Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:31 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
I cant see the spoiler up unless Im driving next to reflective windows- who can see it in their mirror?
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The top edge of the spoiler appears in the back window through the rear view mirror when it is up- eg over 75 mph and can't tell when it goes down at 50 mph. I can see it go up additionally when I raise the sunroof, too.

I will admit that it is probably stupid to peer into the center mirror every time I am approaching 75 or go below 50 to try to catch it in motion, but...
It will be harder to get a vid made, but...
In the theme of the thread and more info on this topic: The deployed height of the spoiler is higher on SPASM cars than on cars without it. And as chuckbdc points out, if you open the sunroof it raises even higher.

On 991.2 models, the spoiler will raise at much lower speeds if you are driving aggressively to allow more air into the intercooler intakes underneath the spoiler.

Since I'm fairly tall and have a SPASM car, the spoiler is pretty easily seen in the rearview mirror.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

I think most people know about the kickdown feature in our PDK cars (press accelerator past full throttle) to get max acceleration. I'm not sure everyone is aware that you can briefly increase the responsiveness of the car by very quickly depressing and releasing the accelerator. I don't know how far you have to depress but I don't think I go all the way to the floor when I do it. Also, it's not like the new sport response button on the 991.2 where you get it for 20 seconds. When you use your foot, you need to use the responsiveness or it quickly reverts back to normal.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:15 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I think most people know about the kickdown feature in our PDK cars (press accelerator past full throttle) to get max acceleration. I'm not sure everyone is aware that you can briefly increase the responsiveness of the car by very quickly depressing and releasing the accelerator. I don't know how far you have to depress but I don't think I go all the way to the floor when I do it. Also, it's not like the new sport response button on the 991.2 where you get it for 20 seconds. When you use your foot, you need to use the responsiveness or it quickly reverts back to normal.
I have used this "trick" since the tiptronic days. quick stab and release gets you to the lowest possible gear at the current rpm
Old 04-07-2018, 03:42 AM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

One grip I have with the Porsche is that it lacks of Auto-hold feature like Bmw, I’m so used to this and putting my foot on brake pedal is very tiring. But guess what? Porsche has it too! At stop, just press the brake hard enough until ‘hold’ shows up in gauge, that’s it, now take your foot off and relax
Old 04-07-2018, 04:39 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexLou
One grip I have with the Porsche is that it lacks of Auto-hold feature like Bmw, I’m so used to this and putting my foot on brake pedal is very tiring. But guess what? Porsche has it too! At stop, just press the brake hard enough until ‘hold’ shows up in gauge, that’s it, now take your foot off and relax
I love this feature.

991.2 only though.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:44 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Works on my 991.1, too.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:26 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Works on my 991.1, too.
What year? Doesn't work on '13 C4S
Old 04-07-2018, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Works on my 991.1, too.
on a 991.1, you can’t intentionally trigger the “hold” option. It is still there and kicks on if you came to a stop on an incline. I really liked it in the 991.2 where you pump the brake twice and it holds you at a stoplight, for example. Is that maybe the way you experienced it?
Old 04-07-2018, 05:26 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
wouldnt the easy solution be to just place the key somewhere when washing?
Yes. The owner's manual says to leave the key inside the car while washing the exterior. Easy fix. I'd be afraid to get the key wet if I kept it in my pocket while washing the car.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:39 PM
achtung6
Racer

Default Wireless Charging Phone Mount on Rennline Mount

Originally Posted by TsaiCo

Here is a picture to illustrate
I went with a similar solution but using the Rennline phone mount as I prefer this to using the AC vents (don't know if it's a good idea to have cold air blowing on the phone due to condensation concerns, etc.). I wish the ball mount could be oriented to the right for better viewing of the PCM. It's not too obtrusive but I would like it not to cover any area of the screen. I reached out to Rennline but they are not open to making a different bracket for me. I may just try to see if a machine shop can make me one that puts the ball to the right and with greater offset. This would place the phone optimally with the only downside being that it prevents use of the left side cup holder. I like this Ottie mount (from Amazon). The phone just snaps on to it making it very convenient when running errands and getting in and out of the car. Removing it is also a one handed operation. The second photo shows how I ran the USB cord to the 12V outlet in the passenger footwell for power.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:50 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung6
I went with a similar solution but using the Rennline phone mount as I prefer this to using the AC vents (don't know if it's a good idea to have cold air blowing on the phone due to condensation concerns, etc.). I wish the ball mount could be oriented to the right for better viewing of the PCM. It's not too obtrusive but I would like it not to cover any area of the screen. I reached out to Rennline but they are not open to making a different bracket for me. I may just try to see if a machine shop can make me one that puts the ball to the right and with greater offset. This would place the phone optimally with the only downside being that it prevents use of the left side cup holder. I like this Ottie mount (from Amazon). The phone just snaps on to it making it very convenient when running errands and getting in and out of the car. Removing it is also a one handed operation. The second photo shows how I ran the USB cord to the 12V outlet in the passenger footwell for power.

me too, the wireless charging seems like a way to get your phone charge now a days, I guess the heating elements of wireless charging was something I would want to air to cool off with air vent. plus, you know the iphone, they get overheated under the sun like 3 seconds...lol....having something to blow on it, was thinking it might help....?!?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:11 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Interestingly, another change in the 991.2 is the removal of the kickdown feature in manual mode. The button under the pedal is gone (my brain still expects it to be there and it's a bit of a surprise when I don't feel it). When in manual mode it won't kick down even if you fully floor it. Of course in automatic mode there is still kickdown like you'd expect but pushing through the button isn't part of the PDK's decision to do this any more.
The following users liked this post:
regajohn (03-15-2023)
Old 04-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

With auto start/stop engaged in 7th gear, pulling the upshift + paddle will immediately engage the coast feature. Pulling either paddle will re-engage 7th gear.
I had always had to hold the throttle steady and lift off the pedal to engage the coast feature. It would not always engage the coast feature.
Driving the 40 miles of freeway to Fresno I have seen 29 to 30 mpg even when using cruise control. With auto stop/start coast turned on I get 2 mpg better mileage keeping up with the often 85 mph traffic. The coast feature really does increase mileage. The start/stop feature in town is not so much fun.

A few weeks ago I was returning from Los Angeles heading north on I-5. At the top of the Tejon Grade I re-set the trip meter to zero on the PCM and let it coast down the 7+ mile grade towards Bakersfield. It showed 99.9 mpg the whole way down the hill . . . until I was touching 93 mph and chickened out re-engaging 7th gear.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:05 PM
achtung6
Racer

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
me too, the wireless charging seems like a way to get your phone charge now a days, I guess the heating elements of wireless charging was something I would want to air to cool off with air vent. plus, you know the iphone, they get overheated under the sun like 3 seconds...lol....having something to blow on it, was thinking it might help....?!?
All very good points. I think there is something there and it's true that the iphone when exposed to the heat coming through the windshield does overheat quickly. I'm not a fan of suction cup mounts on the windshield for this reason.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

If you walk through a parking lot, every single other car there has an A pillar that meets flush with the quarter panel... the 991’s dives below it.

Quick Reply: Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)