rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal

Items Needed:

91% isopropyl alcohol (must be 91%)
Microfiber cloth or similar
Patience

1: Take the cloth, soak with 91% and rub sticker back and forth (not rubbing sticker off but just soaking it with 91%, reapply new alcohol to the pad and keep rubbing (alcohol will evaporate and not be as strong)

2: After maybe 1-2 minutes you should be able to peel off the sticker in one swipe..

3: If it comes off in pieces, it will leave residue behind, to remove residue soak with 91% again and after 30 seconds of soaking then rub the cloth harder against surface to remove, but not hard enough to stretch the "pleather".

4: Now you dont have those tacky visor stickers anymore!

Horrible Cell pic:
Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Awesome tip, thanks! No damage or residue whatsoever to the visors?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been waiting 21 yrs for this info so that I can remove the damn stickers on my 21 yo NSX
Old 06-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I have factory leather visors in Carrera Red on my Spyder. As much as I would like to remove the nanny sticker, I am worried about damaging the leather with something like 91% isopropyl alcohol. Has anyone had a good experience removing the warning label from a leather visor and what have they used?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 PM
nfldcoffee
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Or you can buy cover-up decals on ebay Item number: 130707606483 from boxsterbob1999
Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM
nfldcoffee
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Why take a chance and damage your sunvisor with chemicals trying to remove airbag warning labels, buy the cover-ups .
Old 06-10-2012, 12:18 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm i think thats illegal!!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 AM
il cattivo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks rijowysock, this looks like it works great on the standard visors. I had the leather visors in my last Porsche and always wanted to take them off but was afraid I'd damage them and never tried. The Porsche.com configurator doesn't even show leather visors as an available option on the 991. If the leather visor option got killed off I will definitely do this removal on my next car.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:07 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 97c2s993
Awesome tip, thanks! No damage or residue whatsoever to the visors?
nothing at all, breaks the bond and comes off in one piece.. i had residue on one side cause sticker tore but it came off in 5 mins.. the 91% doesnt remove anything off the visor... does not affect the pleather as long as your not rough w/ it (i wouldnt scrub, i just keep it wet and then wait for glue bond to come off.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Z356
I have factory leather visors in Carrera Red on my Spyder. As much as I would like to remove the nanny sticker, I am worried about damaging the leather with something like 91% isopropyl alcohol. Has anyone had a good experience removing the warning label from a leather visor and what have they used?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
should not remove the finish, but stronger would... why not test it like on the front of the seat underneath where wraps around... just rub with a white cloth for 2 minutes and keep checking for red... no red=no problem.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:10 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nfldcoffee
Why take a chance and damage your sunvisor with chemicals trying to remove airbag warning labels, buy the cover-ups .
i like them gone to be clean looking, not to cover up.. right now mine is all uniform... thats the way i like it.. not covered up.

the "airbag light" however, electrical tape all the way because it's annoying and too bright at night.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
I cleaned those off my natural leather visors several years ago (997). The materials are essentially the same.

Just take your time and use something like brake cleaner to break down the solvents in the stickers. Just take your time and apply in small amounts. Treat the area later with a good leather conditioner.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:26 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I cleaned those off my natural leather visors several years ago (997). The materials are essentially the same.

Just take your time and use something like brake cleaner to break down the solvents in the stickers. Just take your time and apply in small amounts. Treat the area later with a good leather conditioner.
brake cleaner!!!!??? brake cleaner takes off paint in 2 seconds!

stick with the alcohol, it wont hurt anything and just condition after.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Items Needed:

91% isopropyl alcohol (must be 91%)
Microfiber cloth or similar
Patience

1: Take the cloth, soak with 91% and rub sticker back and forth (not rubbing sticker off but just soaking it with 91%, reapply new alcohol to the pad and keep rubbing (alcohol will evaporate and not be as strong)

2: After maybe 1-2 minutes you should be able to peel off the sticker in one swipe..

3: If it comes off in pieces, it will leave residue behind, to remove residue soak with 91% again and after 30 seconds of soaking then rub the cloth harder against surface to remove, but not hard enough to stretch the "pleather".

4: Now you dont have those tacky visor stickers anymore!
Great info. I used the exact process Riley describes on both my previous '99 996 and my '09 997 to remove the stickers. Two additional tips: You can use a Que tip dipped in alcohol to "paint" the contact line where the sticker meets the visor as you peel it off, which eases the process. Also, be sure not to get alcohol on the hinges for the flip down mirror if you decide to do that side as it can dissolve the glue which holds them in place.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 AM
jmm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
brake cleaner!!!!??? brake cleaner takes off paint in 2 seconds!

stick with the alcohol, it wont hurt anything and just condition after.
He said brake cleaner, not brake fluid.

Quick Reply: DIY: Visor Warning Stickers Removal