Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   New: Adaptive Cruise control active safe 2013 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/703665-new-adaptive-cruise-control-active-safe-2013-a.html)

Romantic911 06-26-2012 04:47 AM

New: Adaptive Cruise control active safe 2013

Nice feature on 991 for 2013 model
Adaptive Cruise control active safe
Any one one ordered?

livaz 06-26-2012 05:01 AM

its a nice feature for a panamera or a cayenne, for the 911 its just a gadget

TSpyder 06-26-2012 05:35 AM

I drove a 650 that had it. Two thumbs down. The again, I'm not much of a fan of non-adaptive cruise control.

Spyder

skinzy 06-26-2012 10:00 AM

I would have loved this feature!

KINGSRULE 06-26-2012 11:37 AM

Pass
This is a sports car, not a sedan

Z356 06-27-2012 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Romantic911 (Post 9638700)
Nice feature on 991 for 2013 model
Adaptive Cruise control active safe
Any one one ordered?

This is not yet available on US Configurator for either 991 or 981. Expected shortly to be added to what we can order here in the USA. What world market are you in (UK?) and what is the actual cost of this option in your local currency? Has any new exterior colors or interior leather color choices been added at the same time as this adaptive cruise control? A greater variety is expected soon in this department also from PAG for the 991 in particular.

I have Distronics Plus on my '07 MB CL600 and the BMW equivalent of adaptive cruise control formerly in a '07 650i Vert. Both are impressive systems! Yes, unnecessary in any car but, realistically, a better alternative than 'dumb' cruise control which has been standard in Porsche sports cars for a many years now! At the very least, very useful in driving back home from a busy day at the racetrack!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

Carrera GT 06-27-2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Z356 (Post 9641264)
I have Distronics Plus on my '07 MB CL600 and the BMW equivalent of adaptive cruise control formerly in a '07 650i Vert. Both are impressive systems! Yes, unnecessary in any car but, realistically, a better alternative than 'dumb' cruise control which has been standard in Porsche sports cars for a many years now! At the very least, very useful in driving back home from a busy day at the racetrack!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

Agreed -- great technology in Benz, invaluable for long-haul driving in "will people never learn?" concertina traffic congestion and would be more useful than "dumb" cruise, which to me has never been much more useful than a "knee saver" (piece of 2x4 wood resting on the throttle pedal to save having your knee stuck in one position for a long drive ...)

There's a few things I'd change about active cruise controls:

* It should not "resume speed" when the driver takes an exit ramp or moves out from behind the car in front causing the slow-down.

* It should beep or somehow actively alert the driver when the car in front slows down below the cruise target speed.

* It should have a fuel efficiency mode with settings to allow "over speed coasting" where it goes into neutral or at least doesn't actively downshift when the car exceeds the target speed rolling downhill.

Also, the Benz system is smart enough to slow below the target speed based on steering input (a sharper turn in a country road) but it was said to have been meant to be able to also look at GPS data to "know" when the road will be hilly (anticipate an uphill) or twisty (avoid "bolting" acceleration between repeated sweeping turns) or to anticipate slower traffic ahead (no use screaming up behind congestion at 75 mph when the traffic data shows the congestion at a tool booth or bridge is 25 mph, etc.) This stuff was "envisaged" in the 90's and still hasn't arrived. Then again, we're in $100K+ cars and still squinting at tiny 5 and 7 inch LCD displays instead of having 10 or 15 inch floating OLEDs on retractable stalks with gesture interfaces and oh forget it, just nail an iPad ... correction: Nexus 7 ... to the dash or buy a Tesla S ... : )