Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
I have only driven 200miles in the five weeks since collection (been on holiday and the car is in the custody of my friendly Greek dentist neighbour); however, it appeared to me that if the car is equipped with front/rear park assist and the car is in traffic, the stop/start feature operates in conjunction with park assist, recognising when the stationary car in front starts moving and starting my car - without my touching any pedal - in expectation of my wish to move ahead.

As I mention above, I had not sufficient time in the car in heavy traffic to confirm this but was startled to hear the engine fire up without any input. After mulling over this behaviour, this is what I concluded.
I'm pretty sure that is a response to the slight reduction of your pressure on the pedal when you see that car move. I've had that happen when a car in a turn lane starts to move, and I don't have the front parking assist.

It certainly is very subtle though. That's why I find it tolerable and don't bother suppressing it.

Gary
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do the headlights automatically turn on when 100mph is reached?!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know but you can manually turn off the windshield wipers after exceeding 80 mph since the wind will do the work for you.

Last edited by holminator; 01-02-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Realized I'm a know-it-all. Entering 12-step program today for the cure. :)
Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
do the headlights automatically turn on when 100mph is reached?!
140 kph, which is about 90 mph. Day or night. Also, in darkness:
The distribution characteristics of the driving light change [...] at vehicle speeds above approx. 80 mph (130 km/h).

The light beam becomes longer and the field of vision increases.
Gary
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
140 kph, which is about 90 mph. Day or night. Also, in darkness:

Gary
That is 10mph after the rear spoiler deploys.

If you pop the sunroof on a car with Sport PASM,the spoiler goes to a different angle, up another two inches.

It can been seen up out the rear view mirror. If you watch in the mirror it can be seen doing its thing.

Entertaining - for Porsche folk. Am embarrassed to tell anyone else I bought the car for this, except for 997 owners that is.

I am surprised there is not a disclaimer somewhere about not watching it!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
[...]
If you pop the sunroof on a car with Sport PASM,the spoiler goes to a different angle, up another two inches. [...]
Next year's manual!

Gary
The following users liked this post:
IXIXI (06-09-2021)
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
That is 10mph after the rear spoiler deploys.

If you pop the sunroof on a car with Sport PASM,the spoiler goes to a different angle, up another two inches.

It can been seen up out the rear view mirror. If you watch in the mirror it can be seen doing its thing.

Entertaining - for Porsche folk. Am embarrassed to tell anyone else I bought the car for this, except for 997 owners that is.

thats really cool!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I thought all sunroof equipped cars' spoilers changed angle depending on sunroof position?

Of course, the SPASM spoiler will extend further than the PASM either way.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 PM
boxterguy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You CAN lock a key within a car having Entry & Drive. Wife and I toured with car and each kept a key in pocket. Parked car in hotel garage (with wife standing nearby) while unknowingly left my key in center console. Hit the door button to lock and car locked with its usual "2 beeps". Hours later, realized I left my key in car and became concerned that anyone approaching car could unlock it and enter by merely lifting the handle. Went (alone) back to car and it was locked (while staring at key sitting in console). Got wife (with her key), went back to car, and it unlocked. Dealer explanation: With 1 key inside the car, and another key just outside the car, the outside key will override the inside key signal and allow the car to lock. You need to bring the other (outside) key back to the car to unlock it. Lesson learned...
Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 PM
p o r s c h e
4th Gear

Nice thread and clever little car from all I have been reading!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:09 PM
991rookie
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Carcam
Great tips!
10. If you only drive your PDK manually, your wife won't know it's an automatic and will never ask to drive it It's worked so far for me.
Hahahahah!!! Loved this one!
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
some facts I find interesting:

1: with paddle shifters optioned (PDK), you can pull both at same time and hold and car will go into neutral.
I tried throwing the C4S 991 I was driving at this years Quail Lodge, Porsche Zentrum - Pebble Beach, into neutral pulling back on both paddles in Sport Plus for the life of me it would not go into neutral. And I was testing what was written above.

Don't know what I was doing wrong either.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:18 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I tried throwing the C4S 991 I was driving at this years Quail Lodge, Porsche Zentrum - Pebble Beach, into neutral pulling back on both paddles in Sport Plus for the life of me it would not go into neutral. And I was testing what was written above.

Don't know what I was doing wrong either.
I think you have to pull both paddles back and then release them quickly to get the car in neutral. Then pull either paddle to get back in gear. That's how mine does it.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of good info here!!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Great tips!
10. If you only drive your PDK manually, your wife won't know it's an automatic and will never ask to drive it It's worked so far for me.
Doh! Not so with me. I knew I should not have taught my wife to drive a stick. Did use a friends beater Hyundai for the lesson though!

Quick Reply: Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)