Sponsored by:

Customized Route on Nav

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts
Default Customized Route on Nav

Anybody know if you can make up a route on the PCM? For example, I want to go from A to B, but not with any of the options on the NAV but rather a customized route that I map out. Can this be done?
Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Good question! I used NAV for about the second time (in almost two years of ownership) last night and kept turning it off until it stopped trying to route me to highways.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Well, after much research, I have a solution. Not the best, but only one I could find. I have looked into customizing routes on Google maps and transferring to my phone, including looking at various apps, but cannot find anything that fits my criteria. Seems all nav systems are designed to get you from A to B in by the quickest or shortest way possible.

So what I wanted was to go from A to D, but by not by taking the shortest or quickest route. This would involve getting to D through back roads and twisties. So the solution I found was that the PCM allows you to enter "stopovers" along your route - so you program your PCM to go from A to D, with stopovers B and C, with B and C being addresses or coordinates along your back roads or twisties. Basically, you enter your final destination, and after you start your route, go to Options in the Nav menu and press Stopover and enter addresses along your backroads - I think you can enter a max of 4 stopovers.

Full instructions can be found on page 161 of the Porsche PCM Manual.

Post if you know of a better solution out there!
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:05 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the only solution I have found as well.

You can enter the destination and stopovers in any order, then change the order on the fly.

If you do this regularly, save the stopovers which you use to create this custom route as destinations, then adding them in is relatively easy as you can select "Previous destinations" while adding stopovers.

I use this to avoid driving through some cities as the "ring roads" aren't always selected, even though they bypass the heavy traffic and take a few miles further.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Well, after much research, I have a solution. Not the best, but only one I could find. I have looked into customizing routes on Google maps and transferring to my phone, including looking at various apps, but cannot find anything that fits my criteria. Seems all nav systems are designed to get you from A to B in by the quickest or shortest way possible. So what I wanted was to go from A to D, but by not by taking the shortest or quickest route. This would involve getting to D through back roads and twisties. So the solution I found was that the PCM allows you to enter "stopovers" along your route - so you program your PCM to go from A to D, with stopovers B and C, with B and C being addresses or coordinates along your back roads or twisties. Basically, you enter your final destination, and after you start your route, go to Options in the Nav menu and press Stopover and enter addresses along your backroads - I think you can enter a max of 4 stopovers. Full instructions can be found on page 161 of the Porsche PCM Manual. Post if you know of a better solution out there!
thanks I didn't know this. Very helpful!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:46 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

I use the stopover method as well to do many of my drives. You can go into navigation options to select avoidances such as highways, toll roads, etc or set the route for fastest time, shortest distance, etc.

Only thing about the nav system I haven't found an answer to (and don't think exists) is an ability to save a route programmed like above. Any of my sub $300 Garmins can do that easily. If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:43 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Our Navigation systems are driving me nuts. There are only a few route options per the manual (I'm going to stick with our 911): fast, short, ecological, trailer hitch. Then we have options like for including or avoiding: toll roads, freeways, ferries/car trains, tunnels, mountain passes. So a couple months ago, we leave a resort just outside Yosemite National Park with the system set on either fast or short (not sure which) and within a mile the NAV wants me to turn onto what is obviously a mountain logging road. We're in the mountains! Of course I ignore it. This continued time after time until I changed the setting, which made no difference. The system still wanted us to take off on minor side roads...even dirt roads. I should mention that we were heading for the Pacific Ocean coast, and the go-to route involved only 3 or 4 state highways, and only 1 way to get from the high mountains down to the Central CA valley. Finally I shut it off and got out my Rand McNally Road Atlas. Later I used it to get to a winery near Paso Robles and the system took me off the go-to paved road and we ended up on a dirt road that came out through the back gate of a private ranch property...before getting to the road we should have stayed on for the entire drive. FYI, on the Macan S a year ago when I was in New Mexico driving from Ruidoso to Cloudcroft via an Apache reservation, same thing: from studying Google Maps on my computer I knew exactly what road I needed to stay on. But the NAV system kept trying to get me to turn off on dirt roads that went - who knows where (and were posted with signs saying it was Reservation Property - Stay Out).

What are we doing wrong?
Old 08-15-2019, 01:08 AM
Guaji
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

The Nav system keeps on trying to send me into the HOV lanes. I need to figure out how to change that.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:12 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Old 08-15-2019, 01:29 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Quaji, same problem for me! I'm guessing the system recognizes that there is someone sitting in the passenger seat?? Otherwise, maybe someone "out there" will have an answer.
The following users liked this post:
Guaji (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:31 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I meant to type Guaji.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:06 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I only get the move to HOV if someone is in the passenger seat - pretty smart actually. Overall this is a subpar nav system compared to Waze.

Quick Reply: Customized Route on Nav