991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Negotiations

Old 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

Unless you can get a rate of return greater than the internal rate of return in the lease it makes more sense to pay cash than lease. If you have to finance it then a lease may be cheaper.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skinzy
I've never leased so don't know the details well but have done a financial calc which always seems to be significantly more costly. You do get to drive a newer car but take 2 huge drive off lot depreciations. I looked at a lease over 8 year period with assumptions about salvage value and opportunity costs. (i.e. two 4 year leases vs buy car hold 8 yrs)
That's an imbalanced comparison -- you'd have to make the duration the same. The lease wins by a country mile if you consider cost of opportunity since you'd retain 80%+ of the capital at the outset. Given interest rates are at all time lows in the USA, borrowing money at say 6% today is going to be a significant advantage compared to the same cost of borrowing in say three or four years as the lease tails out.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carcommander
Unless you can get a rate of return greater than the internal rate of return in the lease it makes more sense to pay cash than lease. If you have to finance it then a lease may be cheaper.
Agree with this and I do assume all cash deal.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Indeed you'd be comparing taxed expense cash out versus pre-tax earning potential -- that becomes case specific. I think it's reasonable to use the assumption that cash in an investment portfolio over a five year compound return cannot be "guaranteed" to generate taxed returns exceeding the interest burden on the lease.

Aside from a house or a business acquisition, financing is madness and will invariably be the most expensive way to fly -- like smoking cigarettes ... just don't do it.

The lease creates the opportunity to have the liquidity to use that capital to other purposes and any earned interest defrays the net cost of the interest cost of the lease. At this point, I think accounting disappears into its own spreadsheet of approximate models. In practice, the $100K Porsche buyer has to look in the mirror and see if the person staring back has absolute, unchanging answers on keeping the car for 4+ years without doubt. The person in the mirror when I look, has been certain he was keeping the car ... five times in the last five years ... : )
Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Leasing is just an alternative method of financing. You are essentially borrowing money to acquire the car, and instead of paying principal and interest on the entire purchase price you're paying principal and interest on the difference between the purchase price and the residual value and paying interest only on the residual value. That's what makes the payments lower.

Obviously paying cash is the cheapest way to acquire a car, but as stated above, if the return you can get on your cash is higher than the cost of financing, then finance the car and invest your cash elsewhere. If you decide to finance, leasing gives you two big advantages. First, if you use your car for business, you get a far greater tax deduction on a high end car if you lease it rather than purchase it. Second, you have a guaranteed residual at the end of the lease. If your car is worth more than the residual, you can purchase it and either keep it or sell it at a profit. If your car is worth less than the residual, you can just give it back.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The person in the mirror when I look, has been certain he was keeping the car ... five times in the last five years ... : )
But the value of the grin that greeted your visage was...priceless?

Such a healthy affliction

At which point John Maynard walks up and reminds that in the long run.....
Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 AM
chailinchou
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case, I plan to keep the car for 5 years. Should I lease or buy?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chailinchou
In my case, I plan to keep the car for 5 years. Should I lease or buy?
You are in the middle ground where buying is clearly the right choice, but it will not save you as much as if you kept it for say 7-8 years. This of course will be greatly effected by the mileage and condition of the car in 5 years (cpo material ? ). Also you have to put a value on having two new porsches in 5 years, which is what leasing would do for you. As well as taking out the risk of material loss of value due to accidents etc which would lower the resale.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

In my case, I've decided to lease this time. I'm very unusual that I put 20-25K miles a year on my Porsche. In the past, I've bought and traded in my car after 2 years and near 50K miles and have taken a HUGE hit (especially thr last one, in which I had an accident).
So this time I've leased. Since Porsche only charges a ridiculously low extra 30 cents per mile for the extra milage, I will gladly pay the $6-7K penalty at the end of 2 years when I turn in my car with 45-50K miles.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Great info so far!
Does anyone know if Porsche is still running the 3 month lease buyout of current non-Porsche car payments in April or May? They were running it in March and I can not find info on the Edmunds section for deals/incentives anymore.
thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdkrp:10407708
Great info so far!
Does anyone know if Porsche is still running the 3 month lease buyout of current non-Porsche car payments in April or May? They were running it in March and I can not find info on the Edmunds section for deals/incentives anymore.
thanks
April yes, May? Don't know yet.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM
egraff
4th Gear

My dealer told me that the conquest program is on through the end of June. Just to be clear, Porsche doesn't buy out or pay off your lease. They'll give you a purchase price 'rebate' equal to up to 3 payments on a current competitive lease (max of $1,500 per payment, and aggregate cap of $4,500).
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by egraff
My dealer told me that the conquest program is on through the end of June. Just to be clear, Porsche doesn't buy out or pay off your lease. They'll give you a purchase price 'rebate' equal to up to 3 payments on a current competitive lease (max of $1,500 per payment, and aggregate cap of $4,500).
How is this factored into the new monthly lease cost. MB Credit had a similar program, but they did not really forgive the former leases, they just added it into new lease and amortized it over the period of new lease. If they do it like MB, it is quite easy to get upside down if you flip your lease a couple of times. Personally I hate auto leases and started only buying cars about 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM
ds2k1
Racer

I just got my 991S Cab last week. The dealer paid 3 months' worth of lease payments and used as to reduce the capitalized cost, equaling lower monthly payments. This was on top of the 6% discount already negotiated.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by windboat
How is this factored into the new monthly lease cost. MB Credit had a similar program, but they did not really forgive the former leases, they just added it into new lease and amortized it over the period of new lease. If they do it like MB, it is quite easy to get upside down if you flip your lease a couple of times. Personally I hate auto leases and started only buying cars about 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Porsche will write you a check for three times your payment. Sounds like you are referring to just rolling the cost into the next lease. That is no deal at all. Unless the rates have gone down you would save nothing in that scenario.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Price Negotiations