Sponsored by:

Euro Delivery, Some Pics and Random Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Day three. Part two, Italy.

After the Brenner pass, we get off the Autostrada and take some smaller Italian country roads. We arrive at Lake Garda. Lago di Garda is the largest lake in Italy -- and the views are pretty awesome.

We stopped at Riva del Garda for lunch at the marina.

We drove down the west side of the Lake, along Via Quattro Novembre. Say about 40 tunnels in 40 minutes. Extraordinary road, really, lake on the one side and steep mountain sides on the other, with exits and entries --all in tunnels -- in some spots.

Got stuck behind a slower vehicle for a while, and couldn't resist a pass despite the solid line -- overly-slow-guy was rapidly dealt with.... And yes, also did some Jeremy Clarkson-style, windows down, tunnel blasting.

Snapped this shot at the south end of the lake, right before a Polizia car pulled up and the two officers gave us a look that made it abundantly clear that the steam boat landing was not meant for such nonsense.

After the lake, we went west on the Autostrada past Bergamo, home of Brembo S.p.A., and happened to spot the Brembo factory.

Some of the stretches were rougher. For fun, deiced to try the stiffer suspension settings on an unsettled piece of road. Conclusion of this pointless, straight line test -- yep, dampers in "Sport" setting are markedly stiffer...

We shoot past Milan in pretty heavy, albeit very fast moving (and fast weaving) traffic. We roll into Como, find a gas station, and fill up on some Senza Piombo gas.

We had planned on spending some time in Como, but traffic was heavy, distance between vehicles seemed to shrink by the minute, and Vespas were swirling around the car at mere inches -- all contributing to give proud owners of shiny new car some pause. To top it off, any parking spots (all filled) seemed to be sized for the Fiat Cinquecento (the original one)...

Not that any of this was unexpected, but nonetheless, we decided that a rental car would be much better there, and instead crossed into Switzerland and stopped at Lugano for the night.

Second day with car tally: 466 km / 290 miles.

Last edited by fbroen; 05-02-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

GREAT write up. Thanks!!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen

TSpyder -- good choice on Euro Delivery -- can you tell we thought it was great? What are you picking up?
Yes, your enthusiasm is infectious

We'll be picking up a 2013 DBM C2S coupe in Zuffenhausen. I'll write up all the options, and the rationale behind the agonizing process of checking, unchecking, and rechecking all those little boxes in the configurator when I get a chance.

Meanwhile keep those reports coming. I'll be covering some of the same territory as you. I couple of mos ago, I drove through the Brenner pass on my way to Cortina for the slopes. Believe me, what Mr' Hertz had for me will not compare with the new P-car. HA!

Map images are very helpful btw.

Spyder
Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Great write up. I'd love to do that! One question holes in the front bumper? Is that mandatory? We don't have front plates in FL; that would drive me crazy.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Jackson22
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is amazing!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 AM
neuneleven
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Herzlichen Glueckwunch!
Many more miles and years in your new car and thanks for taking us along for your ride! Wonderful pics and wonderful write up!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all for your comments and feedback. I am glad folks enjoy.

TSpyder -- Congratulations. I bet June 20 can't come soon enough.

Cmb13 -- Re bumper question, in short, yes. See post #25.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

fbroen, did you get a window sticker/vignette for driving in Austria? I recall that I had to do that when I drove through the country after taking Euro delivery of a 535.

Love the narrative and images. Keep up the good work.

Spyder
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

I am happily clueless about any vignette stickers. How long ago was the 535 pickup?

I will say though, having grown up in Europe, I still find it very cool crossing borders w/o former passport checkpoints.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I had to get an Austrian 'Autobahn' windshield sticker when I took ED of my M3 in 2001. Left it on there for the four years I had it - was a very cool little reminder of the trip every time I got into the car
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I will say though, having grown up in Europe, I still find it very cool crossing borders w/o former passport checkpoints.
It's very funny you say that, as I was thinking the same thing until I got to Switzerland. Brought back some old memories. Love the pics and logs. Drove a lot of the same tracks. Cheers.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 PM
E in Phila
Advanced

GREAT thread, thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Day four. Part one, Switzerland.

After an early morning run along the Lugano lake promenade, we set the destination for Luzern.

The Nav is quite good, and, importantly, the passenger can access the functions while the car is moving. Getting nav instructions showing in the secondary screen in the instrument cluster is handy. Overall, the PCM is a huge improvement over the rather archaic version we had in the 997.1. There are a bunch of settings and setups for the car functions that we didn't bother with while on vacation -- I see some time in the driveway for fiddling with all that.

Weather was dreary as we headed towards the St. Gotthard Pass/Tunnel. Unfortunately, the pass itself was still closed for the season (about 7000 feet altitude), so no dice on the pass, or the Devil's Bridge.

At 10.2 miles, the tunnel is the third longest in the world. We're running low on fuel -- Como refill was only partial, as we couldn't get the pump to accept any of our cards, and put in some cash -- so we want to make sure we are stocked for the tunnel.

The rest stop shop sold 5kg / 11 lbs Nutella containers(!). Perhaps this local Aston was there to stock up on chocolate bread spread?

It took us 13 mins 17 second to go through the tunnel. We go through several more shorter tunnels, and the lights auto on-off is very accurate and quick. The rain sensor for the wipers, too. And for that matter, the temperature sensors in the cabin are quite responsive as well. In and out of sunshine, there is just a very slight delay and the ambient temp is back on set spec.

As we exit the last tunnel in the series, the weather is much improved and we take some side roads for fun.

We arrive at Luzern and pull into a parking garage. A short oh crap moment, as the ramp breakovers are steep. We proceed slowly, no dreaded scrape.

We happened upon a great restaurant quay side by the Chapel Bridge, the oldest covered wooden bride in Europe, says Wiki, first erected in the 14th Century. The outdoor seating in the sun is too good to pass up, and we end up enjoying a 4 course lunch.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:00 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

I am happily clueless about any vignette stickers. How long ago was the 535 pickup?
Picked up the 535 in the summer of '07. Looks like the vignette thingy is still operational...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignette_%28road_tax%29

Spyder
Old 05-04-2012, 12:04 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Ah, looking at that writeup, I do remember those things on my parents' cars back in the day.

We were lucky not to get called on our ignorance this trip. We did pay a decent amount in tolls in non-vignette countries though.

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery, Some Pics and Random Thoughts