Sponsored by:

After Your Test Drive...What If

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 AM
jmsc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post After Your Test Drive...What If

you did not like the changes in the new electric steering?

Do you walk away, keep your 993-6-7, buy the 991 anyways?

If Porsche can remove unwanted feedback in the steering they certainly can add it back in at a future date, just like they did with the changes to the 996's fried-egg headlights and the coke-bottle rear look.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM
jrt600
Intermediate

Presumably 'steering feel' in electric based steering system is pretty much a function of software, not hardware. As such, why couldn't, or better yet why didn't, Porsche offer the old steering feel as well as their new version? One could select which steering feel they wanted through the push of a button. Seems like a simple enough solution (other than the additional testing and programming, that is) that would've kept most everybody happy - Germans could have their high speed steering stability, and Americans could have the legendary Porsche steering feedback.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 PM
jjoey
Intermediate

I wonder if they can/will patch the 991 electric assist steering with a software update at a later time once it has gone live for a few months.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

997 cup cars have electric steering and no one complains about it. it is not an issue with technology of mechanical part, it is a question what electronic assist brains will do exactly based on your inputs.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsc

If Porsche can remove unwanted feedback in the steering they certainly can add it back in at a future date, just like they did with the changes to the 996's fried-egg headlights and the coke-bottle rear look.
If I don't like the 991, I'll probably look at a used 997 GT3 or TT for my next 911.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Carrara
Instructor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
997 cup cars have electric steering and no one complains about it. it is not an issue with technology of mechanical part, it is a question what electronic assist brains will do exactly based on your inputs.
Don't the cup cars have an electrically driven hydraulic pump though? I don't believe it is pure electric. Very different system from the 991.

One more thing that could be contributing to loss of steering feel, the 991 has some new sort of dash frame, which they say significantly reduces engine vibrations to the steering wheel. Who doesn't want to feel a 400hp flat-6 vibrate at their fingertips? The 991 is a fantastic looking car, but if you're looking for a car based on driving pleasure, you're best off looking at the 993s, and 997s (if you need to use it everyday). I'm confident though that the 992 will be a great car (the 996 kind of sucked, but on the second generation of that platform they got it right with the 997. Hopefully the second version on the 991 platform will be awesome as well with all of the kinks worked out!).
Old 12-06-2011, 12:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Cup cars have hydraulic assist with an electrical pump to power the hydraulics. Totally different. No software - zero, nada.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

friend that works for porsche and drives every car they make said for me to:

not order the power steering assist option, also said sport chrono is a vast improvement because of the included adaptive mounts, that PDCC is not necessary, and said dont bother with the sport exhaust as the difference is negligible..

he did say the normal steering is great but the assist option comes in too often to help/change the dynamics.

Last edited by rijowysock; 12-06-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsc

Depends.

Every really "new" car has different things than the previous model ... above the styling, which is often obvious.

I will have to view the car and drive it to determine how I feel about it. I've owned more than a handful of 911s going back to the late 60s. Each was 'different', and altho the creature comforts continued to evolve, the cars were each somewhat better than the previous one .... but, not on all levels.

All had more power/torque, more options, more gears, more colors, and ... were BIGGER cars. Most of this is good, IMO.

Many argued that the new 'stuff' added to the cars made the car less than what it was originally intended. The Model T vs the Mustang GT comes to mind as well. And, I have weighed in on this before, too. On both sides. I was dropped (thrown ?) as a child, so I have this dichotomy going.

All of us that are considering the 991 will have to make decisions. And, there are several to make as jmsc posed. For me, I'll either get a 991, buy my 997 TT ... or, 'rent' some other deal until the Turbo comes out and make another decision then.

I'll prolly get a 991. (sigh ...) I really do like my 997 Turbo, tho. (sigh ...)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I need more than a test drive to make a decision such as this. By the time I've spent a lot of seat time, I will probably have been brainwashed and not notice any difference. Cheers.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM
equ
Racer

Originally Posted by rijowysock
friend that works for porsche and drives every car they make said for me to:

not order the power steering assist option, also said sport chrono is a vast improvement because of the included adaptive mounts, that PDCC is not necessary, and said dont bother with the sport exhaust as the difference is negligible..

he did say the normal steering is great but the assist option comes in too often to help/change the dynamics.
These suggestions ring true. A big change happened in BMW's recently, the 5-series for 2011 got completely new steering. The sporty/adaptive/magic optioned 550i that I drove steered much worse than the basic 535i. Both were worse than the older generation.

My a4 has electric steering. When mode is set to 'dynamic', it's quite all right. Not quite porsche steering, but decent. There is good precision and a small amount of feedback. With mode set to auto/comfort, the assistance/boost is too much and it made the car unpleasant to drive. Still though, even in dynamic, I can tell that assist has a slight mind of its own. There is a lot that goes into that software, recent effort, speed etc.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I am going to stay in my '09 Turbo and wait to get a second generation/facelifted 991 S. I figure by the time they get the kinks worked out of the first gen 991, I will be ready to add to the stable again.

Quick Reply: After Your Test Drive...What If