Sponsored by:

991 vs Audi R8 Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 914 Posts
Default 991 vs Audi R8 Video

I trust the 4S (a fairer comp) will acquit itself even better...

Old 11-25-2011, 11:03 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Is that a base 991? Embarassing for R8 if so.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
Is that a base 991? Embarassing for R8 if so.

clip says it's an S

Not that it's a big deal, but wasn't the GTS good for a 4 sec 0-60 with launch control?

*Edit*

NM, just read the other "Inside Line Tests Manual 991" thread.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These stupid performance numbers have descended into irrelevance. These days it's hard to find a car that doesn't do 0-60 under 5 seconds. Anyone obsessing over .1 seconds in this or that performance measure is so completely removed from the joy of driving, its a wonder they bother with cars at all.

The modern day car culture seems to revolve around middle aged men spending huge sums on the latest grand touring cars, driving at the 45mph speed limit to the Saturday cars and coffee meetup to show off their .1 second faster (on paper) self-worth-on-wheels and talk about the latest topgear episode, then on the drive home hit the "sport" button and attempt to impress their justifiably nervous wives around a two-lane onramp while being passed on the outside by a soccer mom in a camry who's late for the game but doesnt know she's in a race for street cred.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:46 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
These stupid performance numbers have descended into irrelevance. These days it's hard to find a car that doesn't do 0-60 under 5 seconds. Anyone obsessing over .1 seconds in this or that performance measure is so completely removed from the joy of driving, its a wonder they bother with cars at all.

The modern day car culture seems to revolve around middle aged men spending huge sums on the latest grand touring cars, driving at the 45mph speed limit to the Saturday cars and coffee meetup to show off their .1 second faster (on paper) self-worth-on-wheels and talk about the latest topgear episode, then on the drive home hit the "sport" button and attempt to impress their justifiably nervous wives around a two-lane onramp while being passed on the outside by a soccer mom in a camry who's late for the game but doesnt know she's in a race for street cred.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

that's just great prose
Old 11-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Originally Posted by Domer911
that's just great prose
So let me get this straight....if I had been correct, and that HAD been a PDK equipped S, and it was almost a half second slower than a GTS, it would have been irrelevant. Because it's hard to find a performance car that doesn't do a sub 5 second 0-60.

:BS:

Those bemoaning the fact the 991 is a Panamera coupe would be bitching "it's a half second slower than a GTS."

It was a simple mistake, so get off your high horse.

When the car costs $120k, it matters.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:18 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
So let me get this straight....if I had been correct, and that HAD been a PDK equipped S, and it was almost a half second slower than a GTS, it would have been irrelevant. Because it's hard to find a performance car that doesn't do a sub 5 second 0-60.

:BS:

Those bemoaning the fact the 991 is a Panamera coupe would be bitching "it's a half second slower than a GTS."

It was a simple mistake, so get off your high horse.

When the car costs $120k, it matters.
Doesn't matter to me. I buy 911s because of the styling, the feel through the steering wheel, the rock-hard brakes and the sound. I couldn't care less if it was 4.5, 4.0. 6.3 or any other numbers of seconds to 60...

Heck, I drove a new Boss Mustang on track recently and it would eat my 911 alive. What a machine! Still don't WANT one...
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
Combination to you bicycle lock? ;-)
Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Has an R8 ever been on a track and won a race?

Didn't think so...
Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Doesn't matter to me. I buy 911s because of the styling, the feel through the steering wheel, the rock-hard brakes and the sound. I couldn't care less if it was 4.5, 4.0. 6.3 or any other numbers of seconds to 60...

Heck, I drove a new Boss Mustang on track recently and it would eat my 911 alive. What a machine! Still don't WANT one...
6.3? really?

I want it all.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:52 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
6.3? really?

I want it all.
Yes, really. Ever driven a first gen Miata? It's a blast because you feel like you're going like hell and about to die any minute. Tiny little tires mean you can drift it at parking lot speeds.

I can honestly say that the numbers are meaningless to me as a purchase motivator.

Do I enjoy seeing them generated? Of course. Do I care if an R8 is "faster" than a 911? Nope.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:55 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick Reply: 991 vs Audi R8 Video