Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the launch mode on the PDK? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/690083-has-anyone-tried-the-launch-mode-on-the-pdk.html)

jcf7 04-07-2012 07:21 PM

Has anyone tried the launch mode on the PDK?

Re-post
I'm at 1300 miles and haven't tried the PDK launch mode yet. Pls let me know if you have and your thoughts. Thanks,

spourreza 04-07-2012 08:32 PM

No and I heard for resale, it's not good. Heard they can count the amount of launch controls the car has done. Dealer told me.

bensf 04-07-2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by spourreza (Post 9427239)
No and I heard for resale, it's not good. Heard they can count the amount of launch controls the car has done. Dealer told me.

Our cars definitely log the number of launch controls performed. That information was a prerequisite before Porsche would replace my PDK under warranty.

991 3Turbo 04-07-2012 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by bensf (Post 9427274)
Our cars definitely log the number of launch controls performed. That information was a prerequisite before Porsche would replace my PDK under warranty.

Thats funny. A member on here said they replaced his PDK, and that Porsche didn't care how many times you launched it, and that Porsche made their cars to drive. Is their a maximum number of times before it voids the warranty?

rijowysock 04-07-2012 11:20 PM

considering the only perk for sport chrono was: launch control/adaptive mounts and a wart...

launch it!... it's created to be launched and the system is setup to not cause much harm, it lets out and grabs based on the computer sensing whats what... just do it.. and if the dealer tries to offer you less at trade because of launches then sell it privately and make 10k extra anyways..

dealers will always find a reason to lower a trade value or deny a warranty claim but the law is on your side on the warranty, since the car comes w/ that option and the manual tells you how to do it, GTR law comes into play and they cannot deny warranty because of it (unless you alter something)

bensf 04-08-2012 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo (Post 9427557)
Thats funny. A member on here said they replaced his PDK, and that Porsche didn't care how many times you launched it, and that Porsche made their cars to drive. Is their a maximum number of times before it voids the warranty?

That information wasn't conveyed to me by the dealer as I had not done any launch controls at the time nor have since the replacement. It's not a feature that I particularly care about. If I had performed launch controls, I'm not sure if they would have used it as a basis to deny a claim. All I know is that Porsche would not ship the new PDK unit until the dealer relayed that information to them. Just passing along the information that our cars do indeed log the number of launch controls that are performed. :cheers:

SSST 04-08-2012 12:09 AM

Why would a mfgr offer a feature that affects the warranty? I call bravo sierra on that statement.

bensf 04-08-2012 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by SSST (Post 9427625)
Why would a mfgr offer a feature that affects the warranty? I call bravo sierra on that statement.

Just letting everyone know what was required to have my PDK replaced under warranty thus confirming spourreza's post that our cars do indeed log how many launch controls that are performed. As stated above, I'm unsure if Porsche would have used it as a basis to deny a claim but it was absolutely required that the dealer relay the number of launch controls that were performed before my replacement transmission was shipped.

packwest 04-08-2012 03:12 AM

I'm sure there are numerous reasons that are unrelated to the warranty itself as to why Porsche would want the launch control info, such as engineering analysis, product improvement, or claim against the PDK supplier, who knows. If I were a Porsche engineer or bean counter, and I had to replace a $20k + piece of equipment each time, I sure would want to know why the system failed...and the first thing I look at is the number of launches the system took.

Kelderek 04-08-2012 04:38 AM

I would think that numerous "manual" red-light launches performed by a sloppy and unexperienced driver will hurt the car much more than the same amount of Launch Control starts... After all, the Launch Controls will make sure that whatever happens during the launch happens within the limits set by the Porsche engineers.

I agree with packwest: Porsche wants the number of Launch Control starts on a failed PDK for the purpose of collecting data that is valuable to the process of analysing why their products fail. Not necessarily to nail a single owner and void his warranty.

cappy1 04-08-2012 11:47 AM

My 2011 911S manual recommends keeping it below 4,200 RPM for the first 2,000 miles. That might give Porsche a leg to stand on it you have used Launch Control during that period and have a failure of some sort. However, they do not require you to follow this break-in procedure, but I followed it anyway...really a PITA as I took Euro Delivery and was passed by most everyone on the autobahn.

Scott997 04-09-2012 08:28 PM

I launched it countless times since I got it. I promise you the car wont blow up. You guys are so lame sometimes!!! have some fun!

97c2s993 04-09-2012 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by cappy1 (Post 9428180)
My 2011 911S manual recommends keeping it below 4,200 RPM for the first 2,000 miles... they do not require you to follow this break-in procedure, but I followed it anyway...really a PITA as I took Euro Delivery and was passed by most everyone on the autobahn.

That had to be so painful, and on the autobahn too!! Has to be the most painful part about Euro delivery!!
I've just passed 2,000 miles, didn't 'launch it' yet (but that's coming), however I didn't keep it totally under 4,200 RPM the whole time either letting it really 'get some air' a few times...it's been a thrill.
Had my 993 on the autobahn (it's sitting in Switzerland) and had that up to 140 MPH on there...impossible to resist!! Only too bad we can't do too much of that here stateside!

jcf7 04-09-2012 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by 97c2s993 (Post 9432194)
That had to be so painful, and on the autobahn too!! Has to be the most painful part about Euro delivery!!
I've just passed 2,000 miles, didn't 'launch it' yet (but that's coming), however I didn't keep it totally under 4,200 RPM the whole time either letting it really 'get some air' a few times...it's been a thrill.
Had my 993 on the autobahn (it's sitting in Switzerland) and had that up to 140 MPH on there...impossible to resist!! Only too bad we can't do too much of that here stateside!

I'm at 1,300 miles and haven't tried it. Please write when you do it.
Thanks,

jlamb 04-09-2012 11:15 PM

2100 miles to date. No launches as of yet. Need the right road