Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's starting to happen -- the 997 looking old(er)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't think anyone thinks Harris will run out and trade his 4.0. The observation was just a general one, that, in my view, the 997 has started its transition to classic 911 rather than looking like the current one.

And a classic it will be, the 997. One of the better looking iterations in my opinion. In particular the GT3. And then even more so the 4.0.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GT3 2010 is a tough looking car. Couldn't see myself changing one of those out for a 991/S least of all changing a GT3 RS 4.0 for one. Putting aside the aesthetics, the ultimate driving experience and the unquestionable street/track cred of the GT3/RS/4.0 etc what does have a 991 really have other than being the latest, most comfortable and technologically advanced 911 car ever made?

991 certainly doesn't hold any edge in the presence stakes on the above, however, if i was in a 997 or 997S then (IMHO) that's an entirely different set of circumstances. The superseded 997/S car is perfectly fine on its own, but park it alongside a 991 and it's clearly outdone on all fronts. Who could honestly argue otherwise, and sustain a credible argument.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
The superseded 997/S car is perfectly fine on its own, but park it alongside a 991 and it's clearly outdone on all fronts. Who could honestly argue otherwise, and sustain a credible argument.
If you are talking about performance and comfort, then I would agree with you. If you are talking about appearance, then I think there is a fair argument to make for the 997.

The 991 interior and exterior hasn't grown on me yet. I agree that moving the wheels out gives it a more contempory look, but the overall styling is a bit ho hum. It's hard to explain, but the 997S looks more like a 911 should. Maybe because with the wheels moved out it looks like every other car in its class.

On the interior, it really does look too much like my VW CC. Don't believe me. Go look at the interior of a CC. Yes, the craftsmanship and quality of materials are top notch. The styling... It's nice but not unique. The 997 had a very nicely appointed and styled interior that was unique to the 997.

I think there is a lot of styling potential for the GT and turbo models. But the 991.1 styling doesn't really make me want one.

On edit: I should acknowledge, that I do like the new cab much better than the coupe. It has some visual interest.

Last edited by SSST; 05-20-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:38 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
If you are talking about performance and comfort, then I would agree with you. If you are talking about appearance, then I think there is a fair argument to make for the 997.

The 991 interior and exterior hasn't grown on me yet. I agree that moving the wheels out gives it a more contempory look, but the overall styling is a bit ho hum. It's hard to explain, but the 997S looks more like a 911 should. Maybe because with the wheels moved out it looks like every other car in its class.

On the interior, it really does look too much like my VW CC. Don't believe me. Go look at the interior of a CC. Yes, the craftsmanship and quality of materials are top notch. The styling... It's nice but not unique. The 997 had a very nicely appointed and styled interior that was unique to the 997.

I think there is a lot of styling potential for the GT and turbo models. But the 991.1 styling doesn't really make me want one.
I think the key point and question being asked here is, performance and comforts aside, does the 991 date the 997?

Also, putting aside the minority/majority likes and dislikes of the old styling vs new the answer appears to be a resounding clear yes, that the 991 essentially dates the 997 in standard form and, by quite a bit. Thats not say say anyone that owns an earlier car should take it directly down to the scrapyard, far from it. But it does need to be acknowledged that Porsche has once again successfully managed to produce a more contemporary car that is also seen and recognised by the wider audience as being a later version car.

One can always argue the finer points such as this that and the other about the interior and how the newer 991 has removed/cured the less desirable traits (in a performance sense) vs the predecessor. However, whilst all 911's are recognised as 911's and seen as objects of beauty, some more so than others, the new 991 is a marked (and visually) more contemporary car for today and the next 7 years. OK well ...maybe not 7 years as the competition always seems to throw a spanner in the works along the way....plus people become overly familiar with the car at one point to where it blends into less significance....and then earlier cars blend even into a lesser significance again....altho remaining generally attractive enough to get the next persons attention. One of the key successes of the 911. It's beauty is essentially timeless regardless of model.

Re the upcoming turbo and GT3/2 cars etc, and the styling potentials etc, when these cars surface the same arguments will come forth as always. Ooh i dint like the new spoiler or eww i don't like the colour of the wheel nuts...and so it goes..

Anyway....talking base and S model 991 Carreras vs base and S model 997's, in a styling sense the 991 car has successfully dated the predecessor and, few would argue that hasn't happened and sustain credibility in the eyes of 99.999% of the population. And agree....there will always be a minority group that will always swim against the tide.

Just saying....
Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 AM
SSST
Drifting

We'll have to agree to disagree on the styling. It's a subjective thing though. Time will tell whether the 991 styling is as timeless as its predecessors.

One thing is clear. They won't be going back. If its like the 996.1 which is also a bit plain and was even more controversial, aero kits and tweeked styling cues will create some character.

I just wish Porsche had remembered that particular history lesson when they were styling the 991.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Any 997 still looks way better than the BMW or Mercedes in the video. Don't know what OP is talking about. To >90% of public, 997 looks exactly the same as 991.

When you remove those sunglasses with Porsche stickers covering the lenses then you'll see that the AMG looks far better than either of the other two.

FAR better.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
While it may look more modern and ride better, it still doesn't match the driving experience of a 997 GT3. Maybe that will change with the 991 GT3 makes and appearance, but until then this is the honest truth.
It's not supposed to match the driving experience of the GT3. The GT3 is an experience all to it's own.

I will however note that the 991S with sport exhaust does an exceptional job of recreating the GT3 in cabin soundtrack. Obviously the new SI feature helps with that.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
When you remove those sunglasses with Porsche stickers covering the lenses then you'll see that the AMG looks far better than either of the other two.

FAR better.
Sorry but that's funny. AMG is nice and so is the BMW. But neither are in the same league for me.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:42 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

FAR better.
ummm...okey dokey.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Sorry but that's funny. AMG is nice and so is the BMW. But neither are in the same league for me.
Agree.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Porsche glasses are to be expected here, but I'd bet the non Porsche biased enthusiasts would not agree.

At least Mercedes can make a car look distinguished without throwing on a gigantic wing and a bunch of stickers.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:36 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Porsche glasses are to be expected here, but I'd bet the non Porsche biased enthusiasts would not agree.

At least Mercedes can make a car look distinguished without throwing on a gigantic wing and a bunch of stickers.
Your userid is too perfect.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

FAR better.
If this is a true opinion from you, then your cataract is now due for surgery.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Your userid is too perfect.
Maybe so, I own a 996 Turbo and don't like Mercedes. Just calling it like I see it. Sorry if your feelings are hurt.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 PM
SSST
Drifting

I actually think Porsche, BMW, and MB all bring something a little different to the table and shouldn't try to be each other. Otherwise we will end up with this mishmash of capabilities and no one will do any one thing brilliantly.

I've have all three at the same time and enjoy them each for different reasons. Still have the MB and the Porsche.

Quick Reply: It's starting to happen -- the 997 looking old(er)