Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default re: Audi's new S-Tronic Transmission

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
She's a beaut! Now that Audi is coming out with the S-Tronic, are you seeing a new R8 sometime in your future?
I was invited by Audi of America to their 'special' intro of the MY2014 R8's at Sonoma Raceway in California in April 2013, including a night's stay at the fancy Carneros Inn in Napa and a gourmet dinner for the 25 folks selected for the event at the El Dorado Kitchen with chef Armando Navarro! I also got an opportunity to discuss the future of the R8 with Stephan Reil, head of Technology Development at Quattro GmbH (the Andreas Prueuninger of Audi) who had travelled from Germany just for this event. You might be interested in reading that thread at this link:

http://teamspeed.com/forums/performa...nia-april.html

We spent all day driving the new S-Tronic dual clutch transmission at Sonoma Raceway. It is the perfect transmission for me on the track! But for how I used my sports cars (mostly street & highway spirited driving), I just love the traditional manual transmission! It allows the driver much more involvement and control, so it's perfect for an oldtimer like me!

I am so happy with my '11 R8 Spyder that I plan to keep it for a while. Once the new chassis for the R8 comes out in (my guess as a MY2017 late in 2016 at the earliest), I will consider custom ordering a new R8 in 'Paint to Sample' and a fancy 'Leather to Sample' interior with deviating stitching! I am presently studying the 'Audi Exclusive' program to see if I get to know it & understand it as well as I do 'Porsche Exclusive'. And of course, i might still get to order a PTS Porsche if I decide that is a worthwhile addition to my limited space garages!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Attached Images     
Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 PM
DAlex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grigiocampovolo Y99

Is Grigiocampovolo Y99 much different than carerra white? Does it have a bit of a blue in it?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DAlex
Is Grigiocampovolo Y99 much different than carerra white? Does it have a bit of a blue in it?
Don't know the color personally. But it was discussed on this thread, but I can't seem to access the 991 photos in this PTS color:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7384...ilver-but.html

The Italians, however, do it to make it look really 'Grey' or 'Grigio'...nothing like Porsche's recent 'Carrara White'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 AM
r_s_a
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an Grigiocampovolo Y99 991 listed at Sunset Porsche. I've attached one photo that, hopefully, won't disappear.

Stewart
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2013, 01:53 AM
DAlex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks - went and looked at it today. Not a fan. Paint looks too flat. I will order in white.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

New custom option from Porsche:
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:31 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Thanks Navy CDR! Looking forward to seeing your custom 991 when it comes in!

Thank you Old(young)man40! I think you will love the C4S cab when it comes in.

I will look at my old notes and post some additional information that I had gathered on custom ordering a 991 prior to my abandonment of the project. In the meantime, I thought you might be interested in seeing photos of my new Audi R8 Spyder. I just did a little bit of customizing on the interior.

For those that might remember the photos I posted of my recently acquired '11 R8 Spyder, there has been an 'interior' color change this week! The car came from factory with a 'Black w. Alcantara' base interior (first photo). Rather dull & somber, if you ask me. I happen to love 'red' interiors. Long story short - I found someone near Sacramento that had removed the OEM Audi R8 'red' interior from his v10 coupe because it looked to much like the red interior on his new Mercedes SLS! Oh, the sheer horror of it...so you can understand! So he had the Audi dealership changed the interior on his brand new R8 (600 miles) and replaced it with a custom ordered 'Audi Exclusive' Black leather interior with deviating 'red' stitching! So I bought real well his 'old' red seat covers & door panels and exchanged them this week for the interior of my 2011 R8 Spyder! The chances of finding this highly desirable 'red' leather R8 interior in 'as new' condition and for a very good price are...extremely rare! So I got pretty lucky. But it's a reminder to all of us that even when you don't custom order a car from factory, there are ways to customizing it for good effect if you set your mind to it!

The exterior color on my car is called 'Lava Gray Pearl Effect'. And with this 'red' interior (called 'Amulet Red' by Audi), it is absolutely stunning! I have not had much time to drive this car since it got here. Then we did this interior work this week. But I took it last Tuesday on a test drive up & down Laureles Grade in Carmel Valley. I drove it just as fast as I had driven my custom-ordered '12 Boxster Spyder that I previously owned (last photo). It handled very well.

So to paraphrase a old song of my youth, 'if you can't be with the Spyder you love, love the Spyder you are with!' And I am loving my new R8 Spyder!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Amazing transformation! I would love to do the same!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Latest Paint to Sample Approved List

The latest approved Porsche Paint to Sample color list was posted by Rennlist member Conekilr over at the 991 gt3 forum (which is greatly appreciated). It is attached at the bottom of this post. For those who have followed the previous approved lists for the 991/981 that I and others have posted on this thread, you will find some interesting surprises on this latest one:

Gulf Blue (#328) is approved! So is Signal Yellow (#114) and Signal Green (#22S). And Viper Green (#225). Tangerine (Blutorange) is on Feasibility status! All of this is great news!

A word of caution. Please understand that how any one PTS gets on the approved list is that someone has requested that specific color 'formula' and it has been approved. But there might be different color formulas for a particular color name! Let me give you an example. When I was in Zuffenhausen last April, I had an extensive 2 hour VIP visit with 'Porsche Exclusive' and I discussed this subject with them at length. I used to own a '07 997S done in PTS 'Signal Green'. It was 'colour code # W25'. Yet in the early 1990's, the factory had done some cars in something they called 'Signal Green' which had a 'colour code #22S'. In the sixties & seventies, the factory also had different color formulation for 'Signal Green' with various color number codes (although they are now mostly referred to as color code #217 for all 'Signal Green' in that early era).

In the attached photos which I took at Porsche Exclusive's office in Zuffenhausen last Spring (2013), you can see that there is a difference between Signal Green 'W25' and Signal Green '217'. The person(s) who got the 'Signal Green' approved for his/her 991 in the past few months decided on Signal Green '22S' (not pictured) but which has quite a bit of blue (similar to color 217 in the photo). If I were to order a 991 in 'Signal Green', I would insist on color formula 'W25', which has more yellow in the tint and absolutely gorgeous! But it's all personal preferences. But if you are spending $5500 for this PTS option and putting up with all the delays such order may entail, please be aware that not all colors - even if they have the same official factory 'name' - are exactly alike! Do your own research and verify with Porsche Germany that the formula you see on the 'approved list' is for the exact color you had your heart set on!

In these photos, you will also see the official Porsche factory color chip for Viper Green (225). And you can compare it to the various Signal Greens and also the 'RS Green' color code 2d8 (factory now calls it just 'Grun'). Hopefully, some of you will find this useful.

'Signal Yellow' is an absolutely awesome color. I had an original paint 1973 911T Sunroof Coupe in that color. See attached factory color plate (114-9-1). So that gives me some hope that the approved 991/981 color is similar since it is coded 114.

Gulf Blue. We will await to see how this 'colour code 328' resembles the historic Gulf Blue of the longhood era.

BlutOrange/Tangerine is on the feasibility list now. That means it's under test to see if it passes all the proper fading and adherence standards. I was instrumental in getting the person that was interested in this color for his 991 order an actual photograph of the official 'colour chip' at Zuffenhausen. It is color code 018 and I have attached a photo compared to another orange color available - Pastell Z17. I am glad to see that the order is 'in' and the feasibility study for this great historic color in under technical consideration.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel, CA
Attached Images       
Attached Images

Last edited by Z356; 11-12-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

A larger photo in case you want to examine the various hues of the colors in greater detail. At the bottom, my old 2007 997S in custom ordered PTS 'Signal Green - W25'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 11-12-2013, 02:03 AM
cy456
Intermediate

Maritime blue!

On another note, my PTS Ice Blue Metallic C2S is on the boat (Apollon Leader) and sloooowly making its way to sandiego (marinetraffic.com ftw). Pics to come when it gets here, in the meantime my PTS experience:

-Was told by my salesperson that for 2013 PTS orders stopped in jan and resumed in sept (MY 2014)

-Ordered in July for a hopeful sept build and nov delivery
Waited as long as I could for my color to get approved (it never did).
Dealer said they could only preorder 2 months before a desired build date so if I wanted sept when PTS opened up the earliest they could put it in was July

-Build finalized by porsche on July17 for a mid November production with late jan delivery.
Was told that Porsche only allows a limited amount of PTS cars each month, so my queue time put me in nov
Much crying commenced

-Porsche production timeline, which any salesperson can screenshot and get for you, is extremely generous (at least for me). Production actually started almost 2.5 weeks earlier, with very little time spent at Emden waiting for xport out of Germany.

-So be prepared to wait even if your color is already approved, especially with the limited amount of PTS slots each month*

*info given to me by my dealership, I have no outside confirmation or denial of this information.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:14 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Eduardo -
Hello fellow Vail resident !

We're entirely down with the custom order experience; Its a special way to start ownership of a car. Head on down to the local Porsche/Audi dealer and get what YOU want.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Eduardo -
Hello fellow Vail resident !
Schneider: If you are around Vail next summer, pm me then and we will get you to join the Gearheads, a local car enthusiast group in the Vail Valley. We have local get togethers, mountain drives, etc. It culminates with the annual 'Wheels & Wing Show' and the 'Vail Automotive Classic' in early September.

http://www.vailautoshow.com/

Outside of summer, I am mostly in 'Carmel-by-the-Left Coast' the rest of the year!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-18-2013, 02:04 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Eduardo -
We're in town throughout the summer mostly starting from mid-May thru mid-September including most winter holidays to ski, etc.
It's a date! I'll be certain to connect with you and the group. I'll bet there is plenty of vintage iron in the garages of Vail, and if in the summer the City Market parking area is any measure, there's a wide pallet of European exotics in town.

Cheers,
Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM
O111
1st Gear

Hello,
this Discussion Forum about Custom Ordering a 991 was very helpful. Thank you.
I just ordered a 991 4S in PTS GULF BLUE with CARRERA RED leather, including X51 etc.
Delivery will be in Mars 2014.
Greatings from Germany
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by O111
Hello,
this Discussion Forum about Custom Ordering a 991 was very helpful. Thank you.
I just ordered a 991 4S in PTS GULF BLUE with CARRERA RED leather, including X51 etc.
Delivery will be in Mars 2014.
Greatings from Germany
EPIC!!

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!