991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the 991 should have been...

Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts
Default What the 991 should have been...

I do not mean an air-cooled engine, but a less bulky, less-GT, more 11 version.

DP Motorsport drapes 1973 Porsche 911 in carbon fiber gorgeousness.

Last edited by ADias; 11-18-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Thank you. I thought I was the only one thinking that as the 911 continues to get further from it's roots. I bought a 997S new, it was my 12th Porsche and I thought it was pretty disappointing for $100K, so much that I'm going to pass on the 991. What I would give for a 2500 pound 350+ HP 911 that felt like a sports car.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:38 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Tony, I am so glad that the 991 is not anywhere close to that. Is it was I would have taken a serious bath on the 997 to 991 swap. Phew .. Thank you Porsche.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:41 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So that car is just a near cost-no-object of how we hacked pretty much every dead longhood or 2.7L car up throughout the '80s? I even did my own on a '68 (~2100 lb. widebody w/ 2.7RS spec engine) when I was 19 back in '81.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I do not mean an air-cooled engine, but a less bulky, less-GT, more 11 version.
Porsche just took a big look back with the 997. Personally, I'm glad the new car shows respect to the past, but looks forward again.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:02 AM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 991 is not an enthusiast's car. It is designed for the rising upper class in "developing" countries. Many of these people have likely learned how to drive relatively late in life and will need all the help they can get. China is THE growth market for luxury automobiles and while many of those millionaires (60% by some estimates) are laying the groundwork to get their wealth and their families out of mainland China, they will still be a significant buyer of the 991 once they leave China.

Like it or not Porsche runs a business, historically one of the most profitable car producing businesses in the world. They will continue to produce "enthusiast versions" at the end of the run life but that represents a very small part of overall sales. Despite Porsche saying the U.S. remains the company's most important market that is a disingenuous statement. In terms of volume, yes, today that is true. But growth is the holy grail of business and that is going to come from countries that have created enormous wealth and where there is pent-up buying demand.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tangram
The 991 is not an enthusiast's car. It is designed for the rising upper class in "developing" countries. Many of these people have likely learned how to drive relatively late in life and will need all the help they can get. China is THE growth market for luxury automobiles and while many of those millionaires (60% by some estimates) are laying the groundwork to get their wealth and their families out of mainland China, they will still be a significant buyer of the 991 once they leave China.

Like it or not Porsche runs a business, historically one of the most profitable car producing businesses in the world. They will continue to produce "enthusiast versions" at the end of the run life but that represents a very small part of overall sales. Despite Porsche saying the U.S. remains the company's most important market that is a disingenuous statement. In terms of volume, yes, today that is true. But growth is the holy grail of business and that is going to come from countries that have created enormous wealth and where there is pent-up buying demand.
Which was said probably when the first 911 (901!) was unveiled. A bit before my time though, so I have no first-hand knowledge. But when I came into this in 1980, all the blabber about the then-pretty-new SC (hell, what could a 930 have actually been without a sunroof, power windows, A/C, and that oh-so-hot Blaupunkt???) was that it was a luxo-barge only made to cater to the "rising upper class." (Though the thought of developing countries was a few decades off.) Rinse and repeat for the 3.2 Carreras, 964s, 993s, and a total jumping of the shark with the 996.

Life evolves. They were on life support in the 964 era and adapted. I think they sold 1500 of them here in '92. This model is the first "new" 911 I'd give a passing thought to since the 993. Granted, we're talking me getting a '12 in '20. But as an automatic convertible for just rolling up and down the road it would be nice. God knows you can't even sniff at using the performance; you're still driving under the limits of a decent 912 on the street. And on track there really won't be any of these I'd find more appealing in stock form versus my present stone-age air cooled.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautifully put. And so true.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Agreed.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're trying to sell the notion that people who've been successful in a cut throat business environment like China are not sophisticated enough consumers to appreciate a 911? All the upper middle class westerners driving Porsches are true enthusiasts skilled in driving their 911s to the limit?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zanwar
You're trying to sell the notion that people who've been successful in a cut throat business environment like China are not sophisticated enough consumers to appreciate a 911? All the upper middle class westerners driving Porsches are true enthusiasts skilled in driving their 911s to the limit?
I do not think that he's stating that. I think what he's saying is that more and more new customers are used to robotized transportation, they learned to drive in soft cars with little or no dynamic feedback. That is what new customers are used to and expect (worldwide) and PAG knows that.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I do not think that he's stating that. I think what he's saying is that more and more new customers are used to robotized transportation, they learned to drive in soft cars with little or no dynamic feedback. That is what new customers are used to and expect (worldwide) and PAG knows that.
You of course know how bad the 991 is going to be because of all of your experience test driving them right? Gotta love a guy who'll knock something without even trying it.

Let me guess, you drive a 997?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ray S
You of course know how bad the 991 is going to be because of all of your experience test driving them right? Gotta love a guy who'll knock something without even trying it.

Let me guess, you drive a 997?
Can you read? I never said the 991 is bad. I always said the 991 is better, better performer than the 997.2, just different.

FYI... some of us can read a spec sheet and infer performance differences. In the case of the 991 it was actually pretty easy. The differences I predicted have been confirmed to a 'T' by all published reviews - larger car feel, quieter/more isolated, less chatty steering, very 'stable' (read less pendulum), less 911. But... a higher performance envelope. Understand now?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:41 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Am I correct in thinking you are a somewhat older gentleman ? I get that impression from reading your 991 posts. Your 997II is young and Porsche builds long lasting cars. Can't you just make your car last for the rest of your life ? Problem solved, no ?
And let the rest who like the 991 enjoy the car. Every post you make regarding that car is the same. Why waste your energy constantly repeating yourself?

Just saying...

If I am out of line I apologize and blame the language difference
Old 11-20-2011, 12:43 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Beautifully put. And so true.
except from the 60% suggestion. oh, and you can buy P-cars there, sure, they're a tad more than here, but not all wealthy chinese are looking to bail. yes, many are - and I get that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What the 991 should have been...