of them just want the car looking as good as possible without regard to originality at all. Not in terms of parts, not in terms of appearance. Then as time goes by those are the cars that lose value, while the ones left original appreciate.

This is one of the great values of Porsche Exclusive, and I know you mention it but it bears repeating. Porsche Exclusive allows owners to do something pretty much nobody else does, to have your car just the way you want it and be that way from the factory. Years down the road you have both a unique and original Porsche. The value of this program and the cars created through it are literally inestimable.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:55 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Eduardo - I suspect there were bigger problems underneath the surface than just pre sales service for "Porsche exclusive" as it didn't take much to overload the system. Given the fact that they have halted the program I suspect they are going through a reorganisation so should see more changes in how they operate the exclusive program.

As for the classics program, I am not sure what their aim was - preservation or recreation, as you rightly pointed out the result is very different but don't forget we don't have many 40 year old "California cars" on this end of the pond so very very limited supply of cars that can be used to create the right patina in the first place.

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!