Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside Line track tests manual 991 S

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 01:33 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

[QUOTE=jrt600;9048382]I'd go with 400hp, since that's how porscheusa.com is advertising it. Reminds me of the BMW Z8 being rated 400hp, but often quoted at 394hp as well.

As far as 0-60, quarter-mile times, etc, I agree it's all about the total package, which is why I buy Porsches and not Corvettes, GT-Rs, etc. But part of that 'total package' is accelerative ability, especially since the opportunity to floor it presents itself more often than the chance to test the handling limits of a car. As such a car's acceleration is just as important to daily enjoyment of that car as handling ability. And maybe I'm vain, but I don't want (or expect) my $120k Porsche sports car to be slower than my wife's $75k Mercedes CLS550. Perhaps I am just expecting too much from Porsche in this respect. Regardless, if people out there don't think 0-60, quarter-mile times, etc are important when discussing the merits of a sports car, then we will just have to agree to disagree.[/QUOTE

I agree completely with this. P needs more zoot for a car this expensive.
Jim
Old 11-24-2011, 04:13 AM
Jbmike
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been lurking here for a while as I've been looking into getting rid of my STI in favor of a later model 996. Gotta say, I love your forum guys, great stuff. What boss tucker says about 0-60 times isn't too far off base. I interned at Hearst communications as an editorial intern (for those of you who don't know, Hearst is behind many magazines including Car and Driver) and got an opportunity to head over to C&D to see a car get tested (2011-12 Audi S or RS model, not allowed to say which). I was surprised to see them using 1 foot rollout judiciously which they said subtracts about .2-.3 seconds off the 0-60 time. Bosstucker was slightly mislead in other aspects. They did remove the spare tire and the emergency kit, but the car did have a quarter tank of gas, and all floor mats stayed in! I asked and apparently many of the other magazines practice similar methods.

Thanks for your great forum guys, if I do end up biting the bullet and getting a 911, I'll be glad to finally be a "real" member and contribute to this fine community.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:24 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in this article IL says "expect 0-60 time of..."

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...lus-video.html
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Imperial vs Metric...

Originally Posted by kosmo
BTW is it 400hp or 394hp???
Both are correct, the first reflects the Metric definition of horsepower [735.5 Watts/hp(metric)] and the latter the Imperial definition [745.7 Watts/hp(imperial)]

In SI units the engine produces 294kW
Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by jrt600
I'd go with 400hp, since that's how porscheusa.com is advertising it. Reminds me of the BMW Z8 being rated 400hp, but often quoted at 394hp as well.

As far as 0-60, quarter-mile times, etc, I agree it's all about the total package, which is why I buy Porsches and not Corvettes, GT-Rs, etc. But part of that 'total package' is accelerative ability, especially since the opportunity to floor it presents itself more often than the chance to test the handling limits of a car. As such a car's acceleration is just as important to daily enjoyment of that car as handling ability. And maybe I'm vain, but I don't want (or expect) my $120k Porsche sports car to be slower than my wife's $75k Mercedes CLS550. Perhaps I am just expecting too much from Porsche in this respect. Regardless, if people out there don't think 0-60, quarter-mile times, etc are important when discussing the merits of a sports car, then we will just have to agree to disagree.
I am not sure why some say 0-60 times and straight line acceleration is not important when that's what we do many times over taking it to its handling limit. Even for those who take their cars to the track, how often do you drive it on there vs just regular streets...my 2 cents.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:26 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GoTexas
I am not sure why some say 0-60 times and straight line acceleration is not important when that's what we do many times over taking it to its handling limit. Even for those who take their cars to the track, how often do you drive it on there vs just regular streets...my 2 cents.
I agree. At this price point, EVERYTHING is important.

Quick Reply: Inside Line track tests manual 991 S