Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:50 AM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by boxterguy
You CAN lock a key within a car having Entry & Drive. Wife and I toured with car and each kept a key in pocket. Parked car in hotel garage (with wife standing nearby) while unknowingly left my key in center console. Hit the door button to lock and car locked with its usual "2 beeps". Hours later, realized I left my key in car and became concerned that anyone approaching car could unlock it and enter by merely lifting the handle. Went (alone) back to car and it was locked (while staring at key sitting in console). Got wife (with her key), went back to car, and it unlocked. Dealer explanation: With 1 key inside the car, and another key just outside the car, the outside key will override the inside key signal and allow the car to lock. You need to bring the other (outside) key back to the car to unlock it. Lesson learned...
This is a good way to do it in my mind. On both our other cars (Japanese); a key fob left inside the car will not allow you to lock the car using the controls on the door handles. You actually have to press the lock button on the fob if you leave the other key inside (accidentally or not).
Old 04-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default +1

+1 Its silky smooth with just enough notch.

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I don't know as the MT in my 991 is the sweetest shifting tranny I have ever operated.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:48 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I learned this one last week: when a crappy dented car parks next you, the Porsche door automatically pulls the crappy car door towards it with enough velocity to cause a dime tovquarter size dent. Works every time....Cool!
Old 04-09-2018, 04:47 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by livaz
did you know that every Porsche that leaves the factory has its wheel center caps positioned in the way that the Porsche crest’s lower edge points to the tyre valve ?
Originally Posted by Abby Normal
Actually, the caps are left off at the factory and installed at the dealership.
...but with CL wheels it points to the little hole for inserting the tool to pop off the center cap.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:13 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
I learned this one last week: when a crappy dented car parks next you, the Porsche door automatically pulls the crappy car door towards it with enough velocity to cause a dime tovquarter size dent. Works every time....Cool!
I hate that feature!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999

on a 991.1, you can’t intentionally trigger the “hold” option. It is still there and kicks on if you came to a stop on an incline. I really liked it in the 991.2 where you pump the brake twice and it holds you at a stoplight, for example. Is that maybe the way you experienced it?
Ack! You are correct. It only works on my car on an incline! Macan, however, can trigger it no matter what.
The following users liked this post:
CrazyChicken (09-05-2021)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

There is no longer an umbrella holder in the door sill on the passenger's on the 991.2.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:23 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

[
Originally Posted by Hurricane
There is no longer an umbrella holder in the door sill on the passenger's on the 991.2.
That actually disappeared somewhere mid-cycle of the 991.1 models. My 2014 did not have one.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
[
That actually disappeared somewhere mid-cycle of the 991.1 models. My 2014 did not have one.
Really? I probably knew that and forgot...

Just noticed it isn't there in my new one lol...I had forgotten that they had disappeared.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Here's a fun fact I just learned about the 991.2 after stumbling into a Car and Driver tech overview:
Sport mode reduces turbo lag

Even with the most sophisticated turbocharger installations, turbo lag still exists at low and moderate rpm. But when you select the new Carrera’s Sport mode, among the changes are different engine parameters designed to maximize exhaust flow through the turbochargers. This means retarding the ignition timing and altering the camshaft phasing, which operates the engine in a less efficient mode. But less efficiency means more air and fuel being used to generate the same amount of power, and that means higher exhaust flow to spool those turbos more energetically.
The full list is here: https://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...911-carreras#1
Old 04-14-2018, 09:59 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
[That actually disappeared somewhere mid-cycle of the 991.1 models. My 2014 did not have one.
My 2013 991.1 has one but it is smaller than was in my 997.2
Old 04-15-2018, 01:50 AM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung6
I went with a similar solution but using the Rennline phone mount as I prefer this to using the AC vents (don't know if it's a good idea to have cold air blowing on the phone due to condensation concerns, etc.). I wish the ball mount could be oriented to the right for better viewing of the PCM. It's not too obtrusive but I would like it not to cover any area of the screen. I reached out to Rennline but they are not open to making a different bracket for me. I may just try to see if a machine shop can make me one that puts the ball to the right and with greater offset. This would place the phone optimally with the only downside being that it prevents use of the left side cup holder. I like this Ottie mount (from Amazon). The phone just snaps on to it making it very convenient when running errands and getting in and out of the car. Removing it is also a one handed operation. The second photo shows how I ran the USB cord to the 12V outlet in the passenger footwell for power.

You know, your solution certainly has one advantage. When I gas the car , torque made the phone holder fall out.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:26 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung6
I went with a similar solution but using the Rennline phone mount as I prefer this to using the AC vents (don't know if it's a good idea to have cold air blowing on the phone due to condensation concerns, etc.). I wish the ball mount could be oriented to the right for better viewing of the PCM. It's not too obtrusive but I would like it not to cover any area of the screen. I reached out to Rennline but they are not open to making a different bracket for me. I may just try to see if a machine shop can make me one that puts the ball to the right and with greater offset. This would place the phone optimally with the only downside being that it prevents use of the left side cup holder. I like this Ottie mount (from Amazon). The phone just snaps on to it making it very convenient when running errands and getting in and out of the car. Removing it is also a one handed operation. The second photo shows how I ran the USB cord to the 12V outlet in the passenger footwell for power.

What kind of Mount is those? I see their iOttie but I can't find them on the website.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:28 AM
Britdave
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but this is more of a question, please advise below, thanks Dave .

A few months ago, after having a 996 for years, I bought a slightly used 2017 911/991 gen 2 , with just 2,100 miles on it. The car is great, but I was wondering about a few things, since this is my first "automatic transmission" 911 ?
First off, on a cold start, the engine revs way up (something that I know is NOT a good thing for a cold engine ) and will hold the higher revs (2000-2500 RPM approximately ) for about 15-20 seconds before going to about 750 rpm, is this normal ?

The other thing is when I nail it,'put my foot down , accelerate, the engine holds the lower gear, and high rpm , for a few seconds, even after I get off the throttle, and takes a few seconds to come back down, is this also normal ? BTW on the heading I wrote "downshifting" I meant up shifting, so it didn't hold those high revs
Perhaps it is supposed to do this, so it might sound dumb on my part ? Holding the higher rpms and gear , for a few seconds, after I let off the throttle just seems abnormal ? But why should the rpms go so high on dead cold start, a few days after the last time I started it ? As I know ,initial start up high revs are not good.
Thanks for any advice on this issue, cheers Dave
Old 04-15-2018, 06:48 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Britdave
Sorry but this is more of a question, please advise below, thanks Dave .

A few months ago, after having a 996 for years, I bought a slightly used 2017 911/991 gen 2 , with just 2,100 miles on it. The car is great, but I was wondering about a few things, since this is my first "automatic transmission" 911 ?
First off, on a cold start, the engine revs way up (something that I know is NOT a good thing for a cold engine ) and will hold the higher revs (2000-2500 RPM approximately ) for about 15-20 seconds before going to about 750 rpm, is this normal ?

The other thing is when I nail it,'put my foot down , accelerate, the engine holds the lower gear, and high rpm , for a few seconds, even after I get off the throttle, and takes a few seconds to come back down, is this also normal ? BTW on the heading I wrote "downshifting" I meant up shifting, so it didn't hold those high revs
Perhaps it is supposed to do this, so it might sound dumb on my part ? Holding the higher rpms and gear , for a few seconds, after I let off the throttle just seems abnormal ? But why should the rpms go so high on dead cold start, a few days after the last time I started it ? As I know ,initial start up high revs are not good.
Thanks for any advice on this issue, cheers Dave
Have not noticed the high engine speed at startup. In terms of the acceleration the PDK adapts to your driving style very rapidly. So it assumes you wanted to be more aggressive and it is demonstrating it is ready to cooperate. If you don't follow through then it goes back to the more laid back approach.

Quick Reply: Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)