Sponsored by:

wow....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Now, THAT IS THE EXACT POINT, the car is improved and better, BUT it's no longer a 911 and has lost its spirit... it's a cross between Panamera and 911, to fit into the people who want GT while driving a sports car bearing Porsche badge, and who do not care/know/experienced the 911s in the past, and do not care if they can see the engine or change oil or mod the car.
Sorry but this is ridiculous. I assume you haven't even driven it yet. No longer a 911, that's truly funny. If that were the case, a 997 and a 996 would not be 911s either.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
That me may be the lamest self serving BS response I have ever read on rennlist!!! With all due respect you are driving a 997!! Leaps and bounds over a 996 ,, wider more stable Psm never turns off .. Track it an note the rear brake wear.. Hmmm makes you wonder!! These are not race cars these are not really track cars these are sports cars!! How many of the so called drivers here really hang their *** out on a hard sweeper ,, truly counter steering to keep in check ,, I mean come on .. You all say this and that but I'm calling you out.. Di you really drive the car 8/ 10ths .. I read all this bs then I see quite a few at the track and I would **** you away in a miata ...I am not trying to start anything but most folks won't drive 50% of any of the cars potential .. Yea I have instructed. For 10 yrs .. I have sat in the passenger seat enough to know..
Bahhhhh! And well said.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga;
am old enough to remember the same " I can not [/U][/B]believe the fugly water cooled car coming out, it is not a real 911". My favorite car is the one I own. That will be the 991 GT3 when ever it comes and it will have PDK.
Ha !
I am old enough to remember ALL of them !!

-1964: Replacing the 356 with WHAT ?? This huge, heavy, 6 cylinder car ?
-1969: The 911 soul is lost, they extended the wheelbase by 2.4" (sound familiar ?)
-1974: CIS, bumpers, low compression, soul is lost
-1989: a 911 in looks only, coil springs (!!) underneath, AWD, ugh
-1995: the 911 is lost, no more frog eye look, its become the 928 !!
-1998: Wait....watercooled ???!!!!
-2005: 997 is heavy, too many electronics, soul is lost
-2012: Longer wheelbase (see 1969), no longer a sports car, now a GT, blah blah blah

I have owned at least one of every series--72 911S, 87 Carrera, 94 RS America, 97 993 C4S, 98 C2S, 98 986, 02 996 Turbo, 07 GT3, 11 GT3RS--and I love the 991...cant wait for the GT3 variants.

wsh
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like it or not, the new 991S is the new equivalent to a 997.2 GT3 (without the wing). If you want it determined by track times, the 991S pulled the dame lap number as the 997.2 GT3 at Nurburgring. Walter Rohrl said it all in a recent interview. When asked about the lap times he stated "that should say it all".

So, the GT3 variants should be mind blowing. I am deciding to order a new 991
S in lieu of a used '10 or '11 GT3 RS. Yeah, yeah, yeah - two different types of cars - but I am not going to truly "track" the car. If I want a track car, I will buy a separate car just for the track. My intent with the RS was just DEs. So a nicely 991S will be fine. Besides, the wife said I can get another new one in 3-4 years. Should be just about right for the new RS - or a used 4.0. Will have to wait an see.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Mrm930 ... Good plan!!!
I will have 991 GT3... I already have a sub 2:00 VIR E36 not trying to make this a race car
Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Gas Passer
Intermediate

I drove the 991S pdk without SC today and was very very impressed as well 930 Man, but I drive a lowly '07 S . The rev matches and exhaust note were a thing of beauty, better than I could imagine doing. Was hoping not to like it, now have to decide should I wait till the 50th anniversary car to come out??? Nice dilemma to have.

@930man.....loved your yellow GT3 with the yellow deviated stitching inside. Think I gave your old GTS4 a ride at Leith. Was disappointed in the PSE, thought my 997.1 with PSE sounded better. Did u get PSE on your 991S???
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 PM
packwest
Advanced

Drove a PDK for the first time on launch day. I was bored with it. Yeah it's faster than any human can shift manually. But I didn't have as much fun with it. After the test drive, my impression of the new car was "awesome"!! My impression of the PDK was "I don't see what the big deal is all about". JMHO.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Ha !
I am old enough to remember ALL of them !!

-1964: Replacing the 356 with WHAT ?? This huge, heavy, 6 cylinder car ?
-1969: The 911 soul is lost, they extended the wheelbase by 2.4" (sound familiar ?)
-1974: CIS, bumpers, low compression, soul is lost
-1989: a 911 in looks only, coil springs (!!) underneath, AWD, ugh
-1995: the 911 is lost, no more frog eye look, its become the 928 !!
-1998: Wait....watercooled ???!!!!
-2005: 997 is heavy, too many electronics, soul is lost
-2012: Longer wheelbase (see 1969), no longer a sports car, now a GT, blah blah blah

I have owned at least one of every series--72 911S, 87 Carrera, 94 RS America, 97 993 C4S, 98 C2S, 98 986, 02 996 Turbo, 07 GT3, 11 GT3RS--and I love the 991...cant wait for the GT3 variants.

wsh
I am not old enough to remember all of them, but I clearly remember hating the 964C4 at the Porsche Driving Experience in 1991 (I had a 1970 911T at the time, which was a far better car than my good friend's 1974 911S), and even though it was considered a bold, revolutionary step in 911 progress, look at 964C4 values now (and 1974 values) compared to preceding and subsequent generations. I also remember thinking the 993C4S felt more like the 535i I had in 1996 than my 911SC at the time, and wondering why anybody would buy a 996 over an E46 M3, even after the facelift. While 993s are obviously greatly loved, a colleague gave his 996 to his gardener last year because he couldn't unload it.

And I am one of those that thinks the 991 went too far into GT category, regardless of how well it drives (I haven't taken the opportunity yet).

I guess my point is, sometimes the latest, greatest 911 turns out to not be that great, regardless of initial hype, and that historically Porsche significantly improves it with the next generation. I am hopeful this will be the case with the 991.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:39 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I think most drivers will love the 991, but there will always be some who don't. And it's fine for each side to express his or her opinion. However, to say that someone who doesn't appreciate the pendulum-like handling of a "true" 911 should be driving something else is uncalled for. What's wrong with just enjoying the car as a daily driver, heading out on back road weekend jaunts using 60% of its potential, or smiling from ear to ear as one cruises along the interstate at somewhat above the legal limit? What's wrong with with being safe and comfortable while still having one's own idea of driving fun? What's wrong with getting satisfaction from just parking the car, walking away, turning back to look at it and saying "What a beautiful car, I'm glad it's mine?"

In 2000, while driving a 1991 C4 (the third of my five 911s), I hit a wet spot in the middle of a fast corner on a mountain road and the car suddenly lost grip. I overcorrected, spun the car around once, and ended up back end into the berm on the opposite side of the road. Luckily, there was no one coming in the opposite direction, and I ended up with just damaged sheet metal and wounded pride. I really don't want that to happen again.

When a driver like Matt sings the praises of the 991, I for one have to sit up and take notice. It means that if the 991 gives HIM that much pleasure, we drivers possessing much less talent are going to have a great time driving it - and be safe and comfortable to boot.

By the way, after my test drive I agree with his assessment of the PDK, but I still need that clutch and manual gearshift.

One last thing regarding the lack of engine visibility. Have you looked under the hood of your 997.2 recently? I have. Ain't no engine to be seen under there, either.

That all being said, it's been fun reading the banter in this thread.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgcrun
I think most drivers will love the 991, but there will always be some who don't. And it's fine for each side to express his or her opinion. However, to say that someone who doesn't appreciate the pendulum-like handling of a "true" 911 should be driving something else is uncalled for. What's wrong with just enjoying the car as a daily driver, heading out on back road weekend jaunts using 60% of its potential, or smiling from ear to ear as one cruises along the interstate at somewhat above the legal limit? What's wrong with with being safe and comfortable while still having one's own idea of driving fun? What's wrong with getting satisfaction from just parking the car, walking away, turning back to look at it and saying "What a beautiful car, I'm glad it's mine?"

In 2000, while driving a 1991 C4 (the third of my five 911s), I hit a wet spot in the middle of a fast corner on a mountain road and the car suddenly lost grip. I overcorrected, spun the car around once, and ended up back end into the berm on the opposite side of the road. Luckily, there was no one coming in the opposite direction, and I ended up with just damaged sheet metal and wounded pride. I really don't want that to happen again.

When a driver like Matt sings the praises of the 991, I for one have to sit up and take notice. It means that if the 991 gives HIM that much pleasure, we drivers possessing much less talent are going to have a great time driving it - and be safe and comfortable to boot.

By the way, after my test drive I agree with his assessment of the PDK, but I still need that clutch and manual gearshift.

One last thing regarding the lack of engine visibility. Have you looked under the hood of your 997.2 recently? I have. Ain't no engine to be seen under there, either.

That all being said, it's been fun reading the banter in this thread.
nicely said
Old 02-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

930MAN & WSH: thank you for posting your comments on the 991.
As a 997.1RS owner I was very curious what "GT series 911" drivers thought about the new model. Chris Harris's comments where similar to yours (last Evo mag).

I have not had the chance to drive the new model, but after your comments I think I should stay away; I love my RS, but....maybe I should wait until the 991RS.
Actually, I'm going to get a muffler bypass & some bucket seats; that'll keep myself & the wife happy.

& actually I love all 911's. All years. They're all incredible!!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Nan P

& actually I love all 911's. All years. They're all incredible!!
Now, THERE'S a sensible statement. I totally agree.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Now, THERE'S a sensible statement. I totally agree.
nice
Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

....it's no longer a 911 and has lost its spirit...
I was at a Porsche Club autocross with my dad with his new '65 356 SC when I saw my first 911. Looked frog-eyed...but, geez it was fast. (I was stupid enough to beat him in his own car, so it was the last one we went to....)

Across the years, every time Porsche comes out with a new model, a chorus (mostly from people who forked out the money for the last new model) start singing that the new car is a travesty and they own the last "real" Porsche. Some 356 owners still sing that song.

An interesting way to maintain a sense of superiority. (seems like we see similar claims about religion, politics,....)

With greater refinement, the model will lose come character over previous models. Happens every time. Not bad.

If every one has great table manners, dinners can be a lot less interesting. Possibly more pleasant. Just different. But you'll have fewer stories to tell (the ritual it takes to get it started, the unique way it can bite you on certain corners, the....)

991 looks like a great car.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot

Across the years, every time Porsche comes out with a new model, a chorus (mostly from people who forked out the money for the last new model) start singing that the new car is a travesty and they own the last "real" Porsche. Some 356 owners still sing that song.
Aint that the truth. There's a lot of that going on right now.

IMO, Anyone who owns a 996 on and says that, is speaking a little out of both sides. The 996 was when Porsche created the GT3 concept - where that was the raw more "purist" track oriented car. The Carrera is still an amazing sports car, but you can live with it daily. My 3.2 would be a chore to live with daily. AC (not really), BT (nah), heating (****ty), targa leak resistant (nah), etc. All other daily GT's that these people say the 991 is becoming like, weigh 10,000 pounds and cannot really be tracked for more than a lap or two. Look at the Maserati GT. The 991 will hold up well at the track and will be a real performer - close to a 997.2GT3 in that regard. You can then drive it home in style with your heated seats listening to the Burm - sign me up.

It is by all means a great 911. Are there some things i'd quibble about - sure. Not sure i like the sunroof design. But if someone gave me a straight up swap for my car - i'd take it.

For Pete's sake, the 991 is lighter than the 997. Thats a first in todays day and age.

Quick Reply: wow....