Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

The key will not pop open the hood when the car is running.

Found that out yeserday when picking up the car at the dealership after the "changeover valve" campaign work. Naturally, I thought that it must be related and accosted the service manager, who informed me that that is the way nature intended it to work.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
The coolest thing my 911 does is accelerate really really fast, and stop really fast too.
Cool, basically useless, things cars "do" are for Lexus buyers based on my experience. Just a thought....
must be a 997 owner....
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fbroen
When manually extending spoiler for post-wash drying, retracted auto fold mirrors will swing out, too.
Why hadnt i thought of that, thats going to make drying the car a lot easier, thank you.

my contribution, if you use sport chrono, at the track for example, you get a screen that shows your route around the track, its pretty cool i just need to go back to the OM and figure out what to do with it.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
Why hadnt i thought of that, thats going to make drying the car a lot easier, thank you.

my contribution, if you use sport chrono, at the track for example, you get a screen that shows your route around the track, its pretty cool i just need to go back to the OM and figure out what to do with it.
What would be really cool is having the computer log my lap times automatically using that nav data, but I'm pretty sure it won't do that. Very likely picking up the start/finish crossing isn't precise enough for the millisecond lap timing we have come to expect these days. It could handle tenth-second reports, but then we'd be grumbling, so it asks us to press down with our thumb. Oh, the labor of owning a fine sports car.

Gary
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by simsgw
What would be really cool is having the computer log my lap times automatically using that nav data, but I'm pretty sure it won't do that. Very likely picking up the start/finish crossing isn't precise enough for the millisecond lap timing we have come to expect these days. It could handle tenth-second reports, but then we'd be grumbling, so it asks us to press down with our thumb. Oh, the labor of owning a fine sports car.

Gary
That would be very cool.
My instructor had a cool set up via his iphone that plugged into the car so you could have a recording of your session with data overlayed, rev, throttle brake etc. it was a lot cheaper than the traq data stuff, im going to look into that
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (01-06-2024)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
That would be very cool.
My instructor had a cool set up via his iphone that plugged into the car so you could have a recording of your session with data overlayed, rev, throttle brake etc. it was a lot cheaper than the traq data stuff, im going to look into that
Limey- Please post the dedails the iPhone set up when you get them.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Limey- Please post the dedails the iPhone set up when you get them.
Here is the link
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Im figuring out what exactly is needed to video /time laps with data overlay.
Will let you know when i get answer

cheers
Old 12-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you pull the emergency trunk release inside the frunk (small glow in the dark lever), it also releases the engine cover at the same time. Not sure why this is.....
Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 AM
cksuen
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw

Gary
There is a cool website that is supposed to be able to process and analyze the data that you can download to usb if you have sports chrono. It is designed for 997.2 cars but I suspect it should work with 991s as well.

https://www.chronolyze.com

I agree that the data probably does not have the resolution of a dedicated gps track timer but it seems to contain rpm data, steering angle and gear selected as well which is quite cool.

Lawrence
Old 01-01-2013, 03:30 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cksuen
There is a cool website that is supposed to be able to process and analyze the data that you can download to usb if you have sports chrono. It is designed for 997.2 cars but I suspect it should work with 991s as well.

https://www.chronolyze.com

I agree that the data probably does not have the resolution of a dedicated gps track timer but it seems to contain rpm data, steering angle and gear selected as well which is quite cool.

Lawrence
Thanks for that link, Lawrence. I look forward to figuring out how to use SC that way. On my first attempt, it downloaded the most trivial of files. I'll play with it and see how to stimulate it to collect the precision data that application obviously expects.

Happy new year,

Gary
Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

When hill hold engaged and foot off the brake the brake lights do not extinguish until the car moves. Similarly when car engine is auto stopped the brake lights do not go off until car restarted
Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
When hill hold engaged and foot off the brake the brake lights do not extinguish until the car moves. Similarly when car engine is auto stopped the brake lights do not go off until car restarted
This is really a neat feature so that others around you are aware!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rnl
As someone said, that first one is a good idea, so as not to mislead other drivers. The second one... well, that sounds like a null statement. I'm not sure what it would mean. The engine restarts as soon as I lower the brake pressure even slightly, long before the brake light would go off without the auto start/stop feature. Well... I say 'long' but we're talking fractions of a second of course.

Gary
Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

I have only driven 200miles in the five weeks since collection (been on holiday and the car is in the custody of my friendly Greek dentist neighbour); however, it appeared to me that if the car is equipped with front/rear park assist and the car is in traffic, the stop/start feature operates in conjunction with park assist, recognising when the stationary car in front starts moving and starting my car - without my touching any pedal - in expectation of my wish to move ahead.

As I mention above, I had not sufficient time in the car in heavy traffic to confirm this but was startled to hear the engine fire up without any input. After mulling over this behaviour, this is what I concluded.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure about that. The car will start if the battery charge passes below a threshold, ie, with the alternator "off" while the engine is stopped at a light, the battery continues to drain until the threshold is passed.

Spyder

Quick Reply: Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)