Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Boxster to 991 Cab ??

Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts
Default 981 Boxster to 991 Cab ??

After being a lurker for 5 years, I figured I could get some worthwhile feedback from RL folks about my next car. I fell in love with the handling as well as the ability to wind up the engine in the 981. Comparing my previous ride (325 HP modified Audi TTS) on the track a week before driving the more nimble and eager turning boxster on the same track sealed the deal for me a few years ago. Test driving is virtually impossible until the weather turns up here so, in the interim, I'm hoping some of you enthusiasts could provide comments on the fun factor of the 991 Cab. Clearly, keeping the 981 and getting a 991 could be the best of both worlds. This is a possibility; however, I would go with a lightly optioned 991.2 C2 coupe and that's pushing the self imposed budget. The alternative to having both would be to trade in the 981 on a 991 cab IF the cab has enough fun factor. There's a local really nicely optioned 2015 4S cabrio that caught my eye but pricing is up there and I'm not sure the heavier 4S cabrio will feel as nimble as a 991.2 C2 or close to the 981 that what I'm used to. I should mention that I have an 2017 Audi S3 for inclement weather and really don't see the need for a C4 nor could rationalize the depreciation hit of unloading it at this early stage. Any and all thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated ...
Old 02-07-2018, 01:53 PM
passion4audio
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a 2015 Cayman S (PDK) to a 2016 991.1 GTS (MT).

I added a couple of tasteful mods to the Cayman (DCS, front and rear sway bars from Schnell, etc). The mid-engine design, combined with these mods produced a car that was extremely balanced and nimble. It felt like a go-cart and was an absolute blast to drive!

To me, however - even in stock form - the 991.1 was on a different level. I felt my driving skills were being challenged on a much higher level. As I improved, the car stepped up. I’m not sure if I’ll ever be a good enough driver to reach this car’s capabilites.

In the 991.1 you hit the corners a little slower, but are able to “punch it” just inside and use the rear engine to whip it around, accelerating hard out of the corners. This, perhaps, requires a little more technique from the driver and thus is more enjoyable.

The 4S will take away (a little) from the experience. The cabriolet (although very cool) will also sacrifice some of the nimbleness and handling capabilities of the coupe.

I guess choices depend on how YOU enjoy driving - to the limit on challenging mountain roads, or “fast cruising” where the cabriolet or 4S would be more than fine.

Overall, to me, the 991.1 checked off all the right boxes.

Last edited by passion4audio; 02-07-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

^Thx P4A. I too did some suspension work on my 981. After driving both the base and S on track, I went with the base for the gearing with great handling rather than the improved power/ acceleration and taller gearing which would be the obvious choice for the track. Searching for pre-owned cars with a manual and sport plus seats has provided a very small number of cars to consider (both north and south of the 49th). Also, pricing of a new 991.2 C2 appears to be similar if not substantially less than ANY pre-owned 991 that has those "must have" options so I may end up ordering new and just wait what appears to be a minimum of a 4+ months for delivery. Hopefully, when back in Florida later this month, I'll see if I can do some test driving ...

Last edited by Stevelev; 02-07-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:10 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I started out in a 986S back in the day, then have been in Carreras and Turbos throughout the oughts and teens, culminating in a 991.1 GTS2 in 2015. Kept it for two years. Traded it even-up on a 981 GT4 last year. Having more fun than I ever had in a Carrera or Turbo, around town, in the mountains, and on track. I would assume a Boxster Spyder would feel the same if you want a droptop.

I really enjoyed my various 911s over the years. Honestly, I never liked any of them as well as I did my old Boxster S or my current GT4. But I'll admit having the 3.8 makes a good bit of difference in the goodness of the middies.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

Lots of good feedback here. You should drive them both and decide. I have a 13 Cab, MT, Sport Plus, PSE and love it. I did put the TechArt springs on it with HRE wheels. I also have a set of coil overs that I have not installed yet. I have tracked my Cab 2 times but spent a ton of time in the 991.1 and Cayman at the Porsche driving school. I prefer the 991. I will admit it's probably because I'm used to the weight in the back. I can get on the power faster out of a turn and I was frustrated that the Cayman wanted to rotate when I tried to apply power at the same point. Both cars are great but I'm a 911 guy.

Side note - I just had a 17 Cab delivered. My wife was threatening to drive my GT3 (PDK) because she cannot drive a manual. I picked up a 991.2 with the PDK. Point is I'm going to sell my silver/black 13 Cab with under 10K on it. I'd sell with with or without the extra stuff (HRE wheels, stock wheels, coil overs, stock springs, TechArt springs) etc... Never driven in the winter but it has been rained on... PM me if you are interested.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:05 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I can't compare the two cars because I've never driven a Boxster, but I'm on my third 991 Cab. Whether you get and S, base, 2 or 4 you'll totally enjoy driving the 991. Power, handling, ride, comfort and room for 4 in a pinch - it's pretty much the perfect car for me. I drive mine all year round unless there's snow, but there's nothing like those top down drives on a sunny day or warm night on the back roads of central Pennsylvania.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:22 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

I had a 981 Boxster S for 4 years and loved it . All the while I also kept my modded 997 Turbo . The Boxster was a really fun car . It was a high revving car with a nice exhaust note in a traditional 6 speed manual and in my opinion was also an amazing convertible . Unlike the 911 which i feel is best suited for a coupe the Boxster was the ideal mid engine roadster . The door sill height was perfect for reduced wind exposure and the cars balance was great.

I wrestled hard with the 718 . It was more than just the sound which most complain about . I felt the power delivery was off and it poorly mated to the PDK. Unlike the 911 Porsche never built a 4 cylinder mid engine roaster and it showed . Plus Porsche raised the price and made the Cayman pricing less than the Boxster which further detracted its appeal. The days of a bargain Boxster were over and the 718 just wasnt it for me .

I never was a a huge fan of the 991 . I thought about it a lot but ultimately I passed up the 991.1 for that 981 . The 991 was just too mature , too comfortable, and too far of a departure from earlier traditional 911 cars . But four years past , the miles and warranty were going on the 981 and i needed a new car . So I looked .

The 991.2 GTS is in my opinion the best daily driving 911 I have ever owned . Yep its mature and comfortable .. but I am older too . I welcome the comfort . the low end pull mates beautifully with PDK so if i were buying a smaller engine T I'd get a manual but with a GTS the PDK just works fantastic . The suspension is amazing !!! I have never driven a 911 with this much technological refinement . It's fast, comfortable , nimble, elegant , and I dont miss my Boxster one bit !!!

They are different cars so one must be prepared to expect a different car . Both great , no regrets !!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:44 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

I came from a 2014 981 Boxster S to a 2018 991.2 C4 Coupe. I kept my 981 so I have the added benefit of driving them back to back on many occasions. I echo yrralis1's comments above. I can't directly compare the 981 to the CAB but perhaps you can get something out of my observations below.

My 981 is the perfect roadster that the 911 will never be. Mid-engine, NA, Manual, 2-seater, red. Engine right behind your ear, screaming with PSE and SC in sport +. Nothing like it. It is on rails and just looks fantastic. Handles better than my 911, looks and sounds much better than my 991.2 (IMHO).

The 911 is the icon. Everybody knows it. It screams status and success. It is fast. Really fast. The low-end torque is just fantastic and it is much faster than the 981 on paper and as confirmed by my butt dyno. I can't really feel the rear end weight bias of the 911 until I start pushing the car to above 80% of car's capability. Sometimes when I enter a turn hard, all that rear weight startles me because I am used to my Boxster. But exiting the turn, you can plant all that rear weight on those humongous tires and power hard out of a turn. Driving them back to back hard in country roads, the handling differences become obvious. No big deal, just handles differently but noticeable. I've also driven both cars on the PEC-ATL track back to back including on the kick plate with no PSM engaged. I found that the mid-engine cars spin like a top and it is more difficult to exit a spin. The 911 was easier to get out of a spin. I could straighten it right out - no problem. I was surprised by this but it makes sense.

The cars offer totally different experiences. They drive and handle differently. For country road carving, I'd much rather be in my 981. For cruising and commuting, I'd rather be in the 911. It is quieter and a bit more luxurious and it has AWD for the occasional bad weather confidence.

For perspective, they both are manuals. I have 38k on my 981 and 6700 miles on my 911. I'm living the friggin dream.

Last edited by subshooter; 02-07-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Thx guys, lots of good input.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:26 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I test drove the 991.2 and loved it. For me, it was a big improvement over the 991.1. I was looking at the time for a DD. Ended up nixing that and getting the 981 Boxster Spyder instead, which I'm absolutely in love with (and just DD my Wrangler/Rover). Amazing little car though. I think my C2 config at the time was around $107k. Prefer the S brakes on the Spyder over the C2 brakes though, but I admit it wouldn't make a big difference on real world for me.

If I was forced into a 991.2, I would probably get a T and keep it a basic build with buckets. My $0.02. However, knowing you want a cab, I would just get a base C2. Try to find CPO '17.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:54 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by guab

If I was forced into a 991.2, I would probably get a T and keep it a basic build with buckets. My $0.02. However, knowing you want a cab, I would just get a base C2. Try to find CPO '17.
I have the toughest time digesting a 911 cab . Perhaps if one were buying a Turbo cab as a luxury boulevard cruiser it seems easier . It's not that I don't like having a convertible . i loved my 981 Boxster . I just don't feel the 911 is the convertible I would choose . There are so many reasons why ;

1) The structural compromises just arent worth it even if one lives in an ideal cab climate . The 911 was originally designed as a coupe and the Boxster was originally a cab . I feel the origins of the car speak volumes of where the car's success was built upon.

2) Rear visibility of a 911 coupe is amazing !! This was the first thing i noticed on the first time i ever drove a 911 . In contrast the Cab and blind spots go hand in hand .

3) The Cab ruins the lines of the 911 . It's so bad that i feel the car look better in all black . The top down appearance is like an old fashioned bathtub showing the hump of the rear engine . The coupe in contrast is this sexy curvy hipped car . In fact I happen to feel the GTS and 4S have the best rear end in the auto industry .

4) Wind exposure is not as good as the Boxster . The smaller cabin , high door sills , make for a gentle breeze in a Boxster . As a convertible it is the better convertible.

5) Price - It used to be a time where the Boxster cost less than the cayman but now Porsche got wise to that bargain . Now all coupes are priced less than cabs . So one pays more . The cost of the ragtop places the cab right into a trim bump for a coupe.

6) Advantages of a cab - that fun Sunday drive .
Disadvantages -- In a cold climate its not an everyday thing and in a warm climate the risk of skin cancer increases .
The coupe just runs off the with prize on the disadvantages and still can give a fun Sunday drive.

Conclusion -- You want a cab ? Keep the 981 !! Save the money. The 718 isn't worth the swap . Neither is a 911 Cab .
if the 981 starts giving reliability concern then a base 718 gives a value Cab without too much financial exposure . A 90K 718S is a depreciation nightmare exspecially with all the 718 controversy . A bisic spec base 718 will be a better convertible, as fast as the 981S , and save thousands .Dont get a PDK though . The 718 PDK sucks !! I'd opt for a basic spec manual and save the money for the next car.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:09 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

If you love the characteristics of the flat 6 then you may get really bored with a 991.2 as your only car. Some have converted and do like it though.

I was torn between a Boxster [Spyder] and my 991 C2S cab. Went with the 991 to sell it to the family as having a back seat big enough for my daughter - although she's 10 now and that variable is all but gone. Also, I really wanted THE Porsche; a 911. Call it ego. If I were to do it again with the same budget, I'd have gotten a used/987.2 Boxster and an older coupe 911. If I did have that then I'd be thinking a 911 Cab like I have now

"Even when you have your dream car; you still have a dream car."
Old 02-08-2018, 09:22 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

"Unlike the 911 Porsche never built a 4 cylinder mid engine roaster and it showed"

A truly amazing statement at a Porsche enthusiast website!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:26 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
"Unlike the 911 Porsche never built a 4 cylinder mid engine roaster and it showed"

I don't even know what that means...
Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc

Sure, the 550s, 718s, RS60s, et al were a little warm in the cabin, but I wouldn't call them "roasters." So his statement is true.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981 Boxster to 991 Cab ??