Sponsored by:

Mid April - my 991 Manual will arrive

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Seranad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid April - my 991 Manual will arrive

Just got the word today, that my car will arrive mid April which is about 2 weeks later than I was told when I ordered end of 2011.
2 more bits of information I got:

a) delivery time for a order right now is mid September in Germany for Coupe or Convertible, as demand has surged and since now all global regions have had the introductions the orders come in from everywhere

b) many exclusive options cannot be fulfilled right now and either are off the list again or only with huge delays (many month) - seems I got lucky with my carbon interior options as they are off the list right now

c) first guy in my dealership got his manual 991 today and after he drove it and my sales guy as well they were both very happy and impressed with the manual ... which relaxed me a bit after reading some critical first reviews

after I get my car, I will post an extensive review of the manual ... as so far I still have not found extensive reviews on the net of anyone.

have a great weekend you all!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Manual?
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!
Feel more than confident!
There's nothing like the manual in sport cars and there never will be...you're in control.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told that manual transmission car is the first allocation for this type of car for my dealer. It was originally scheduled to be completed on 3/27 but that date has actually moved in to 3/12. Should have the car in my hands second week of April.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Neducati
4th Gear

Congrats on your order. I too ordered a 7-spd manual. My order no. is 991110 and I was the first person to order a 991 from Porsche of Silver Spring (Maryland). The car is to be built in late March and delivered in mid-April. Can't wait to get it!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 PM
gupalo1974
AutoX

interesting 19hole, i ordered a 7MT as well with exclusive work and my date moved up from 3/27 to 3/12. pleasant surprise no doubt
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Congrats to all of you!

I too have a manual 991S (cab) on order but won't have it till June/July... which means August
Looking forward to the review on the stick shift as I too just took a leap of faith since I'm a little worried about the size of the foot-well...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
gupalo1974
AutoX

I sat in the 7mt at the detroit autos show and there is no problem with footwell space with the 3 pedals. i
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Originally Posted by gupalo1974
I sat in the 7mt at the detroit autos show and there is no problem with footwell space with the 3 pedals. i
Awesome, thanks for the heads-up!!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a 3/23 date with expected delivery date late April ... dealer told me yesterday it moved to 3/9 date ... I should have the car by 1st week of April at the latest

Car is a 991 S Manual ...
Old 03-04-2012, 03:22 AM
jdsc
Intermediate

I too had a build date that moved up on the Manual transmission. Originally April 2, now March 23. Gotta go out and buy some cigars to celebrate the new addition to the family! It's like waiting for Christmas to arrive when you are 8 years old, never seems like it will get here.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Are all these build dates moving forward a sign that sales are not as good as expected?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

I picked up my 991C2S manual On Thursday so thought some may like to hear comments on the gearbox. It's great! The shift action feels like a slightly less notchy version of the short shift kit I had on my 997.1 turbo with a fairly short throw. The shift lever falls easily to hand, the clutch is nicely weighted and the ratios seem pretty well spaced. There is plenty of space in the footwell (on RHD cars in any case) with a well placed foot rest for your clutch foot. You really do feel more involved in physically driving the car with the manual box compared to the test drive I had of the PDK demo car IMHO. The PDK is great for a car being used as a higher miles daily driver and I would have selected that option had that been what I wanted to use the car for. It certainly makes stop/go driving in heavy traffic much easier than the manual.

I think the negative reviews of the manual box probably centre around the tight spacing of the 7 gears across the shift gate. It takes a little time to become familiar with it but once you do it's fairly easy. The ratios themselves are quite widely spaced so I never felt like I needed to shift from 4th to 7th which some testers have commented on and criticised as it can't be done due to the lock out feature which only allows you to go from 5th or 6th in 7th. Shifting from 5th to 7th soon becomes second nature. If you regard 7th as effectively being a tall overdrive gear for highway cruising etc it's pretty easy to use the box as a 6 speed really most of the time.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Nav991
Intermediate

ISUK, thanks for the 7MT review.
You've eased some fears I had from reading some recent reviews. In particular the closely-spaced gates and the "notchiness" of the shifts.
Can you comment on whether there is any driveline lash, or "clunking" in the drive line.

Cheers.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't say I've experienced and driveline clunking issues. It's all pretty smooth. Even the stop-start system which works when you come to a halt, depress the clutch and shift the car out of gear is seemless. It's a little strange at first but you soon realise how quickly it re-engages the engine when you go to shift back into gear.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Originally Posted by ISUK
I picked up my 991C2S manual On Thursday so thought some may like to hear comments on the gearbox. It's great! The shift action feels like a slightly less notchy version of the short shift kit I had on my 997.1 turbo with a fairly short throw. The shift lever falls easily to hand, the clutch is nicely weighted and the ratios seem pretty well spaced. There is plenty of space in the footwell (on RHD cars in any case) with a well placed foot rest for your clutch foot. You really do feel more involved in physically driving the car with the manual box compared to the test drive I had of the PDK demo car IMHO. The PDK is great for a car being used as a higher miles daily driver and I would have selected that option had that been what I wanted to use the car for. It certainly makes stop/go driving in heavy traffic much easier than the manual.

I think the negative reviews of the manual box probably centre around the tight spacing of the 7 gears across the shift gate. It takes a little time to become familiar with it but once you do it's fairly easy. The ratios themselves are quite widely spaced so I never felt like I needed to shift from 4th to 7th which some testers have commented on and criticised as it can't be done due to the lock out feature which only allows you to go from 5th or 6th in 7th. Shifting from 5th to 7th soon becomes second nature. If you regard 7th as effectively being a tall overdrive gear for highway cruising etc it's pretty easy to use the box as a 6 speed really most of the time.
Good to hear.
Thanks for the review!

Quick Reply: Mid April - my 991 Manual will arrive